• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2013 - 2014 Season

markov is a hell of a lot younger
Maybe in actual age, but he's older than Timonen in knee wear & tear - and exponentially declining.

The GM who signs Markov to a multi-year deal will start regretting towards the end of yr-2.

I don't know how else to say this Sal but you're full of crap on that one.

Maybe in actual age, but he's older than Timonen in knee wear & tear - and exponentially declining.

The GM who signs Markov to a multi-year deal will start regretting towards the end of yr-2.

Actually some would argue that the fact he practically missed two full seasons has somewhat helped his body.

I mean look at Mcdonagh who looked horrible in the finals, worse than Markov has ever looked and he' ten years younger.

Eventually you run out of gas over a long season and Matkov had a long season. But iverall I think the guy can still play another and guve another two years of quality hockey

I don't know how else to say this Sal but you're full of crap on that one.
No way in hell I give Markov 3 or 4-yrs - 2-yrs max, if his decline shows in yr-2 need to suck it up for a few months not another full season.

so what , Markov should be on 1 year deals if he wants to stay a Hab

Trust me you think he is a turnstile now on some nights , lets see what he looks like in year 3 of a deal

He is a 4 on very good team right now , no longer a 22-25 minute horse , his workload needs to be reduced and not interested in paying 18 m over 3 for sentimental reasons

This sport is nuts , still paying front line money to declining assets knowing it only goes downhill from here.

Do the Lidstrom 1 year at a time Markov , we paid you good money in rehab .

Wha???

He's a four on "very good teams"? What? Do you actually watch any hockey outside of the Habs?

In this upcoming season, he'd be at the very least a three on the teams with the best d-men crew in the league in the league. He'd be a #3 in St. Louis, a #3 in Chicago, a #2 in LA, a #2 in New York, a #3 in Boston, he could arguably be San Jose & Anaheim's #1... I mean, what are you talking about?

Wha???

He's a four on "very good teams"? What? Do you actually watch any hockey outside of the Habs?

In this upcoming season, he'd be at the very least a three on the teams with the best d-men crew in the league in the league. He'd be a #3 in St. Louis, a #3 in Chicago, a #2 in LA, a #2 in New York, a #3 in Boston, he could arguably be San Jose & Anaheim's #1... I mean, what are you talking about?

Markov at this stage cant defend to be a 2 for 82 games and playoffs , thats the problem . Any team who needs him to be a legit Seabrook type 2 is desperate like we are .

He can help on the pp but his defending skills and wheels have slipped since his days as a 1.

I am not putting him ahead of Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk or Jaybo in St Louis as an example

We arent winning anything in the next 2 years so unless he does the Lidstrom 1 year I dont want him .

I am not a fan of paying big money to the wrong players in general , but if you are going to retain him for 3 years as an example see if you can entice Niskanen to come here for 6 mil at least he is right handed shot and only 27 .

I dont want this wash rinse repeat team year in year out . I admire his effort but his expiry date is almost up just like Boyle was with San Jose .

Time for change , dont be fooled with this Cinderella run as a base to move forward .

Markov at this stage cant defend to be a 2 for 82 games and playoffs , thats the problem . Any team who needs him to be a legit Seabrook type 2 is desperate like we are .

You mean that same Chicago team that won two cups with Seabrook as their #2? And that lost in game 7 of the Western Conference finals to the eventual Cup winners? What a bunch of losers.

He can help on the pp but his defending skills and wheels have slipped since his days as a 1.

He won't just help a PP, he'd be a PP general on almost all the teams in the NHL. He has gotten slower over time.

I am not putting him ahead of Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk or Jaybo in St Louis as an example

St. Louis might be the only team you can probably argue Markov could be a #4, but I'd take him over Shattenkirk right now. Better defensively and about the same offensively.

We arent winning anything in the next 2 years so unless he does the Lidstrom 1 year I dont want him .

We're not winning in two years anyway, so why bother icing a team, let's just forfeit the year.

I am not a fan of paying big money to the wrong players in general , but if you are going to retain him for 3 years as an example see if you can entice Niskanen to come here for 6 mil at least he is right handed shot and only 27 .

It's funny how you mention giving big money to the wrong players in general and bring up Matt Niskanen. That very same Matt Niskanen who had more points this year than his previous last three seasons combined? The same Matt Niskanen who's an upcoming UFA and will be looking to cash in? Oh.

So what happens if you let Markov walk and you sign Naskanen to a 6 year $36M contract and he plays at a ~20-25 point pace like he did in 4 of his 7 NHL seasons?

I mean, it's not like Markov is almost a shoe-in to play on a 45 points every year. Wait...

I dont want this wash rinse repeat team year in year out . I admire his effort but his expiry date is almost up just like Boyle was with San Jose .

Yeah, it's totally Markov's fault we lost in the conference finals, not that we lost our #1 goalie midway through game 1 or that Vanek went MIA or that most of our forwards couldn't score.

Or maybe they let Boyle go because he's about to turn 38 and they don't have any capspace. He's still a half-decent player.

Time for change , dont be fooled with this Cinderella run as a base to move forward .

lol

Change for the sake of change. You sound like the Cliff Fletcher in his second run with Toronto.

While we're at it, let's trade Price. Oh, and Pacioretty too. Never won anything with either one of those two dum dums anyway.

Actually some would argue that the fact he practically missed two full seasons has somewhat helped his body.

I mean look at Mcdonagh who looked horrible in the finals, worse than Markov has ever looked and he' ten years younger.

Eventually you run out of gas over a long season and Matkov had a long season. But iverall I think the guy can still play another and guve another two years of quality hockey

lol Don, that's a major stretch. McDonagh wasn't as prevalent against the Kings as he was us but he still was their best D-man and put up minutes that would see Markov in cardiac arrest on the ice.

The plan with Markov should be a 2-yr extension where he drops to the 2nd pairing and sits out some games to rest. The problem with that (other than Markov won't accept a 2-yr deal) is MT will overuse him just like he will do with Gionta when he gets resigned and we'll have same issues come the playoffs.

how many cups does Markov have ? How many stellar playoffs has he had in his career ? NONE

If Markov was 29 and I could work with him until we MAYBE are ready to compete for something , sign him .

At 36 in December , in decline, he should be a second pairing d man playing 20 minutes tops a night and no need for 3 years at stupid money

Cliff Fletcher was a moron , patching and bandaiding to futility and thats what we will do inking him to 3-4 years

We didnt lose because of Markov , I clearly stated we lost cause our top 6 is NOT GOOD ENOUGH , to win a war of attrition and as constructed will never be good enough .

Regardless what Markov does , we are missing 2 ELITE talents to get to the next level , PK and Price are elite , thats it , we need 2 more.

Dont be silly Max is 25 not 36 on a great cap number why would I trade him unless I rip someone off like we were raped in the Gomez deal . Max is good , he could score 40 for all I care , until he gets his lazy

perimeter ass involved in the play and COMPETES like a top forward , he is not elite in my books . Carter , Wiliams, Gaborik , Kopitar outplayed him , even the Kings secondary players outplayed him.

lol Don, that's a major stretch. McDonagh wasn't as prevalent against the Kings as he was us but he still was their best D-man and put up minutes that would see Markov in cardiac arrest on the ice.

The plan with Markov should be a 2-yr extension where he drops to the 2nd pairing and sits out some games to rest. The problem with that (other than Markov won't accept a 2-yr deal) is MT will overuse him just like he will do with Gionta when he gets resigned and we'll have same issues come the playoffs.

:worshippy: bang on , he wont accept a 2 year deal , some team will give 3-4 in UFA lunacy week .

Those that are bashing Markov with these idiotic agendas are pretty stupid. More like dumb I'd say. Maybe hockey ignorant. No wait, retarded.

how many cups does Markov have ? How many stellar playoffs has he had in his career ? NONE

If Markov was 29 and I could work with him until we MAYBE are ready to compete for something , sign him .

At 36 in December , in decline, he should be a second pairing d man playing 20 minutes tops a night and no need for 3 years at stupid money

Cliff Fletcher was a moron , patching and bandaiding to futility and thats what we will do inking him to 3-4 years

We didnt lose because of Markov , I clearly stated we lost cause our top 6 is NOT GOOD ENOUGH , to win a war of attrition and as constructed will never be good enough .

Regardless what Markov does , we are missing 2 ELITE talents to get to the next level , PK and Price are elite , thats it , we need 2 more.

Dont be silly Max is 25 not 36 on a great cap number why would I trade him unless I rip someone off like we were raped in the Gomez deal . Max is good , he could score 40 for all I care , until he gets his lazy

perimeter ass involved in the play and COMPETES like a top forward , he is not elite in my books . Carter , Wiliams, Gaborik , Kopitar outplayed him , even the Kings secondary players outplayed him.

Ohhhhhhhh Jesus.

You're giving compher and Demon Blond a real run for their money.

LOL.
Girardi looked horrible in the finals. McDo was very good.

I get what you mean but relatively speaking Markov is still capable of playing quality minutes and people who think he's slow and old have to take into account the guy had a long year for a man his age taking into account the condensed schedule, olympics he played in etc...

I think in a normal season he can still give good hockey for his age

Back