• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2013 - 2014 Season

If you absolutely want to get a goon, sign Joel Rechlicz for league minimum and play him every blue moon.

He'll be an upgrade on Parros, in the sense that he can still fight without getting knocked out every other time.

Bruins are definitely trying to change things up a bit. Thornton not coming back; Marchand is being shopped.

I still believe that Iginla wasn't happy with the way some of his teammates acted towards Subban in the playoffs. It's one thing to target a guy because you respect his talent but Lucic, Thornton and Marchand (Hey boy) in particular seemed bent on getting him for other reasons and that may have been a distraction for the rest of the team.

Bruins management likely learning they have a few dumb-dumbs on their team who can't help themselves when they play the Habs.

Ville Leino (Buffalo) and David Booth (Vancouver) are on waivers for purpose of buyout.

Leino is too small, too soft and too slow. He's yet another pass-first, shoot-only when absolutely necessary player; something we already have too much of.

Booth is just a weirdo.

Some coaching news:

• The Kings denied permission to teams to talk to John Stevens. Sounds like he's been told he'll eventually take over for Darryl Sutter.

• The Canucks and Penguins have asked for permission from the Stars to take to AHL coach Willie Desjardins.

• Ulf Samuelsson is among the people who have interviewed with the Penguins.

• Gord Murphy joined the Flyers as an assistant coach, taking over for John Paddock.

Jeff Marek: Doug MacLean confirms on Hockey Central that he interviewed for the Penguins head coach position.

LOLOLOL.

Jeff Marek: Doug MacLean confirms on Hockey Central that he interviewed for the Penguins head coach position.

LOLOLOL.

Not to defend MacLean, but he & Mike Millbury were both much, much better coaches than they were GM's.

Not to defend MacLean, but he & Mike Millbury were both much, much better coaches than they were GM's.

I was thinking the same thing. MacLean wasn't a notoriously bad coach... GM on the other hand...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/263862641.html

NHL makes significant revision to free-agent interview period rule
Posted by: Michael Russo under Wild news, Wild off-season news Updated: June 19, 2014 - 1:51 PM

comments
print

Tweet Share via Email

The NHL has implemented a significant change from last year regarding the free-agent interview period that begins next Wednesday.

In a memo sent yesterday to all teams and subsequently forwarded by the NHL Players’ Association to all agents, the league will now allow clubs and agents to discuss general parameters of a potential contract for a pending restricted and unrestricted free agent.

Last year if you remember, Commissioner Gary Bettman sent a last-second memo reminding clubs that they could not discuss contract parameters at all during the interview period prior to free agency, which begins this year on July 1.

In the June 18 memo (read over the phone to me by an agent), the league states, “After discussions with a number of general managers, we have revised and hopefully clarified with regard to last summer the permissible parameters of player contract and communication during the applicable interview periods.

“Please be advised that clubs are permitted to discuss the potential interest in as well as general parameters of a potential future contractual relationship with another club’s pending RFA or UFA during the applicable interview periods. The clubs may not enter any agreements or make any binding offers, promises, … oral or written concerning the terms of a potential SPC (standard players contract) with another club’s pending RFA or UFA.”

So in other words, teams and agents can now discuss the general parameters of a deal, as in, “I’ll be looking for a seven-year deal at around $5 million annually,” etc., meaning now players and agents at least know where each other is at heading into July 1 and know who’s in the game and who isn’t.

I think there will be more trades this off season than we've ever seen.

The UFA market quite frankly sucks this year

Back