• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2013 - 2014 Season

retarded signing from day 1 by a moron in Slats

In a way, sure, but he got good time in Richards and was able to get rid of him with only having to pay part of his contract.

It wasn't all that bad, although Richards deteriorated extremely quickly.

A lot of people said the Kings were going to buyout Richards, but I wasn't expecting it.

he can always be moved with 50% retained by LA

Dude is a winner and plays his best under pressure in the playoffs

still surprised he wasnt bought out

I don't think he can be moved because I don't think LA will be willing to retain salary.

Tough week for Ron MacLean. The season ends, his role as host of Hockey Night In Canada comes to an end and now his mostest favouritest player Richards gets bought out.

Mike Richards is done. If he can't get it together on a cup winning team he surely won't the following year when his desire to win another cup won't be as great.

I'm already getting that pissed off feeling where no one wants to play in Canada or in pressure cities. Joe Thornton will only play in NY. Jason Spezza can't handle the heat in ****ing Ottawa of all places. Ryan Kesler is allergic to Canada now.

Considering how much money Canada brings in for the NHL we sure get the short end of the stick. I would love to see all the NMC lists put together to see which cities are at the top of the "I won't play there" list. Only Long Island seems to be more of a horror story than the rest of Canada for being an NHL player.

retarded signing from day 1 by a moron in Slats

Slats finds a nice way of getting out if bad signings...either the easy way out of buying out or finding some sucker to take his bad signings

Slats finds a nice way of getting out if bad signings...either the easy way out of buying out or finding some sucker to take his bad signings

I was wondering if Bob Gainey got his name on the cup if the NYR had won thanks to his help with McDonagh.

In a way, sure, but he got good time in Richards and was able to get rid of him with only having to pay part of his contract.

It wasn't all that bad, although Richards deteriorated extremely quickly.

the issue is there was no way in hell this could of worked out , you want to overpay , fine , but shit give him 4x 8 mil a year and then buyout the last year , or try to move him to a team needing to hit the floor . He was already in decline at 31-32 , 9 years was lunacy .

The owners are so retarded that some of these moves are laughable, like Vinny last year or Streit , WTF

at least now with the last of the compliance buyouts and new rules on vets retiring and teams taking the cap hit , you cant get out of every bad you move you make as easily

I'm already getting that pissed off feeling where no one wants to play in Canada or in pressure cities. Joe Thornton will only play in NY. Jason Spezza can't handle the heat in ****ing Ottawa of all places. Ryan Kesler is allergic to Canada now.

Considering how much money Canada brings in for the NHL we sure get the short end of the stick. I would love to see all the NMC lists put together to see which cities are at the top of the "I won't play there" list. Only Long Island seems to be more of a horror story than the rest of Canada for being an NHL player.

Yet these good ol Canadian boys love to wear the colours for "their" country every four years. This is another refreshing thing about PK in that he loves playing in Montreal and eats up the pressure.

Clarkson decided to sign in Canada, poor Leafs.

Yet these good ol Canadian boys love to wear the colours for "their" country every four years. This is another refreshing thing about PK in that he loves playing in Montreal and eats up the pressure.

That is rich I must admit.

We need to replace Gallant with another communicator. Gallant seem to be the "verbal coach".

If there were no Canadian teams, most players wouldn't want or need NTC's. The no trade clause exists because Canadian teams also exist. Not wanting to live in a media/fan fish bowl is only part of the story. High taxes and crappy weather play their part too.

When you become a full-time player, you stop being a fan. And when you become a full-time player who gets paid to play hockey for a living, you re-prioritize your life. Winning is still the ultimate goal but it ceases to be the life-and-death singular event on a game-by-game basis the way it is for us fans. When playing hockey is your job then it becomes work just like any other job. At some point, you as a player will become more focused on your working conditions and lifestyle choices rather than narrowly focusing on winning. Fact is, every player on every team in the league wants to win but only 23 of them actuall do every year. For the vast majority, its a job. an enjoyable and rewarding job, no doubt, but still a job. So if at some point work is work, how do you want to do it? Where do you want to do it? For players who excel at their jobs, they can pick and choose their working conditions while the scrubs are just happy not to be riding a bus in the minors.

Now think about your own job. Maybe you like it or maybe you don't but you probably haven't much choice either way if you want to ensure your bills keep getting paid. So maybe you can't change your job but what if, instead of having to slog through a Montreal blizzard to get to the office you could do your job in an office located in sunny Florida? What if, instead of paying the highest personal income taxes in North America you could live in a place like Florida which has no state taxes? What if, instead of having your performance scrutinized by millions on a daily basis you could get paid just as much to do the same job in a place where no one even noticed what you did or didn't do?

I dare say that many of us would jump at the chance. Sure, as fans we'd like to think that we'd want to play in a city where the sport matters and we'd like to think that we'd take less money to play on a team with a chance to win but the reality is that once you really are getting paid to play for a living, you focus on things like lifestyle and prolonging your career for as long as possible.

Back