• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2013 - 2014 Season

If there were no Canadian teams, most players wouldn't want or need NTC's. The no trade clause exists because Canadian teams also exist. Not wanting to live in a media/fan fish bowl is only part of the story. High taxes and crappy weather play their part too.

When you become a full-time player, you stop being a fan. And when you become a full-time player who gets paid to play hockey for a living, you re-prioritize your life. Winning is still the ultimate goal but it ceases to be the life-and-death singular event on a game-by-game basis the way it is for us fans. When playing hockey is your job then it becomes work just like any other job. At some point, you as a player will become more focused on your working conditions and lifestyle choices rather than narrowly focusing on winning. Fact is, every player on every team in the league wants to win but only 23 of them actuall do every year. For the vast majority, its a job. an enjoyable and rewarding job, no doubt, but still a job. So if at some point work is work, how do you want to do it? Where do you want to do it? For players who excel at their jobs, they can pick and choose their working conditions while the scrubs are just happy not to be riding a bus in the minors.

Now think about your own job. Maybe you like it or maybe you don't but you probably haven't much choice either way if you want to ensure your bills keep getting paid. So maybe you can't change your job but what if, instead of having to slog through a Montreal blizzard to get to the office you could do your job in an office located in sunny Florida? What if, instead of paying the highest personal income taxes in North America you could live in a place like Florida which has no state taxes? What if, instead of having your performance scrutinized by millions on a daily basis you could get paid just as much to do the same job in a place where no one even noticed what you did or didn't do?

I dare say that many of us would jump at the chance. Sure, as fans we'd like to think that we'd want to play in a city where the sport matters and we'd like to think that we'd take less money to play on a team with a chance to win but the reality is that once you really are getting paid to play for a living, you focus on things like lifestyle and prolonging your career for as long as possible.

I hear you but hockey (pro sports) is the only "job" in the world where a portion of the membership continues to "work" without earning a wage (during the playoffs), while the others are at home. As much as I want to try, I just can't relate it to being a job.

If that's all that counts, then they are players that you so like to deride. Won't get you through the playoffs.

retarded signing from day 1 by a moron in Slats

Not really. He had Richards for 3 years at a 6.7M cap salary average, in which he scored 66 (.8), 34 (.74) and 51 (.62) points, and added 28 points in the playoffs (ppg in brackets). He missed only 2 games in that span and cost zero assets to acquire.

That was actually a cunning move by a GM to front-load his contract so he can outbid the competition for the player's services, knowing full well that he could then amnesty him at no cost when the time is right.

Not really. He had Richards for 3 years at a 6.7M cap salary average, in which he scored 66 (.8), 34 (.74) and 51 (.62) points, and added 28 points in the playoffs (ppg in brackets). He missed only 2 games in that span and cost zero assets to acquire.

That was actually a cunning move by a GM to front-load his contract so he can outbid the competition for the player's services, knowing full well that he could then amnesty him at no cost when the time is right.

How did he know full well about the buyout when he signed him?

Everybody knew there would be amnesty contracts when there would be a new CBA. There are always amnesty buyouts when the salary cap structure is changed after a CBA negotiations.

The Blue Jackets have acquired Scott Hartnell from the Flyers for R.J. Umberger and a fourth-round pick in 2015.

The Blue Jackets have acquired Scott Hartnell from the Flyers for R.J. Umberger and a fourth-round pick in 2015.

Really? I wonder why philly would do that.

I can't figure out why Philly would trade Hartnell for Umberger. They just got worse. Hartnell is the better player, Umberger is simply faster.

Good trade for Columbus.

I can't figure out why Philly would trade Hartnell for Umberger. They just got worse. Hartnell is the better player, Umberger is simply faster.

Good trade for Columbus.

The Jackets have just gotten better.

The only thing I can think of is their contracts...

Hartnell: five years, $23.75 million ($4.75M AAV)
Umberger: three years, $13.8 million ($4.6M AAV)

But still, this is a good deal for Columbus.

Аrpon Basu: Maybe when Kekalainen said Umberger, Hextall somehow heard Johansen. "Wow, and a fourth round pick? Sold!"

The only thing I can think of is their contracts...

Hartnell: five years, $23.75 million ($4.75M AAV)
Umberger: three years, $13.8 million ($4.6M AAV)

But still, this is a good deal for Columbus.

Really? $150K savings? Future savings for signings can be done after new caps are announced. I just don't get this move. Maybe Hartnell did want out, who knows.

Well, Hartnell did waive his no-movement clause for the deal.

Last edited:
Back