• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2013 - 2014 Season

Last I heard he was not willing to waive his NTC. Has that changed?

There were rumblings that if (keyword being if) he were to waive his NTC, it would for NYC only.

So who knows...

I would love the NYR to do it. They have no 1st this year or the next and they don't have the deepest talent of prospects.

This could possibly make them a middling team for a good chunk of the next decade.

There were rumblings that if (keyword being if) he were to waive his NTC, it would for NYC only.

So who knows...

I would love the NYR to do it. They have no 1st this year or the next and they don't have the deepest talent of prospects.

This could possibly make them a middling team for a good chunk of the next decade.

Wow, that's the first I've ever heard that. Where's that from?

*Edit* Google search reveals originated from Doug McLean.

I think it was on TSN 1050 radio. They might have been just shooting the shit, but I heard it about a week or so ago.

I read/listen to way too much stuff.

I think it was on TSN 1050 radio. They might have been just shooting the shit, but I heard it about a week or so ago.

I read/listen to way too much stuff.

I just googled it - a New York Rangers blog had it credited to Doug MacLean's sources.

http://nyrangersblog.com/2014-articles/report-joe-thornton-only-wants-to-go-to-the-rangers.html

New York always has people crawling all over themselves to play there. I just always wanna see them crash and burn.

Good, for a second I thought I was a little loony and making shit up.

;)

Mark Lazerus ‏Patrick Sharp's agent, Rick Curran, says that Stan Bowman has assured him that Sharp will NOT be traded. #Blackhawks

Well, if Sharp/Teurovainen/Saad won't be traded, what are they going to trade if they want a #2 center?

(I'd love to get Brent Seabrook...)

I mentioned a week ago that Thornton would probably only accept a deal to the NYR (and yes, I may have heard that from Doug McLean) but the reality is that he is pissed with the Sharks Doug Wilson for getting him to sign a lesser deal with the NMC and also for asking Joe to convince Marleau to sign an extension with the money the Sharks would save from Thornton agreeing to a lesser deal. So here is being told the grand plan from the Sharks and being given a NMC, which we all know costs the player a few more dollars and even before the deal begins he is being asked to move. He loses money from a useless NMC and from agreeing to less in his contract so that the Sharks could sign Marleau. Like him or not... that's douchbag stuff from the Sharks.

Some guy on twitter nailed the Leafs & Bolland situation:

Clark Aitken Dave Bolland is recovering from a major injury that we all saw impacted his ability to play at an NHL level

Clark Aitken I say recovering because, hey, it's nine months later and he's still rehabbing that injury.

Clark Aitken Oh yeah, Bolland also had a series of issues with back injuries with Hawks You know what helps a bad back? Overcompensating for a leg injury

Clark Aitken So here's Bolland, universally agreed upon as a 3C in terms of talent. 29 years old, so on the wrong side of the offensive production hill.

Clark Aitken Fresh off a year where when he did play he got his teeth kicked in, and before that he couldn't even be a capable passenger on PKane's line

Clark Aitken And here are the Leafs. Looking at all that, one year removed from THE WORST CONTRACT SINCE RICK DIPIETRO, and they're like "Yeah, 5 years"

Clark Aitken Isn't this insane? Like that's a serious question. Is Dave Nonis a crazy person? Did Game 7 cause some sort of brain damage?

Clark Aitken Who takes THAT MUCH RISK for THAT LITTLE UPSIDE? Even if Bolland's a perfectly capable 3C, the Leafs don't have $ to fix real issues

Clark Aitken How much leadership and grit would Bolland have to provide to make that contract worthwhile? Like a General Patton made of sand?

Totally nailed it. Whoever signs Bolland to that crazy contract is going to be ****ed beyond belief. And thankfully for us, we already have six centers already.

He's asking for 7 or 8 years at 5 million. Insanity.

I don't want him back whatever the price. Hoping it's true that Vancouver's been talking to him.

He's asking for 7 or 8 years at 5 million. Insanity.

I don't want him back whatever the price. Hoping it's true that Vancouver's been talking to him.

C'mon now. The guy knows what it takes to win and provides mentorship to the young ones. Leafs need to break bank to retain Holland.

C'mon now. The guy knows what it takes to win and provides mentorship to the young ones. Leafs need to break bank to retain Holland.

Is this what you want to see happen as a Habs fan or do you genuinely think it's a good idea?

Pretty sure CH1 was being sarcastic.

Leafs should probably start by not giving up a bunch of draft pics for players that end up playing on year there (First Versteeg & now Bolland) and focus on better drafting.

It's kinda crazy that a guy who's 29, and only scored 25+ goals once in his whole NHL career can get 6 mil per year for 6 years :facepalm

Steve Yzerman is doing a fantastic job in Tampa :thumbup1:

This would be pretty cool.

Michael Russo:
• Talked to SEVERAL execs this week who think the NHL should have a baseball winter meetings concept in late June.
• In other words, have the NHL Awards, NHL Draft, free-agent shopping period, GM's meeting and Board of Governors meeting in one spot.

Back