• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2014 - 2015 Season

Had they given him the long term contract right away, I doubt he would have played with something to prove....and I doubt he wins the Norris.

He played with fire that lockout year, as if he was pissed-off at the whole world....have yet to see the same fire in his eyes ever since

Yeah, Subban have a $9M caphit instead of a $5.5M caphit doesn't hurt us at all. Not one bit.

I beg to differ my friend

1) If PK was making 5-6 mil ....we have no money to get Vanek .....we were among a few teams who had the cap space to absorb his salary , its the main reason we got him

2) If PK inked a 5 year 6 mil deal , this is year 3 and in 2 years its a 10-11 mil cap hit for 8 years ( lets use 10.5 as the number )
Do the math we now have PK including bridge to 7.7 mil x 10 years , with the 5 years @ 6 plus the 84 over 8 divided over 13 years he is averaging 8.76 per season but his cap is 10.50 not 9 , thats a significant savings .

3) More importantly , we have PK locked up for his prime years , waiting 2 extra years gets him locked up in that dangerous 35-36 year old mark where players decline and cap dollars are wasted .

I know PK is built like a horse but look at the contracts of Bergeron , Perry, Getzlaf , Malkin, etc....I am confident years 6-8 or sooner will look ugly on their cap sheets , but PK at 33 can still be elite , or in other words our contract is lot safer than those, giving us leverage in case we need to make a deal .

Last edited:

Had they given him the long term contract right away, I doubt he would have played with something to prove....and I doubt he wins the Norris.

He played with fire that lockout year, as if he was pissed-off at the whole world....have yet to see the same fire in his eyes ever since

absolutely agree , this was the kick in the ass he needed , I know people who know him personally and they said this might be the first time in his life a hockey exec said no to him

Both Max and Carey were coming up bridge contracts so he didn't have that option with them.

It did blew up in their face but I can understand going to more prudent route in this case. And seeing PK play this season, something tells me that they were not wrong. He needed the extra push and more discipline and there is no telling how it would have panned out if he had been given his big contract right away.

Neither were impending UFAs, he didn't "have" to give them longterm deals. Both could have gotten another bridge deal. MaxPac was coming off his first full year as a pro & Price didn't have the greatest of years, even though he wasn't terrible either. Bergevin didn't get to know them at the end of the season, the players had long since left for a vacation. He didn't get a real training camp to see the players' preparation either, there was the lockout. But there was PK's reputation of being a loud black man who looked like his persona was more fitted to play basketball or football instead of being an oreo like Jarome Iginla. I don't buy the notion that they didn't sign him because they didn't know him.

I don't think PK needed the extra push, I just think that like a lot of players over the span of their careers, he's having a bad year. Every players on the team's had a bad year or two. If PK keeps it up like this for the rest of the year & starts off next season poorly, then I'd have to agree with you. The expectations on him are much different now than they were a year ago. Now everybody has their eyes on him and he's expected to be the clear-cut #1 d-man on the team and has to shoulder some of the leadership. I think what has made it clear for me this season is that he shouldn't be captain. Pacioretty should be the captain, even though the unofficial captain will always be Price.

1) If PK was making 5-6 mil ....we have no money to get Vanek .....we were among a few teams who had the cap space to absorb his salary , its the main reason we got him

Maybe, maybe not. That's assuming we would have done the very same roster additions/substractions had Subban signed said deal. Maybe Moen/Brière never get signed? Bergevin has always found a way to make capspace.

2) If PK inked a 5 year 6 mil deal , this is year 3 and in 2 years its a 10-11 mil cap hit for 8 years ( lets use 10.5 as the number )
Do the math we now have PK including bridge to 7.7 mil x 10 years , with the 5 years @ 6 plus the 84 over 8 divided over 13 years he is averaging 8.76 per season but his cap is 10.50 not 9 , thats a significant savings .

0% chance he would have made that much because there's no precedent now and there probably wouldn't be any precedent by the time his deal would have ended in 2018. I personally think Subban's agent used Shea Weber as a statistical comparable and a salary comparable. Weber's been a runner-up for the Norris without ever having won one, while having slightly superior stats to Subban. Shea Weber's caphit might be lower than Subban, but he still makes more than Subban. The only other potential comparable could be Hedman, whose deal expires in 2017. He'll be getting a big raise.

Doughty, Pietrangelo, Keith, Karlson, Letang... None of those guys would have been salary comparables for Subban, so I don't see how he would have been able to make "10-11 mil".

3) More importantly , we have PK locked up for his prime years , waiting 2 extra years gets him locked up in that dangerous 35-36 year old mark where players decline and cap dollars are wasted .

I know PK is built like a horse but look at the contracts of Bergeron , Perry, Getzlaf , Malkin, etc....I am confident years 6-8 or sooner will look ugly on their cap sheets , but PK at 33 can still be elite , or in other words our contract is lot safer than those, giving us leverage in case we need to make a deal .

Nobody will ever know, but yes that is possible. Bergeron has a history of concussions, but besides that he hasn't had many injuries. Perry & Getzlaf I could see slowing down and Malkin might unless he's a fitness freak. It just takes one major injury to one of Subban's knees to make the current contract look awful.

Teams are often trapped and have to sign those players to longterm deals. If you trade one of those players, you never get equal value in return and if you're not the one giving out the longterm deal, some other team will have him. How many times does the team trading the one stud player away "win" the deal? Think Boston wouldn't like a mulligan or two on those Seguin/Thornton deals? Yeah, by the end of the deal he might not be nearly as good as he once was (See Chara), but if you're a contending team and you can add a major piece to possibly put you over the top...

3-1 for the lucky leafs over the bruins mid second. The bruins look so disinterested. Haven't heard lucic name. The leafs are so bad in their own zone. They are taking it to the bruins tonight.

Maybe, maybe not. That's assuming we would have done the very same roster additions/substractions had Subban signed said deal. Maybe Moen/Brière never get signed? Bergevin has always found a way to make capspace.

0% chance he would have made that much because there's no precedent now and there probably wouldn't be any precedent by the time his deal would have ended in 2018. I personally think Subban's agent used Shea Weber as a statistical comparable and a salary comparable. Weber's been a runner-up for the Norris without ever having won one, while having slightly superior stats to Subban. Shea Weber's caphit might be lower than Subban, but he still makes more than Subban. The only other potential comparable could be Hedman, whose deal expires in 2017. He'll be getting a big raise.

Doughty, Pietrangelo, Keith, Karlson, Letang... None of those guys would have been salary comparables for Subban, so I don't see how he would have been able to make "10-11 mil".

Nobody will ever know, but yes that is possible. Bergeron has a history of concussions, but besides that he hasn't had many injuries. Perry & Getzlaf I could see slowing down and Malkin might unless he's a fitness freak. It just takes one major injury to one of Subban's knees to make the current contract look awful.

Teams are often trapped and have to sign those players to longterm deals. If you trade one of those players, you never get equal value in return and if you're not the one giving out the longterm deal, some other team will have him. How many times does the team trading the one stud player away "win" the deal? Think Boston wouldn't like a mulligan or two on those Seguin/Thornton deals? Yeah, by the end of the deal he might not be nearly as good as he once was (See Chara), but if you're a contending team and you can add a major piece to possibly put you over the top...

We are looking at 2 years down the road for his extension , so if the cap hits 80 , Webber will not be PK`S comparable if he keeps playing at an elite level, the new barometer is Toews and Kane . Now those 2 got the bonus for winning cups but PK I am convinced gets 10+ , keep in mind he would have us completely by the balls by then as Markov is up and without a stable of top 4 d kids in the funnel ( maybe 28 ) we have nothing unless MB finds 2-3 dman to fill this roster .

As for the Bruins keeping Joe I think means no Chara and Savard ( too bad that preck took him out ) in free agency . Not sure how the Bruins looked financially but Chara basically took his salary and clearly Joe`s expiry date was due with them , he was simply getting crucified for his lack playoffs success and change was due.

You're wasting your time on that guy. We told him 100 times. Like trying to get a mule to drink...

We are looking at 2 years down the road for his extension , so if the cap hits 80 , Webber will not be PK`S comparable if he keeps playing at an elite level, the new barometer is Toews and Kane . Now those 2 got the bonus for winning cups but PK I am convinced gets 10+ , keep in mind he would have us completely by the balls by then as Markov is up and without a stable of top 4 d kids in the funnel ( maybe 28 ) we have nothing unless MB finds 2-3 dman to fill this roster .

As for the Bruins keeping Joe I think means no Chara and Savard ( too bad that preck took him out ) in free agency . Not sure how the Bruins looked financially but Chara basically took his salary and clearly Joe`s expiry date was due with them , he was simply getting crucified for his lack playoffs success and change was due.
He dismissed Kane and Toews cuz it conflicts with his dumb argument.

true but if their spot is taken by Leafs, like out of frying pan and into fire

Maybe. Shut down the leafs in the ozone or atlest slow them down a little and they are cooked. Awful in their own zone. They are like watching an Allstar game where nobody cares about playing defence.

I want both the Bruins and Leafs to make it and then we can beat both.

The Blue Jackets have signed Nick Foligno to a six-year, $33 million extension... $5.5 million AAV.

The Blue Jackets have signed Nick Foligno to a six-year, $33 million extension... $5.5 million AAV.

weird career - he'll probably score 30 goals this year after never scoring more than 18 previously

I guess the outdoor game has become so common place there is no mention of it here. If someone mentioned it, I probably would not have missed the first two periods, totally forgot about it.

Back