• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

We never hear about bad contracts that aren't Leafs. We just played Dallas, but I don't remember hearing a fucking word about Jamie Benn's 9.5m for 5 more years after this one and the 40 point pace he's delivering. Nobody shit talks the Bobrovsky contract when we're playing Florida, etc. William Nylander has to score at a 35 goal pace to be "worth" 6.9 million and Matthews has win the rocket richard by 10 goals or so to be worth his.

Hockey media in Toronto is broken.

It has been broken since the likes of Milt Dunnell, George Gross, and a few other really great guys, left the scene.

The media when we were kids and watching the Dougie teams was super positive. There was no internet, and all the articles in the papers were mostly informational (this is what happened in the game), and talking about the good stuff. Then the internet happened and every shmo with a stupid opinion had his own negative blog and suddenly I think the media had to match their shtick and get controversy going in order to retain eyeballs. And from there it just got out of hand.

People don’t get sparked by truthful pieces about how the big 3 is awesome and money well spent.

It was before the internet.

but it did coincide with the beginning of 24hr sports radio and tv stations.

Looking at my salaries spreadsheet, worst contracts on the books:

P.K Subban ($9.0/2022, value $2.0)
Bobby Ryan ($7.25/2022, value $--)
Drew Doughty ($11.0/2027, value $5.0)
Brent Seabrook ($6.8/2024, value $--)
ME Vlasic ($7.0/2026, value $1.8)
Jeff Skinner ($9.0/2027, value $3.5)
Jamie Benn ($9.5/2025, value $4.3)

How good is Doughty at this point?

Still an elite or high-end defenseman who just happens to be stuck on a god-awful team?

Or has he started a steep decline?

I think that probably underrates Doughty and Subban.

The calculation is based on a percentage of league-wide point share, for forwards I look at a goal-adjusted total, but for defencemen (especially ones signed as point producers) it's points only. Subban and Doughty were signed as elite offensive defencemen, power-play quarterbacks.

Based on that, I'd say it under-rates guys like Vlasic...

But he does play for the kings..... how do you take into account the teams poor talent level?

Just curious and trying to understand the numbers to use for the dynamics of team talent level?

I mean, I guess it could be argued that guys who rely on assists (defencemen) could be under-rated based on their surrounding talent.

But he does play for the kings..... how do you take into account the teams poor talent level?

the stat I look at (RelT) does a lot of work to separate out a player's performance from his teammates. And while it's not perfect, the numbers are so putrid in Doughty's case that it's hard to put a good spin on it. Everyone just plays worse with him - and he's not even getting super tough quality of competition this year. and his offense is nonexistent.

the only excuses I can think of are that a) he plays big minutes, even if they're not extreme tough matchups, b) he's tanking.

The calculation is based on a percentage of league-wide point share, for forwards I look at a goal-adjusted total, but for defencemen (especially ones signed as point producers) it's points only. Subban and Doughty were signed as elite offensive defencemen, power-play quarterbacks.

Based on that, I'd say it under-rates guys like Vlasic...

ah ok - based on offense. gotcha.

what mechanism is available for them to avoid retaining a big caphit next year?

Mutual termination itself is the mechanism, I believe.

A non 35+ contract can essentially be voided as long as both sides agree to it. The catch is that Byfuglien would have to walk away from the combined $14M in salary he's owed this year and next, so I'm honestly a little baffled that he'd be willing to do this.

Would certainly seem to be an indication that he wants to get back to playing in a destination of his choosing, because if he didn't intend to play again, he could continue his grievance to be paid this year's salary, then go on LTIR and collect his entire salary next year.

Back