• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Mutual termination itself is the mechanism, I believe.

A non 35+ contract can essentially be voided as long as both sides agree to it. The catch is that Byfuglien would have to walk away from the combined $14M in salary he's owed this year and next, so I'm honestly a little baffled that he'd be willing to do this.

Would certainly seem to be an indication that he wants to get back to playing in a destination of his choosing, because if he didn't intend to play again, he could continue his grievance to be paid this year's salary, then go on LTIR and collect his entire salary next year.

Yeah, I mean I guess it wouldn't happen that often.

Although I guess you could technically threaten a player you just weren't going to play him to encourage this.

So is he semi in shape Buff or cheeseburger eaten mufacka buff?

I mean, the guy's super-sized at the best of times, and most of the time is a bit of a blimp after only a 3-4 month off-season. So I'm guessing a Byfuglien that's been off for nine months now AND is recovering from injury/surgery is basically Jabba the Hutt by this point.

But if he thinks he might be good to play at some point this season, I'd still toss a one-year NHL-minimum deal at him.

Thats exactly what I said to my buddy. If he is semi decent shape at all and you can get him on a cap friendly hit then by all means get him on board and get him ready for the playoffs

I mean, the guy's super-sized at the best of times, and most of the time is a bit of a blimp after only a 3-4 month off-season. So I'm guessing a Byfuglien that's been off for nine months now AND is recovering from injury/surgery is basically Jabba the Hutt by this point.

But if he thinks he might be good to play at some point this season, I'd still toss a one-year NHL-minimum deal at him.

I probably would too.

Healthy Buff is exactly what we need. A legit top pair RHD that isn't signed to a crazy long term deal.

Apparently he's not even skating yet though. But I would definitely take a run.

02-1.jpg

It would be a huge slap in the face to all of our guys if we signed up Jabba.

Think Liljegren for pete's sakes. This guy is a mess. Probably fun to eat a couple of oversized burgers and fries with, but guys, he a done.

Does the guy on the left look like he can play at an NHL pace right now, or ever close?

We are not desperate and we do not have Boobcock behind the bench.

Spezza is an old man in NHL terms, but he has answered the bell. and still looks mean and fit, this guy just loves to eat.

Hey, I cannot blame him, eating is fun. But its not good for competing on a tennis court in mma or hockey.

Gotta be as lite as sprite out there.

I assume if he was actually retiring due to the injury he wouldn't give up the grievance.

Yeah, that's my thought too.

I see literally no upside to mutual termination on Byfuglien's side besides the fact that it allows him to get back playing ASAP in the destination of his choice. Obviously if the Jets still held his rights and he was still a $7.6M cap hit to go along with his health concerns, the list of suitors for him would be pretty short, and no guarantee that any of them would be places Buff would want to go.

He's made like 60M so far in his career, and even voiding this he can probably still find a deal somewhere in the 5-8M range for the next year+ I would guess, so giving up 6M or so to choose where to play and avoid being in Winnipeg isn't the craziest decision out there.

Fulton Reed him. Put him on the PP and just take clappers all day

Just pair him with Sandin, and let the kid do all the skating out there.

As as added benefit, if anyone messes with Sandin, Buff could always sit on them.

Fat Buff is elite. Don't body shame.

Dude please, don't become one of these leftists. Body weight is important in sports. For agility, etc.... Imagine Keefe having a balloon in the lineup, and having to deal with that.

Even the great Doug Harvey, only played at 10lbs overweight. Body shaming. That is just garbage. Its social media crap for posers

But in sports, being in shape, is being in shape.

Let someone else sign him. Damaged goods imo.

Dubas and Keefe have a vision dude, and it ain't a fat man wanting out of Winnipeg....

I like what they are doing. Goaltending could and should be addressed possibly, but everything else is good, real gud.

MLSE loves Dubas and Keefe from what I am told, even before, this came to light.

Someone will possibly reach, someone always does, but it won't be Dubas and MLSE imo.

Body shaming. Wow. Save that for social garbage media.

Back