• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Yup. And the #'s for the 3 highest paid goalies are brutal. There's no evidence that is smart.
I can't wait to hear after the season how the Leafs need to give Freddy 7-8+ per for 7 years or they are doomed.

Man it would be cool if campbell could just give us solid .910-.915 goaltending and force them all to eat their narrativea.

Hopefully Campbell can pull a Dubnyk and just figure it out at 27-28. If you could get 40 games of quality goaltending for the next 3 years at under $2 million that is ideal. You can overpay someone like Crawford/Halak/Griess/Khudobin to split time, and get 80 games of quality goaltending for $6-7 mill.

Thing is with small sample sv% you never know what is going on. His numbers over 29gms look poor (but not awful) this year at .900. But that's with an .880 in his first 5gms and a .916 in his last 5gms.

All I want is that .910-.915 range. We don't need that .925+ he out up before, but yeah that would be sweet too.

.910-.915 would be fantastic. we aren't asking for the moon here, just competent goaltending.

when that happens the goals against will get better and the narratives will be forced to change, since that is all they're really based on -- after all, we're talking about people that wilfully ignore poor netminding and doggedly blame the defence for every goal against no matter what. Once the non-chances and nothing plays stop going in they'll have a lot less to talk about.

It makes me cry seeing how little points we've gotten from the backup next to every other top team. Now we'll have to again face a killer 1st round opponent if we get in.

I think we can too. I just wish we'd make it easier on ourselves.
I'm sick of Boston, but I want them more than Tampa or Washington. They are very vulnerable.

It makes me cry seeing how little points we've gotten from the backup next to every other top team. Now we'll have to again face a killer 1st round opponent if we get in.

We were going to be facing a killer in the first round regardless. It would have been nice to challenge for the division at least, but it was going to take 115-120 points to win it. I think we're good enough to pull that off over the course of a season, but a lot would have to go right (injuries, goaltending, etc)

Decent read as always from Berkshire. Not sure how much value to put into any goalie stats but at least he shows his work

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/much-upgrade-jack-campbell-michael-hutchinson/

Campbell-Shot-Quality.png

The thing I think he's missing, and it's pretty obvious when the numbers are laid out like that is why were the Leafs giving up better shots with Hutch in net than with Fred in net? Despite popular sentiment, it appears that the Leafs were giving Freddy an average or better workload from a shot difficulty standpoint (something a bunch of us have argued for a while now). Why the spike with Hutch in net? I get that it's difficult to quantify but it's likely that the team just plays different in front of a goalie that can't stop a beach ball. You start trying to deny any shot attempts at all, and it creates gaps in the defence. That's the most likely explanation for why Hutch faced way fewer perimeter shots than Freddy, and more slot shots than Freddy. When you're worried about 40 foot wristers beating him clean, you can't/won't collapse down to focus on taking away the higher percentage 15 footers.

I'm open to alternate theories on why the exact same defence gave up drastically different results depending on which goalie was in net, but the answer appears to be pretty obvious. Failure to recognize that underlying fact takes Berkshire's conclusions off track imo.

Last edited:
Campbell-Shot-Quality.png

The thing I think he's missing, and it's pretty obvious when the numbers are laid out like that is why were the Leafs giving up better shots with Hutch in net than with Fred in net? Despite popular sentiment, it appears that the Leafs were giving Freddy an average or better workload from a shot difficulty standpoint (something a bunch of us have argued for a while now). Why the spike with Hutch in net? I get that it's difficult to quantify but it's likely that the team just plays different in front of a goalie that can't stop a beach ball. You start trying to deny any shot attempts at all, and it creates gaps in the defence. That's the most likely explanation for why Hutch faced way fewer perimeter shots than Freddy, and more slot shots than Freddy. When you're worried about 40 foot wristers beating him clean, you can't/won't collapse down to focus on taking about the higher percentage 15 footers.

I'm open to alternate theories on why the exact same defence gave up drastically different results depending on which goalie was in net, but the answer appears to be pretty obvious. Failure to recognize that underlying fact takes Berkshire's conclusions off track imo.

I think the bolded is it exactly.

Fack predictions and trying to cobble together advanced goaltending stats.

Go out there and allow 3 goals or less in 60mins, and win more often than not.

Hutch managed it 3 times, in 11 starts. He allowed 1 goal each vs. DET and OTT and shutout NYI. The rest were 4 and 5 goals against.

Fack predictions and trying to cobble together advanced goaltending stats.

Go out there and allow 3 goals or less in 60mins, and win more often than not.

Hutch managed it 3 times, in 11 starts. He allowed 1 goal each vs. DET and OTT and shutout NYI. The rest were 4 and 5 goals against.

Timing is important too.

How many times did Hutch let games go completely off the rails in very short period of time by allowing multiple goals? And how many times did he allow a back-breaking questionable goal almost immediately after one of his teammates scored?

But yeah, that said, if you can just keep it to 3 goals or less, you're going to win behind this team the vast majority of the time.

Timing is important too.

How many times did Hutch let games go completely off the rails in very short period of time by allowing multiple goals? And how many times did he allow a back-breaking questionable goal almost immediately after one of his teammates scored?

But yeah, that said, if you can just keep it to 3 goals or less, you're going to win behind this team the vast majority of the time.

Like 3 goals in a single period 9 times out of 15 games?

Reactions: BG
Timing is important too.

Exactly. His Leafs stint has to be one of the worst, if not the worst, we’ve ever had. I have to believe the pressure of TO cracked him because a guy who plays like that wouldn’t have ever made it to the NHL in the first place.

And then you contrast it with our winning percentage with Andersen in net and it’s downright unforgivable. Like I said yesterday, for one fucking guy out of 20 on the team to be able to affect our fortunes in such a significant way is just staggering.

Back