• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Jake Gardiner must be choked.

He's a way better player than Faulk, and Fault gets 7 X $6.5M a year out from UFA.

Not really sure what the hell St-Louis is doing here. Did they forget that Pietrangelo & Schenn's contracts are up after this year?

That's downright weird.

So much for all the coin going to RFAs.

Last 2yrs:

Edmundson (26): ES 17:24 (B+ qoc), .67p/60, .52p1/60, -0.3cfrel, -2.4xgfrel ---- $3.1m x 1yrs, then UFA
JustinFaulk (27): ES 17:45 (B qoc), .69p/60, .50p1/60, -0.4cfrel, -2.7xgfrel ------- $4.8m x 1yrs, then $6.5m until age 34

and the Canes get a really nice prospect on top of that, too.

I'm befuddled.

Last 2yrs:

Edmundson (26): ES 17:24 (B+ qoc), .67p/60, .52p1/60, -0.3cfrel, -2.4xgfrel ---- $3.1m x 1yrs, then UFA
JustinFaulk (27): ES 17:45 (B qoc), .69p/60, .50p1/60, -0.4cfrel, -2.7xgfrel ------- $4.8m x 1yrs, then $6.5m until age 34

and the Canes get a really nice prospect on top of that, too.

I'm befuddled.
Carolina basically parlayed Faulk and deHaan into Gardiner and Edmunson ... plus Forsling, Forsberg and a prospect ... while saving a couple of million dollars this year and avoiding having to sign Faulk to another deal. They can walk on Edmundson at the end of the season, and have depth enough behind him to make that likely. Taken as a whole, it's a good bit of business.

$7m x 3yrs for Tkachuk

It'll be interesting to see how all these bridge deals turn out in 3yrs, just when a new CBA kicks in.

Of course, unless the end up in $15m caphits for those guys, then they'll still be cheaper than mariner (though maybe they should be, we'll see).

these guys will all get 8 figures on their next deals, and then people will get more used to the idea of that in hockey.

these guys will all get 8 figures on their next deals, and then people will get more used to the idea of that in hockey.

Actually been surprised at how few players have made it to the "double-digits". Especially with the cap now at a level where you can actually compete with multiple 10+M players, feels like you should be getting more and more of them now.

Its happening. Panarin, Bobrovsky, Marner, Matthews, Karlsson and Doughty all signed for $10+ in the last year, and Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, Stone and Seguin got $9.5+.

It'll be interesting to see how this all turns out in the end.

At the moment, I have a hard time imagining that having Marner locked in for three additional seasons at the money he's making will somehow end up being more of an advantage than just having him for about $4M cheaper in each of the next three seasons.

Maybe these other guys will absolutely blow past Marner's AAV on their next contracts, or maybe they'll take their qualifying offers after the three years are up and take the opportunity to get the hell out of their current towns.

If not, it'll seem like we got absolutely hosed.

remember, he's likely also just flat out better than most of those guys.

I'm thoroughly unconvinced of that when it comes to Brayden Point.

And I'd take him over Tkachuk without question, but Tkachuk is pretty fucking good too.

Carolina basically parlayed Faulk and deHaan into Gardiner and Edmunson ... plus Forsling, Forsberg and a prospect ... while saving a couple of million dollars this year and avoiding having to sign Faulk to another deal. They can walk on Edmundson at the end of the season, and have depth enough behind him to make that likely. Taken as a whole, it's a good bit of business.

Fantastic asset management by the Canes

I'm thoroughly unconvinced of that when it comes to Brayden Point.

And I'd take him over Tkachuk without question, but Tkachuk is pretty fucking good too.

Point is interesting, but remember, his big season came at a year older than Mitch. But I'm with you there that it's a good debate.

Tkachuk has the phenomenal possession numbers but his production just isn't up there with the other two, and he's had a little less prominent usage.

I mean people like to give credit to JT for Marner's offensive output, but Point spent 75% of his EV shits, and 90% of his PP shifts with a guy who scored 130 points last year.

And Marner's ELC production is significantly better than Point's anyways, ES and PP, despite being a year younger.

Not sure how Marner doesn't get at least 90-100 points for the next several years assuming health. By how much is he overpaid in that event? As I've said, I think the day of the 8 figure hockey star has arrived and people are still getting used to it. These bridge deals simply postpone the inevitable for a couple of years.

Now the Leafs didn't get team-friendly deals from Matthews or Marner, or Tavares for that matter (they paid a fair but full price), but I don't think we'll have a problem getting value from players that good. At least not for the next 5 seasons.

Also, there's certainly a chance for us to get greater value than cap hit past the top of the roster in the next few years. For example Johnsson or Kapanen may have another gear. If not, they are at least fairly paid and locked up for several seasons. We have yet to see what value Kerfoot and Mikheyev bring. Sandin and Dermott could also potentially punch above their weight in the near to mid term. Perhaps substantially, if we're lucky.

Back