• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

I know there's been a lot said about our first round exits and fair I guess but... I feel like watching other teams get their top picks and just flat out struggle to even make the playoffs afterwards shows you it's not really easy to make that jump. Making it immediately put some big expectations on us instead of these Ottawa/Buffalo teams that got to stay in their "they're up and coming!! they'll be better soon!!" bubble longer.

(That said, we shouldn't have really lost to CBJ and MTL)
I know every team went through it, but the truth is....however bitter it is for us and probably everybody else too...covid fucked this team right over.

What would the salary cap be without a pandemic, not to mention two expansion teams?

It's always easy to re-write imaginary history (hmmm) but I feel confident in saying this team gets out of the first round a few times at least.

The hockey gods seem to be balancing things out this year a bit. Every horrendous decision Tre has made is being wiped out one by one. Hopefully Kampf is next but that mother fucker is an Ironman unfortunately.

With that said it still doesn't excuse the lack of production from the big boys in their playoff careers. Nor does it excuse the poor coaching that we saw from Keefe in round one last year (arguably their worst series ever, of course it would be the one they win). Nor does it excuse Kyle's constant reluctance to add scoring depth that could potentially carry them to a won round or two as it does for most cup winning teams. Our frustrations are very valid. But there's frustration because we're smart enough to realize how close this team is.

Yup. The media never questions these long term big money deals to secondary talent. Probably at least partially because they under estimated how good our kids were when we started handing those big long term deals out.
I always find it interesting looking-back on the reactions of 2 time 60+ Nylander getting 6.9. And funny, if someone with 40-ish points gets 8+, what's the big deal about Marner's 10.9 after 94 points? If you sign so many young players who have done very little to 8+, chances are 1-2 will bust.

I know there's been a lot said about our first round exits and fair I guess but... I feel like watching other teams get their top picks and just flat out struggle to even make the playoffs afterwards shows you it's not really easy to make that jump. Making it immediately put some big expectations on us instead of these Ottawa/Buffalo teams that got to stay in their "they're up and coming!! they'll be better soon!!" bubble longer.

(That said, we shouldn't have really lost to CBJ and MTL)
One of the issues is our young players were so good from day 1 and making the playoffs in 2017 was not part of the plan at all and unfortunately, turned into a big of a negative once they lost in the 1st round for 3rd straight year.
Making the playoffs is harder than ever. In the 80's, Leafs could finish 20th of 21 teams and make the playoffs in the Norris. The last WC team could well get 100 points in the East this year.

The hockey gods seem to be balancing things out this year a bit. Every horrendous decision Tre has made is being wiped out one by one. Hopefully Kampf is next but that mother fucker is an Ironman unfortunately.

With that said it still doesn't excuse the lack of production from the big boys in their playoff careers. Nor does it excuse the poor coaching that we saw from Keefe in round one last year (arguably their worst series ever, of course it would be the one they win). Nor does it excuse Kyle's constant reluctance to add scoring depth that could potentially carry them to a won round or two as it does for most cup winning teams. Our frustrations are very valid. But there's frustration because we're smart enough to realize how close this team is.
Tre brought a horseshoe with him because he is so lucky with these injuries to his horrendous signings.

Top-9 F + Top-4 D + #1 G Average Ages

1.BUF 24.8
2.MTL 26.1
3.ARZ 26.2
4.PHI 26.4
5.OTT 26.4
6.NJD 26.5
7.CBJ 26.6
8.CHI 26.7
9.ANA 26.8
10.COL 27.1
11.SJS 27.4