• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

I’d honestly completely forgotten about Jeannot’s existence, which I also wasn’t aware of until the Bolts paid a king’s ransom for him at the deadline.

So, thought I’d go have a peek at his stats aaaaand…woof. 7 goals & 18 points in 64 games in Tampa. One of the worst deadline deals in recent memory. The only upside for Tampa is that they unloaded Cal Foote in the deal before he was outed as a rapist.
Think they signed him long term too.

Are the leafs not set at centre?

Feel like that isn't an area of concern unless for depth reasons.

Depends on how OK they are with a rapidly declining Tavares still playing 2C. And whether they think Domi is a perfectly cromulent 3C (Keefe clearly doesn’t).

But regardless of where the Leaf front office lands on either of those two questions, the trade deadline would be pretty much the worst time to try and address them.

Finally you admit it. :)

A lot of the same people making fun of me over Chiarot were predicting a 1st for Edmundson, teams lining up to give their first born for Josh Anderson, hated the Pacioretty trade when I was defending it, etc, etc

Sometimes the market does stupid shit, like 1sts out the door for #4 defenders. No one should give up a 1st for Monahan, like Florida would probably like a mulligan on giving up a 1st for Chiarot.

Depends on how OK they are with a rapidly declining Tavares still playing 2C. And whether they think Domi is a perfectly cromulent 3C (Keefe clearly doesn’t).

But regardless of where the Leaf front office lands on either of those two questions, the trade deadline would be pretty much the worst time to try and address them.
Yeah, obviously we're in trouble if Tavares is suddenly regressed from PPG to 1 point per 10 games, but I don't think this kind of overnight dramatic drop off continues. He might have a bad season overall when the dust settles, but he has to produce way better than this in the second half. By has to, I mean will almost certainly.

Are the leafs not set at centre?

Feel like that isn't an area of concern unless for depth reasons.

well, past Matthews their depth is John Tavares with 1 year left, who frankly looks cooked, David Kampf, and UFA Domi.

Set is probably not the word I'd use..

Laughton brings "grit" and a reasonable cap hit for 2 more years. I'm not saying I want him at all in particular, only that it would be foolish to discount Treliving acquiring a centre like him.

I remember you trying to claim caufield was a product of Holloway though... So.... Maybe sit this one out.

And yes I proved you wrong, and yes you pulled a zeke... Unless of course that was zeke in which case my bad but also shuddup

You misremember, here's the receipt:

I'm not making the argument that you think I'm making

Of course a premium sniper makes a playmaking centre look better, and Caufield has been the top side of both duo's in wisconsin but was definitely the bottom side of the USNDP duo.

We have though, never seen what he looks like against decent competition without one of the best centres in that league beside him. He will not have the benefit of that in Montreal.

A lot of the same people making fun of me over Chiarot were predicting a 1st for Edmundson, teams lining up to give their first born for Josh Anderson, hated the Pacioretty trade when I was defending it, etc, etc

Sometimes the market does stupid shit, like 1sts out the door for #4 defenders. No one should give up a 1st for Monahan, like Florida would probably like a mulligan on giving up a 1st for Chiarot.

why not, at #25 you're probably drafting a Monahan that's 4 years away

why not, at #25 you're probably drafting a Monahan that's 4 years away

Because I don't think "a Monahan" is enough of a push in the right direction to waste the asset on. Would much rather spend more assets to get a better player that isn't expiring.

I don't think Monahan in a 2C-3C role is enough better (if better at all) than in house options for just about every team that's been mentioned as a destination. For example, I take Ross Colton as my 2C over Monahan all day, every day....and this isn't a Habs specific opinion, he's a vanilla pussy and has been for a long time now. Nobody should care about Monahan's 15ppp this season, because on a good team, he doesn't get 1st unit PP minutes.

We see this all the time. Mediocre to bad players forced into big roles on bad teams put up some counting stats. They go to new team, get slotted into a role more in line with their ability and it gets quickly realized that they're actually not good (see Ben Chiarot's 15 minutes per of ice time in the series against Tampa after the trade to the Panthers)

Monahan isn't good. A good centre would be on a better pace than 20/60 pace with more than 18 minutes a night of ice and 1st unit PP time. We saw what he was in Calgary when the premium ice got taken away from him. A bad 2nd line centre who doesn't really defend well at all.

I totally agree...but most people overrate immediate returns and discount the future

TL;DR GMs are emotional fucks with strong WIN-NOW bias

I don't necessarily agree with his point...but you realize that the two centres he's played with since are 5th overall pick Alex Turcotte and 14th overall pick Dylan Holloway, right? He's had a crazy good centreman every year of his development...which is awesome, but does raise questions about his ability to provide 5v5 offensive production with some random 3rd line centre dishing him the puck

those two are not even who he played with most

Alex Turcotte did score his first NHL goal last night
.. Sooooo

Don't diagee
Not sure anyone is making fun of the chiarot thing but it shows that GMs are stupid and they overate specific skillz. Faceoffs being one of them.
Can't wait for a GM to give a conditional first round pick so that we all claim to be right

tldr stop giving GMs so much credit

Meant more just for the current season but yes they should look at non rentals

I think two second rounders with one becoming a first if Monahan plays a certain amount of games/team wins a round

Back