• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

22888457_web1_2020100214100-5f776b4bc31436de20f96025jpeg.jpg

Did you ever say something like: "LOL there's no way Habs get a first for Chariot."?

Here's what I said:

You would be fortunate to get a 2nd for Chiarot. Fucking fortunate. He's a #4-5 type defender who happens to play a metric assload of minutes because Montreal's blueline has been pretty terrible for a number of years now.

I was wrong about the return, not wrong about the player. By the end of that playoffs Florida picked him up for, he was there #5 defender in ice time.

The funny thing about the Lindholm trade is that he really hasnt been any better than Kuzmenko over the last 2 years.

Kuzmenko: 1.06 g/60, 2.56 p/60, 0.69 ixG/60, 0.39 rel xGF%, 29.2 dzf%
Lindholm: 0.5 g/60, 1.87 p/60, 0.72 ixG/60, -0.19 relxGF%, 32.8 dzf%

Lindholm is obviously a center and plays tougher minutes, but its been a 2 years since he was actually good. Though maybe he's just like the other Lindholm and stopped trying on a bad team.

Also he is surprising related to Jarnkrok, but not Hampus Lindholm.

I maintain that it’s absolutely not out of the realm of possibility that some NHL GM coughs up a 1st for him. 2nd + a prospect seems more likely, but a 1st is not impossible.

But the GM that does that will be a slobbering, brain-dead moron.
Luckily that is the majority.

Here's what I said:

I was wrong about the return, not wrong about the player. By the end of that playoffs Florida picked him up for, he was there #5 defender in ice time.
I think you guys are just overvaluing the attachement of contending teams for their first round pick at the deadline, probably because of past traumas.

12 first round picks were traded at last deadline. Look what the Preds got for Jeannot.

NYR lost Chtyl for the rest of the season, Colorado are playing Coulton on the second line because Johansen's been a disaster. What about Boston's center "depth"?

It's easy to see that there will be bidding for Monahan, who you also underrate probably because of some model you saw. Guessing you don't spend many evening watching the Habs.

Monahan could get a 1st. The rental crop this year is slim. Unless Guentzel gets moved, not only is Monahan a center, he's one of the highest scoring rentals on the market. Monahan, Tarasenko and Henrique are the best forward left. Then its Mantha, Duclair, Hoffman, Zucker.

Dman market is better.

Hunter was their third best from the rankings I've seen.
Yeah there is a fear he could end up like another Forsling as the Canuck US/European amateur scouts have been far less stomach churning than their domestic scouts. Chief Scout (then) Ron Delorme failed to notice a guy playing right in his backyard (Brendan Gallagher).

Hunter was their third best from the rankings I've seen.

I've seen the rankings and I disagree with them. People let draft slot and shit like World Junior performance hang around like a bad stink on prospect rankings and don't put nearly enough stock on age appropriate performance at their level.

Their "#1" rated prospect is putting up an okay but just okay D+1 season in the SHL. .59ppg is fine-ish, but his closest NHL comparables are guys like Jarnkrok, Johnsson, William Karlsson, Erikson Ek. Not bad players at all, but no stars in there. Willander is getting jerked off by the hockey media, and has been fine at Boston College, but for a NCAA D+1 he's been fine, just fine. We've seen what elite D+1 production looks like in the NCAA recently with Power, Adam Fox etc. Willander's production so far has been in the Mike Matheson, Brett Pesce, K'Andre Miller range. Again, good players, no stars.

Hunter Scrabble though? Some of the best D+1 production from a defender out of the OHL in a long time. Better than John Carlson, Evan Bouchard, Dougie Hamilton, etc, etc. If he keeps this production up, it will be the best OHL season by a D+1 since the 70's. I'm pretty sure Calgary just snagged Vancouver's best prospect by a fair margin, for a rental.

I've seen the rankings and I disagree with them. People let draft slot and shit like World Junior performance hang around like a bad stink on prospect rankings and don't put nearly enough stock on age appropriate performance at their level.

Their "#1" rated prospect is putting up an okay but just okay D+1 season in the SHL. .59ppg is fine-ish, but his closest NHL comparables are guys like Jarnkrok, Johnsson, William Karlsson, Erikson Ek. Not bad players at all, but no stars in there. Willander is getting jerked off by the hockey media, and has been fine at Boston College, but for a NCAA D+1 he's been fine, just fine. We've seen what elite D+1 production looks like in the NCAA recently with Power, Adam Fox etc. Willander's production so far has been in the Mike Matheson, Brett Pesce, K'Andre Miller range. Again, good players, no stars.

Hunter Scrabble though? Some of the best D+1 production from a defender out of the OHL in a long time. Better than John Carlson, Evan Bouchard, Dougie Hamilton, etc, etc. If he keeps this production up, it will be the best OHL season by a D+1 since the 70's. I'm pretty sure Calgary just snagged Vancouver's best prospect by a fair margin, for a rental.
No minds take longer to change than prospect rankers.

If what they thought at the draft was challenged this fast, one might deduce they dont serve a purpose to begin with.

No minds take longer to change than prospect rankers.

If what they thought at the draft was challenged this fast, one might deduce they dont serve a purpose to begin with.

One of my favourite pieces of evidence is that ranking prospects by draft year league-adjusted PPG and drafting them in exact order (which even I wouldn't suggest, I like adding some context like QoT, G > A, etc) turns out better draft results than the professionals do.

What was left from the previous regime was hilarious from a supposed "horse whisperer" with respect to amateur scouting (that's after umpteen years of fairly high draft positions). The AHL affiliate was basically just an afterthought to Jim Benning.

I do wonder why I have to spend much time watching a ~10 yr veteran that I've seen play 20+ times just because he's on the Habs now, to have a functioning opinion formed on him as a player. I lived in Calgary for a handful of years during his time there on top of that ffs. I've seen him plenty.

Back