• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

there's no reason to believe ... this core can't succeed.
K81Y096.gif

The Tavares contract was obviously designed to make him very moveable if he was bad by the end of the deal. Made even more sense 6 years ago when there were a bunch of cap floor teams.

Anyway I don’t see the consternation about moving him now —obviously $11M could be better spent next year, and he isn’t getting any better. Doesn’t mean he can’t come back later in a reduced role for like 1/4 the money.

I also struggle that any Leaf fan wouldn't be aching to dump that money and reallocate it to the blue line, where the FA crop looks pretty decent IMO, and the Leafs need at least 2 of the good ones, and probably a 5/6/7 guy too

Its kind of impressive that one could think Sheldon Keefe had this much impact ( all be it negative) as a head coach.

I think he had significant negative impact, but it's mostly localized playoff stuff (playoff PP died again, 4th line out after goals in game 7? for real?, Sammy starting the playoffs as the unchallenged #1 and letting him drive the season right to the cliff before considering a change) and individual deployment issues through out the season(...in no particular order...Tavares on PP1, why do you hate Timmins, Robertson benchings and press boxings, Knies too long on 1st line, why you hate McMann, why no Willy experiment at C like you said to start the season, 4th line out after every goal...wtf, seriously how many plugs do you want on your blueline, etc)

He's not the reason for the struggles of anyone who had an iron clad role though.

I also struggle that any Leaf fan wouldn't be aching to dump that money and reallocate it to the blue line, where the FA crop looks pretty decent IMO, and the Leafs need at least 2 of the good ones, and probably a 5/6/7 guy too
There will be more next year, when his contract runs out.

All have also underperformed, and not because of Tavares.

"underperform" is a gradient.

The 3 "kids" have slightly underperformed reasonable expectations. The 11 million dollar captain has heavily underperformed expectations. When choosing who is worth moving forward with, the answer is obvious.

It is written in the Book of Leaf that if we trade Marner, he will emerge as a playoff star and win multiple cups elsewhere.

We have to try with a new coach and a new supporting cast before making such a drastic change. And it is a drastic change to ditch a guy who could consistently get 100 points for us and just turned 27. It's really kinda crazy talk to single him out as the problem and trade the dollar for a few quarters.

There will be more next year, when his contract runs out.
Why do you want to punt next year though?

Like, where is it written one has to do right by Tavares and let him finish out his boyhood dream contract? The man has been stealing from the team his last 2 years and is the single biggest obstacle in improving the many holes

Back