• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

It is written in the Book of Leaf that if we trade Marner, he will emerge as a playoff star and win multiple cups elsewhere.

We have to try with a new coach and a new supporting cast before making such a drastic change. And it is a drastic change to ditch a guy who could consistently get 100 points for us and just turned 27. It's really kinda crazy talk to single him out as the problem and trade the dollar for a few quarters.
this is completely fair, but Tavares has to go in order to support the team with actually good players.

I don't. Filling the roster with skilled speedy kids and a few name UFAs who fit in well should make us one of the top teams. Running back the same core is not a wasted year imo.
You do not have enough space to sign the players you need to fill the holes you have.

I know you keep coming back to your 25M, but that signs 3-4 mid to high end guys. You need more than that.

I think what you need to accept is Tavares IS a supporting player at this stage of his career, at best, and is paid like a building block. Cant have that.

It is written in the Book of Leaf that if we trade Marner, he will emerge as a playoff star and win multiple cups elsewhere.

We have to try with a new coach and a new supporting cast before making such a drastic change. And it is a drastic change to ditch a guy who could consistently get 100 points for us and just turned 27. It's really kinda crazy talk to single him out as the problem and trade the dollar for a few quarters.

Exactly. Trade Tavares.

this is completely fair, but Tavares has to go in order to support the team with actually good players.
He doesn't. He is a good player. If we had $5M of cap room, I'd be more open to hearing this.

We have $25M. If we had $36M, I don't even think we could find enough good players to spend it on. And if we could, it wouldn't be the current GM who could do it.

You do not have enough space to sign the players you need to fill the holes you have.

I know you keep coming back to your 25M, but that signs 3-4 mid to high end guys. You need more than that.

I think what you need to accept is Tavares IS a supporting player at this stage of his career, at best, and is paid like a building block. Cant have that.
I already replied earlier how we could easily fill the roster up internally and then have another $18M-$19M or so to spend on 4 players.

That's a healthy amount of money for 4 guys. A few $6Mish players (plus one more cheapie player) is not nothing.

He doesn't. He is a good player. If we had $5M of cap room, I'd be more open to hearing this.

We have $25M. If we had $36M, I don't even think we could find enough good players to spend it on. And if we could, it wouldn't be the current GM who could do it.
You dont understand what 25M is.

top pairing D are going to go for 9-10M, middle pair d 7-8M, top line F 10M, middle 6 F 4-6M.

You are going to be absolutely flabragasted with what 25M doesn't actually get you.

That Tavares deal gone, nets you one of those defenders, an actual living breathing top pair defender.

And you seem to think Kampf/Krok can just be dealt without taking on salary or costing yourself draft picks? Fantasy land.

I already replied earlier how we could easily fill the roster up internally and then have another $18M-$19M or so to spend on 4 players.

That's a healthy amount of money for 4 guys. A few $6Mish players (plus one more cheapie player) is not nothing.
Who do you think you are getting for 6M on the backend? Genuinely curious.

I think you need two 8M ish D, plus, bert/domi back or replacements. at around 4-6

You dont understand what 25M is.

top pairing D are going to go for 9-10M, middle pair d 7-8M, top line F 10M, middle 6 F 4-6M.

You are going to be absolutely flabragasted with what 25M doesn't actually get you.

That Tavares deal gone, nets you one of those defenders, an actual living breathing top pair defender.

And you seem to think Kampf/Krok can just be dealt without taking on salary or costing yourself draft picks? Fantasy land.
Who is the $10M dman that you're adding?

Who do you think you are getting for 6M on the backend? Genuinely curious.

I think you need two 8M ish D, plus, bert/domi back or replacements. at around 4-6
It doesn't have to be $6M and $6M. It can be $8M and $4M.

And none of the ufa dmen names that I've seen are going to break the bank.

Who is the $10M dman that you're adding?
Im not necessarily adding one, but if you told me the best D FA started with a 9 i wouldnt be shocked, the guys the Leafs need ( Montour, Skeji, Pesce) are hovering around 8 though, and they need two.

Again, you are defending keeping an 11M F who isnt a top 100 F, what the fuck is happening?

I don't know that Montour or Skjei break $8M. Pesce isn't even in that ballpark.

You're overestimating how much these guys can demand. The first two are very good. They're also 30 years old. If they want term, I don't think any team is going to give them top, top dollar for 7 years.

It's simple, obvious and not a very difficult decision to make. You obviously trade Tavares. Any unbiased, emotionally detached individual can recognize this with ease. I can't understand why this is even a debate. Wtf is going on

It's simple, obvious and not a very difficult decision to make. You obviously trade Tavares. Any unbiased, emotionally detached individual can recognize this with ease. I can't understand why this is even a debate. Wtf is going on
To be fair we only are trying to convince one dude.

Jack Lemmon had it easier in 12 Angry Men.

To be fair we only are trying to convince one dude.

Jack Lemmon had it easier in 12 Angry Men.
You're getting off track though. It doesn't matter what the ufa d will go for. Paying 11m to Tavares is insane when you're trying to contend and he barely makes any real money this year. He's extremely tradeable. You can obviously find better value elsewhere.

He's one dude who could easily go back to providing us with the same 30 goal / 82 point performance. He's not 40. He had an off year and there's one year left, so it's not some massive risk to hold on for next year.

The argument here has been just get rid of him and add anything that adds up to $11M. That's a stupid way to go about anything.

We should have an actual need for the $11M (which we wouldn't know until spending the $25M first), and then there should be an actual target to acquire with that $11M that would provide better than what a typical Tavares year can provide. You don't dump $11M and then go searching for something to spend it on. Just like you don't trade Marner for the sake of trading him and his $11M.

I think we're very close to getting lof to admit that Tavares isn't an unstoppable force that should be untouchable at an 11m dollar aav. Another month or so should do it.

Back