• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

This quote is stolen from a poster on another forum.

Made me laugh.

"NHL Conference winners have always shunned touching the Prince of Wales Trophy and Clarence Campbell Bowl, believing it is only bad luck to do so.

Next season, members of Conference winning teams will look around nervously, worried that Corey Perry is on their team."

I called it back in January, when the Oilers first signed him:

Random prediction:

The Oilers will make it to the Cup finals this year, but will then lose.

The curse of Corey Perry.

The man’s like a one-man Buffalo Bills at this point. Made it to the finals in four of the past five years & lost each time.

Can't mock a team that made it to the finals when you're still trying to figure out the blue half-circle.

Can't mock a team that made it to the finals when you're still trying to figure out the blue half-circle.

The fact that the merry band of losers on my favourite team aren’t fit to be mentioned in the same breath as either of the teams still playing doesn’t mean I can’t celebrate the misfortune of a team I dislike. Or in the case of Perry, an individual player.

giphy.gif

Narrative before the series: you need a great goalie to win. Skinner is fantastic and has been fantastic for awhile.

Narrative now: you need a great goalie to win. See? Skinner is shit and the Oilers aren't gonna win!

People just pick whatever narrative confirms their biases.

Long discussion about this exact topic in this thread. And now that he crapped out we're all gonna pretend to ignore that Skinner was used as an argument to "get a goalie."

But it's true, he's been no worse than Bob as a Panther by the numbers (slightly better even). Believe ME kindly pumped out those numbers.

Neither goalie is great. Which is the point really.

Narrative before the series: you need a great goalie to win. Skinner is fantastic and has been fantastic for awhile.

Narrative now: you need a great goalie to win. See? Skinner is shit and the Oilers aren't gonna win!

People just pick whatever narrative confirms their biases.

Or....goalies are a big part of winning in the playoffs and the team currently up 3-0 has a vezina finalist in net who has played well through out the playoffs.

Serious question, what happens to this series if Bob doesn't steal game 1?

1718390864372.png

Back