• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

7-1 start!

Some questions have to be asked about how good McDavid really is imo.

Huh?

I would take him over any leaf presently on the roster.

Just think .... the leafs came within one number of having McDavid, Matthew's, marner and the rest of the team.

I wouldnt be surprised if the leafs take a real run at McDavid when his present contract expires .....

Jmo

McDavid is stuck there for the life of his contract. He’ll only get traded if he refuses to extend before his ufa year.

Not so sure about that.

This is the same team that traded hall for a worse version of muzzin.

This is the same team that .... never mind, it is the edmonton oilers .....

If McDavid wants out, then the oilers will have no option but to trade him.

Having an unhappy superstar that doesnt want to be there, would make for a terrible atmosphere.

It wouldnt surprise me to see the oilers trade McDavid at a draft in the next couple of years for a 1st overall pick plus plus plus plus.

Damn wouldn't it suck to see the Sens get him lolol.

Jmo

They have some potential help coming on D but their forward depth and
Huh?

I would take him over any leaf presently on the roster.

Just think .... the leafs came within one number of having McDavid, Matthew's, marner and the rest of the team.

I wouldnt be surprised if the leafs take a real run at McDavid when his present contract expires .....

Jmo

Marner was from the McDavid draft.

And McDavid likely keeps the Leafs out of dead last. Not by a lot but enough to not win 1st overall

A better question might be how many good coaches can they actually hire?

Seems like a perfect next landing spot for Babs, by the way. But the spotlight on him might be a little too bright this season.

So the leafs did try to trade Naz for jankowski and Brodie. Brodie might be a lot better than Barrie but holy fuck jankowski's numbers this year kinda stunned the fuck out of me. Dude ain't even an nhler. Kerf hasn't been so hot either but at least he can play. And he's the one locked up longterm. So that's something.

He was doing well up until he got his face caved in by Carter

8 pts in 16 games. He fell off after that

Carey Price has a .901sv%. 2yrs back he had a .900.

32yrs old. Year 2 of a $10.5m deal that takes him to age 3u.

Habsy thought we might be interested in trading Marner for him.

That may be a deal that Seattle takes on with a significant asset/s

Price gets to go home and live out his days on the west coast

Yeah that could be the out. Especially with what happened with Fleury.

But man Bergevin could have traded him for a ransom instead of signing him to that deal.

I don't get what's in it for Seattle unless they ignore the thing that they really should have learned from Vegas, and that's to build a competitive club asap. Price isn't the goalie for a team that aims to be competitive at anything.

Francis has made a big deal around Seattle talking about how he plans to build a data driven organization. You may as well light that entire ethos on fire and piss on it if your first major move is trading for a .900 goalie that makes 10.5 for the next bucket of years.

Goalies are weird. Maybe they have better numbers for it.

I mean fleury looked like complete toast pre-Vegas.

Eh? .909 coming after back to back .920's is hardly "complete toast".

Shit, he started the playoffs for the Pens in that second cup run and threw down a .924 before he got shit pumped in game 3 against Ottawa and never got his job back.

Regardless though, Price comes with horrific risk. Fleury came with minimal. 5.75 for 2 years. You and I both know that there's almost no scenario you would trade for that contract, not sure why you're trying to gin one up now.

Why would 2x5.75 be untouchable? Thinking outside of your usual "streaming dirt cheap options is the optimal set up" bit, of course.

and even if it was untouchable, you would have to come up with a new word for Price's 5x10.5 that would be left on it as of the day Seattle opens it's doors for business.

That's massively, massively bad. It's the worst contract in hockey, and by a lot. Not only is a huge contract for a player that can only be expected to play ~3/4 of your games, in this case it would be going towards a guy who is almost certainly to lose you a bunch of points by himself compared to an average goalie.

On top of, Seattle enters the league in an off season where there should be a bunch of veteran starters looking for a home. Rask, Freddy, Rinne, Binnington, Dubnyk, Raanta, Grubauer.

If you're going to bang a ton of cap space out the door to get a veteran goalie, I'm pretty sure you could spend that 10.5 a bit better on the names that are likely to be available.

Well the thought would be that a) capspace wouldn't be at a premium for them, b) price might turn into price again and c) they may be able to get something else for the move too.

Back