• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Yeah, he totally, royally fucked himself over signing for that term. Sucks that it was Matty that only signed for 5 and McDavid for 8.

Except that it’ll all be for the best as long as we get Matty to stay beyond the five.

If we a leaf there would be a fresh new narrative, using different stats to make him look better than Gretzky.

I'd guess that Gretzky's p60 stats were actually legit way above the rest of the pack other than Mario.

McDavid, tho...

I don't know. That D is kinda terrible. They have 2 players that have played at an average level this year (Bear and Nurse).

And they have legitimately 3 forwards.

Not sure how far two great players are supposed to take you. But probably not far. I don't think any model had them over 50% chance to make the playoffs. I'm definitely not putting money on that.

I think Klef and Larsson are at least decent 2nd pair guys.

I wish we had full early career stats for other generational players.

Last 5yrs

ES p/60 / p1/60

McDavid 3.00 / 2.35
Matthews 2.68 / 2.34
Malkin 2.60 / 2.14
Marchand 2.71 / 2.10
Crosby 2.58 / 2.06

Yr 1 (19)

McDavid 2.65 / 2.01
Matthews 2.24 / 2.04

Yr 2 (20)

McDavid 2.94 / 2.37
Matthews 2.94 / 2.63

Yr 3 (21)

McDavid 3.30 / 2.44
Matthews 2.92 / 2.35

Yr 4 (22)

McDavid 3.00 / 2.49
Matthews 2.74 / 2.47 (in progress)

Yr 5 (23)

McDavid 2.84 / 2.17 (in progress)
Matthews ---

I am going to go on record as saying, that Fred better stand on his head starting right about now. Losing our best dman and our beast Mikheyev is going to make us a lot easier to play against.

We have to work harder than ever, cause those two guys were top ten on the team in terms of importance and Muzzin top five.

Will go on the record that we can still outscore the competition and losing a complementary forward and one top 4 dman shouldn’t stop us from playing well. If it does, we have a lot bigger issues to deal with. I like both players, but not game changing injuries.

Yeah, I've kind of got him in that Lindros tier at the moment, though a more mild case of it than Eric had. We missed out on a lot of Sid's offensive prime due to injury. We'd be talking about him having a shot at 700 goals and 2000 points if he hadn't missed all that time. Would be a lot easier to rank him if we weren't dealing with "what ifs" there.

Orr and Mario too.

Gretz is maybe the only legit generational talent in the history of the game to have a long, healthy career, and numbers speak for themselves. I guess Ovie too if he can have another 3-4 healthy years.

But IMO Sid is right in there. What more can he do. He is top 5 in ppg playing in one of the lowest scoring eras in hockey. 3 cups, golden goal, 3 Lindsays.

Adjusted P/G
Lemieux - 1.68
Gretzky - 1.66
Crosby - 1.42
Forsberg - 1.37
Malkin - 1.34
Orr - 1.33
Ovie - 1.25
Richard - 1.25
Howe- 1.24
Lindros - 1.23

Orr and Mario too.

Gretz is maybe the only legit generational talent in the history of the game to have a long, healthy career, and numbers speak for themselves. I guess Ovie too if he can have another 3-4 healthy years.

But IMO Sid is right in there. What more can he do. He is top 5 in ppg playing in one of the lowest scoring eras in hockey. 3 cups, golden goal, 3 Lindsays.

Despite injury issues, he needs 6 years at 90 points per season and he's right there in the top-5 all-time for points. Not only that, but he only needs one or two more playoff runs (heck, maybe just 2-3 playoff series) to become the highest playoff point scorer who never played with Gretzky.

If you look at adjusted points, then he's less than 350 adjusted points (so maybe 320ish real points?) away from becoming #4 in adjusted points. And he's still only 32, so still really isn't even into the "old" portion of his career.

Yeah, I've kind of got him in that Lindros tier at the moment, though a more mild case of it than Eric had. We missed out on a lot of Sid's offensive prime due to injury. We'd be talking about him having a shot at 700 goals and 2000 points if he hadn't missed all that time. Would be a lot easier to rank him if we weren't dealing with "what ifs" there.

I hear what you're saying... but he's already played more games than Mario or Orr. I expect he'll play at least 1200+ games and put up over 1500 points.

Agreed that 700 and 2000 would be realistic if he'd he'd had a completely healthy career.

Back