• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

What French guy is better and available?
Seriously, that rule is ridiculous. It puts Habs at such a disadvantage. There's less francophones than ever involved in the NHl and it'll keep dropping.
Habs GM has better job security than anyone due to that rule.
It's nuts an expansion team has their pick of the very best and Habs have the worst pool to choose from by far.

Bergevin got great job security the moment Yzerman steped down and Brisbois got named Tampa GM.

What French guy is better and available?
Seriously, that rule is ridiculous. It puts Habs at such a disadvantage. There's less francophones than ever involved in the NHl and it'll keep dropping.
Habs GM has better job security than anyone due to that rule.
It's nuts an expansion team has their pick of the very best and Habs have the worst pool to choose from by far.

Bergevin got great job security the moment Yzerman steped down and Brisbois got named Tampa GM.

How many good non French speaking candidates would even consider the job and the circus that goes with the city ?

If given various vacancies Montreal would be dead last choice last for an Yzerman type

Remember when Randy Cunneyworth was named the interim head coach of the Habs for half a season, and the city (the French press in particular) pretty much had a nuclear meltdown about a filthy Anglo coaching their beloved Canadiens de Montréal?

It says a lot about the current climate of that organization that Montreal Cup winners like Scotty Bowman, Toe Blake, Dick Irvin, Frank Selke or Sam Pollock wouldn't even get so much as a job interview for either a coaching or GM vacancy.

What they need more than anything is someone from outside the organization who will come in, put a plan into place, stick with it, hire the best available people period regardless of ethnicity or their previous ties to the Canadiens organization (or lack thereof) and then ignore all the caterwauling from the media and the fans in the meantime.

I mean, there's been plenty of screaming here from all the loudest voices about plenty of the choices Shanahan has made, chief among them the decisions to not prioritize adding "toughness" or trade any of our young studs up front for a "stay-at-home-defenseman". And in the end it hasn't mattered.

Remember when Randy Cunneyworth was named the interim head coach of the Habs for half a season, and the city (the French press in particular) pretty much had a nuclear meltdown about a filthy Anglo coaching their beloved Canadiens de Montréal?

It says a lot about the current climate of that organization that Montreal Cup winners like Scotty Bowman, Toe Blake, Dick Irvin, Frank Selke or Sam Pollock wouldn't even get so much as a job interview for either a coaching or GM vacancy.

What they need more than anything is someone from outside the organization who will come in, put a plan into place, stick with it, hire the best available people period regardless of ethnicity or their previous ties to the Canadiens organization (or lack thereof) and then ignore all the caterwauling from the media and the fans in the meantime.

I mean, there's been plenty of screaming here from all the loudest voices about plenty of the choices Shanahan has made, chief among them the decisions to not prioritize adding "toughness" or trade any of our young studs up front for a "stay-at-home-defenseman". And in the end it hasn't mattered.
This is true. Why do the Habs care so much about what's in the papers?

Bergevin was hired in 2012. Since then he has drafted 4 players that are currently on the team (Lehkonnen, Mete, Pohling and Kotkaniemi).

Since 2012 the Leafs have drafted Rielly, Goat, Johnsson, Nylander, Engvall, Marner, Dermott, Timashov, Matthews and Brooks.

Kinda says it all.

That's the issue stick with a plan and don't deviate . Mish mashing and patching for a decade gets you a bubble team that is a few weeks away from missing the playoffs .

Habs need a Masai type

Quebec is so damn political. What they could get away with decades ago they can't now. The issue is, you could get by with francophone players then and management. You cannot in 2020. They are screwed.
And on top of that, they are the worst destination for taxes in the NHL AND you can't make the same $ as Toronto in endorsements (Soupman is getting a nationwide commercial for fuck's sake).

They just need a President/figure head to take all the heat and hire good people that speak whatever language and let them do their jobs.

A Dryden or someone like that.

But what actually happens if the Habs hired a Babs (before his reputation took a hit) or a Dubas? Lots of angry articles? Sure. I mean angry commentators shouldn't stop you from doing the right thing.

They must be fearing more. Maybe protests outside the arena?

But what actually happens if the Habs hired a Babs (before his reputation took a hit) or a Dubas? Lots of angry articles? Sure. I mean angry commentators shouldn't stop you from doing the right thing.

They must be fearing more. Maybe protests outside the arena?

Molson just needs to grow a pair of balls and evolve

Tell your fans , media , etc..... that we are hiring the best possible staff and working to putting a contender on the ice

They do it business with other synergies , why should sports be any different

Be patient and give us a chance , tough decisions will be made to improve the team

After 8 years and the same shit every year .....you would think the masses would accept

After decades your Leafs finally threw in the towel and accepted a gut job , no riots on the streets

Yup. It's not like people are going to turn to follow the Leafs or Bruins because the team dared hire an anglo to head things up. Winning > everything.

I remember back when all that franco coach shitshow came down I counted it up, and the team has won more cups with english coaches than french ones. I mean, don't get me wrong, if a Francophone coach/GM came along worth his chops, I'm willing to give him a chance. Even when Bergevin was hired, sure, give him a shot. But for the life of me, I can't understand how he can still have a job.

One thing that Bergevin benefitted from was the Habs hype machine. Unlike leafs, habs get fellated. Subban won an entirely undeserved Norris, and Galchenyuk was seen as an unfairly used elite talent instead of a lazy overrated bum, and he was able to capitalize bigtime on both in trades.

Let's limit our laughing at Bergy to only three or four pages please. It's too much to take that this guy is so overtly choosing to extend his employment rather than act in the best interests of the team. If there was ever a time to throw in the towel and rebuild, he's got an excuse now with all the injuries and where they sit halfway through the season. But no, the guy wants to make the playoffs. And hilariously won't, which is the best part of all this.

Kovalchuk to habs

Seth-Rogan-duct-tapes-a-wall.gif

Back