• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Haha, nope. ‘Twas just some good-natured humour. I might take you up on it if we had some apples-to-apples stats to compare, but it's a crapshoot trying to compare NCAA & CHL stats.

All we can really say at this point is that they've both playing great for 18 year-olds in their respective leagues, and that Robertson had a better tournament in the tiny sample size that is the WJC.

Yeah Robertson is great.

Of course the Habs go for a home run swing with long term project Struble instead of taking Robertson.

The damage will be if he is good. You know this isn’t a cup team, use the injuries as an excuse to tank. The moron fans will fall for it.

that would be my preferred method

note: no way we can catch the red wings anyway

I read an article saying the key to Robertson is his motor and he was compared to Gallagher in that aspect.

Love players like that.

I wouldn't worry about Kovelchuk and Scandella ruining the tank.
We had nick cousins on the first line.

Dale Weise was in he lineup. Things were perfect. If Kovy is even marginally better than Dale fucking weise its a missed opportunity.

Agreed that it won’t make a difference. The issue is that Bergy is looking out for his future, not the team’s. And wasting time and resources on useless moves like these instead of turning his attention to getting a max return on current vets in trade and getting his best shot at Lafreniere. Ironically enough, I’d think his best bet at keeping his job would be to sell the owners on the tank and landing at first overall. “Going for it” now is going to put that final nail in his coffin soon enough.

Agreed that it won’t make a difference. The issue is that Bergy is looking out for his future, not the team’s. And wasting time and resources on useless moves like these instead of turning his attention to getting a max return on current vets in trade and getting his best shot at Lafreniere. Ironically enough, I’d think his best bet at keeping his job would be to sell the owners on the tank and landing at first overall. “Going for it” now is going to put that final nail in his coffin soon enough.
Draft in montreal, check.

Top pick is a french canadian, check.

Sign Kovalchuk... What?

I read an article saying the key to Robertson is his motor and he was compared to Gallagher in that aspect.

Love players like that.

Yep. Always fun to have a greasy fucker who drives opposing fans & players nuts while also being able to score.

Hopefully Robertson can be that guy for us.

Jury finished deliberating as soon as he made the deal. First pair quality dman for older soft winger pretending to be more than a second liner.

Exactly , no one can defend this trade with a straight face

All PR move , nothing else

He serves no purpose , not a much needed 1C , top line power forward , or a top pair for Weber

No sane GM trades an A level prospect on an ELC for a JD type , those are gold trading chips you use on a star difference player

Caufield , Suzuki , Dach , Sandin , Cozens, Zegras , Hughes etc..... who pulls the trigger on this trade

In terms of the Kovalchuk signing itself... meh. It's very low risk.

Think it just plays into the larger question of whether it's really possible to "try to remain competitive while still building for the future" or if teams that try this just end up not doing either very well.

Think it just plays into the larger question of whether it's really possible to "try to remain competitive while still building for the future" or if teams that try this just end up not doing either very well.

I mean, I guess it is possible.

St-Louis's Cup winning roster wasn't really built on bottoming out and getting guys with high picks. They did draft Pietrangelo 4th overall, but that was back in 2008, and he was pretty much the only guy on their team picked in the first half of the first round.

The 2011 Bruins, 2008 Red Wings & 2007 Ducks likewise weren't built off tanking or their own high draft picks.

But that's it for the cap era. Every other Cup was won on the backs of guys the champs picked near the top of the draft.

You can definitely remain competitive while still building for the future . If you draft well and pull the trigger on timely trades to capitalize on vets , you can keep it going .

Sharks , Blues , Preds etc...have been solid for many years without top picks

They may have fooked up along the way with EK, Turris, and others but they were retooling on the fly .and supplementing through the draft .

I mean, I guess it is possible.

St-Louis's Cup winning roster wasn't really built on bottoming out and getting guys with high picks. They did draft Pietrangelo 4th overall, but that was back in 2008, and he was pretty much the only guy on their team picked in the first half of the first round.

The 2011 Bruins, 2008 Red Wings & 2007 Ducks likewise weren't built off tanking or their own high draft picks.

But that's it for the cap era. Every other Cup was won on the backs of guys they picked near the top of the draft.

I think it's possible too. But I think you need a lot more luck and you better do all the other things well -- draft well, trade well, manage the cap well.

Do we think Bergevin does?

You can definitely remain competitive while still building for the future . If you draft well and pull the trigger on timely trades to capitalize on vets , you can keep it going .

Sharks , Blues , Preds etc...have been solid for many years without top picks

They may have fooked up along the way with EK, Turris, and others but they were retooling on the fly .and supplementing through the draft .

I would say in most cases the very fact that you're trying to do both very often leads GMs to make questionable decisions at draft table, trades, and July 1st. Not impossible just extremely difficult.

And two of the three teams you named never won and now kinda suck?

just so we are clear he is not going for it

and oddly enough the one thing MB is good at is trades so i would trust him to sell sell sell

i think habsy is right though...ownership is the problem

Exactly , no one can defend this trade with a straight face

All PR move , nothing else

He serves no purpose , not a much needed 1C , top line power forward , or a top pair for Weber

No sane GM trades an A level prospect on an ELC for a JD type , those are gold trading chips you use on a star difference player

Caufield , Suzuki , Dach , Sandin , Cozens, Zegras , Hughes etc..... who pulls the trigger on this trade

umm isnt that how we got Suzuki?

Back