• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

I would say in most cases the very fact that you're trying to do both very often leads GMs to make questionable decisions at draft table, trades, and July 1st. Not impossible just extremely difficult.

Totally agreed and Chicago and Kings are prime examples

Big cap busting contracts all retained with declining assets and too late for the draft to save them

Seebrook, Keith , Quick etc....should of been peddled for youth

That's why I respect what the Rangers have done , starting unloading 2 years ago ( window was over ) and replenishing with picks , prospects and a ton of cap space available in 1-2 years . Kreider and others will be unloaded this deadline as well .

They need way more help but at least they are building some functionality and have some players to work with down the road

I would say in most cases the very fact that you're trying to do both very often leads GMs to make questionable decisions at draft table, trades, and July 1st. Not impossible just extremely difficult.

And two of the three teams you named never won and now kinda suck?

i would have rather they tanked for real
but the players would not do it last season

last year everything appeared to line up for a tank
trade your captain / best forward
have your best D hurt for half the year

if i am the habs i am looking to trade tatar, petry, gally for max value

i am also trying to get rid of price and weber (but not sure that is possible)

but they will try this brian burke style rebuild

umm isnt that how we got Suzuki?

We didn't trade an A level prospect .....we dumped a vet we weren't going to sign for a superior package for an A prospect

These are the type of trades we should of made over the years , to keep retooling

Had to chuckle at Brian Burke yesterday, on my TV, telling Leaf fans what works in the playoffs.

All the teams he's been involved with haven't won a playoff round in over a decade.

I think it's possible too. But I think you need a lot more luck and you better do all the other things well -- draft well, trade well, manage the cap well.

Do we think Bergevin does?

Nope. Bergevin's kind of reminiscent of Brian Burke, actually. He's pretty great at making and "winning" big trades, if you ignore the context around the deals and look at them purely as a "who got the better player(s)" exercise.

But his drafting's been shit, his development system has been a wasteland, his free agent signings suck (outside of snagging Radulov for one season, and he quickly undid that "win" by letting him walk and letting that cap space sit unused for years) and his cap management is terrible.

When he's not going big-game hunting in trades, he also has a nasty habit of firing draft picks out of a cannon in exchange for shitty depth players.

I agree but full rebuilds are hit and miss and very difficult to do and painful ... ie Buffalo

It requires a shit load of luck as well .

Tatar and Petry for sure have to go

Nope. Bergevin's kind of reminiscent of Brian Burke, actually. He's pretty great at making and "winning" big trades, if you ignore the context around the deals and look at them purely as a "who got the better player(s)" exercise.

But his drafting's been shit, his development system has been a wasteland, his free agent signings suck (outside of snagging Radulov for one season, and he quickly undid that "win" by letting him walk and letting that cap space sit unused for years) and his cap management is terrible.

When he's not going big-game hunting in trades, he also has a nasty habit of firing draft picks out of a cannon in exchange for shitty depth players.

Our only hope is the draft ...need to be elite

We don't have the luxury of trading or UFA`s , which is nothing but an exercise in futility most of the time with overpaying stiffs

Totally agreed and Chicago and Kings are prime examples

Big cap busting contracts all retained with declining assets and too late for the draft to save them

Seebrook, Keith , Quick etc....should of been peddled for youth

That's why I respect what the Rangers have done , starting unloading 2 years ago ( window was over ) and replenishing with picks , prospects and a ton of cap space available in 1-2 years . Kreider and others will be unloaded this deadline as well .

They need way more help but at least they are building some functionality and have some players to work with down the road

huh

the rangers are trying to habs method

retooling - trade some vets for picks/prospects
stuck with lundy, staal
signed panarin and trouba to massive deals

i guess they lucked into kaapo though...so they have that

bingo ( minus the last line)
he gets and trades low round picks all the time

Our only hope is the draft ...need to be elite

We don't have the luxury of trading or UFA`s , which is nothing but an exercise in futility most of the time with overpaying stiffs

at least they appear to be better at drafting lately

and i am glad they did away with the old AHL crew

Had to chuckle at Brian Burke yesterday, on my TV, telling Leaf fans what works in the playoffs.

All the teams he's been involved with haven't won a playoff round in over a decade.

speaking of burke where is montana? has he still given up on the team? :p

Let's limit our laughing at Bergy to only three or four pages please. It's too much to take that this guy is so overtly choosing to extend his employment rather than act in the best interests of the team. If there was ever a time to throw in the towel and rebuild, he's got an excuse now with all the injuries and where they sit halfway through the season. But no, the guy wants to make the playoffs. And hilariously won't, which is the best part of all this.

We just added Scandella and Kovalchuk. Time to plan the parade?

We just added Scandella and Kovalchuk. Time to plan the parade?

Which parade?

source.gif

Back