• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League - 2024-25 Regular Season

if 566 goals and incredible longevity is an underachiever , I hate to see what a lousy career looks like

Only a select few will ever do what Marleau did
All ultimately meaningless goals since they led to zero championships. The thing I'll remember most about Marleau (aside from leading the Leafs to more first round losses, of course) is how he failed to move the needle for the Sharks to the point where they stripped him of his captaincy and thought that acquiring another career underachiever in Joe Thornton would actually be an improvement.

Marleau is just a latter day Michel Goulet, an accumulator of points who ultimately doesn't make the difference between winning and losing. Back in the day, every big win the Nordiques ever got was down to either or both of Peter Stastny and Dale Hunter. Goulet's contribution was just 50 meaningless goals in an era that was lousy with 50 goal scorers.

All ultimately meaningless goals since they led to zero championships. The thing I'll remember most about Marleau (aside from leading the Leafs to more first round losses, of course) is how he failed to move the needle for the Sharks to the point where they stripped him of his captaincy and thought that acquiring another career underachiever in Joe Thornton would actually be an improvement.

Marleau is just a latter day Michel Goulet, an accumulator of points who ultimately doesn't make the difference between winning and losing. Back in the day, every big win the Nordiques ever got was down to either or both of Peter Stastny and Dale Hunter. Goulet's contribution was just 50 meaningless goals in an era that was lousy with 50 goal scorers.

Cant judge anyone on cups , like him or Dionne

Those are incredible stats regardless of the league era

Marleau , Gartner , Ciccarrelli etc...may not have been a tier 1 player at any time but those goal stats are tier 1

Cant judge anyone on cups , like him or Dionne

Those are incredible stats regardless of the league era

Marleau , Gartner , Ciccarrelli etc...may not have been a tier 1 player at any time but those goal stats are tier 1
It's not just about a lack of Cups with guys like Marleau and Thornton. Dionne, Gartner, Ciccarrelli and others weren't the reason why their teams didn't win. By contrast, Marleau and Thornton were both singled out as main factors in their teams' failures. Marleau got stripped of his captaincy while Jumbo, who had the franchise player tag on him from his first day as a Bruin, got unceremoniously traded away. Then, for reasons I cannot fathom, both were signed by the Leafs with the idea that their "leadership" (a trait in which ironically both players proved for a decade they were lacking in) would lead them to the Promised Land. And of course they did a face plant in the playoffs because that's literally all they've ever done for their entire regrettable and pointless careers: fail in big games.

Glancing at that Sweden-Russia semi-final game, won by Russia in a shootout. In the OT 3 on 3 it looked like both teams were playing for a tie, compared to the wide open NHL 3 on 3 pond hockey, which I also hate. But if you are playing 3 on 3, do you really want to send it to a shootout, where neither team was very good either?

The European game is still a weird game. I remember when there was a thought some years ago for the NHL to go to big ice. What a screw up that would have been. Bad enough we did away with the tie.

Back