• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League - 2024-25 Regular Season

The thing with Mailloux/Harris/Guhle/Barron is, not all of them are going to make it here. There's probably one, maybe two, who aren't going to be NHLers.

Likely so, but how much time will it take for the Habs to make that call, and then respond accordingly? 2 years? These are kids. That said, the prospect of building a top flight D core with a group within a year or two of each other in age is extremely promising.

Lafrenière is intriguing, but the NYR would be nuts to move him now. He’s only 20 and started his career in a weird pandemic scenario. And he’s not gonna get much ice time, especially on the PP, as 20 year old on that roster. Caufield gets lots of ice because there’s no one else to fill that role, he’s it!

Reactions: CH1
The thing with Mailloux/Harris/Guhle/Barron is, not all of them are going to make it here. There's probably one, maybe two, who aren't going to be NHLers.

I think Harris & Guhle are virtually guaranteed to have long NHL careers, but I don't think either one of them will ever be considered elite d-men. Mailloux & Barron, TBD, but they have greater potential upside.

Nearly two years ago, I made a thread asking: Would you trade Nick Suzuki for Lafrenière? My thinking at the time was simple: No matter how good a winger is, they are an inherently less valuable position than centers, even if the center is the inferior player.

If I were to make the same thread now, I don't think anyone here would trade Suzuki for Lafrenière. However, I would still give up a fair amount for Lafrenière. There's always the debate about, who should play next to Caufield & Suzuki? Is it Anderson? Is it Drouin? Is it Pitlick? Is it Armia (lol)?

How about Alexis Lafrenière?

I'd still be shocked if Lafrenière didn't end up becoming a premier player in the NHL. He was just too good of a Junior player, and just so much better than everyone in his age group, I just don't know how he wouldn't become a premier player in the NHL.

I tend to agree but it's a pretty slow start to his career so there is definitely a risk involved.

Likely so, but how much time will it take for the Habs to make that call, and then respond accordingly? 2 years? These are kids. That said, the prospect of building a top flight D core with a group within a year or two of each other in age is extremely promising.

Lafrenière is intriguing, but the NYR would be nuts to move him now. He’s only 20 and started his career in a weird pandemic scenario. And he’s not gonna get much ice time, especially on the PP, as 20 year old on that roster. Caufield gets lots of ice because there’s no one else to fill that role, he’s it!

We got time in a rebuilding phase

Sprinkle them with some vets and see what we got , there is no rush or panic to win anything right now

We got time in a rebuilding phase

Sprinkle them with some vets and see what we got , there is no rush or panic to win anything right now

Yeah, and with everything this franchise has done in the last x years, it would be nice if they were patient with these kids, coach them up and get a good look at them. There’s always a chance 3 of them turn out to be Top 4 guys, and we have the makings are a excellent D corps for 6, 7, 8 years.

I tend to agree but it's a pretty slow start to his career so there is definitely a risk involved.
There's risk, but this isn't a risk that would stop me. Lafrenière is too good of a prospect to just bust like this. As Habsy pointed out, Huberdeau's career started this way too. His first two seasons weren't great, and then came his third season.

NYR won't move him, but if they do, I'd be all over it.

Jason Robertson 39 overall in 2017, has 37 goals this year for Dallas. I was just looking my old copy of the Hockey News draft preview for 2017, where he was ranked 55 or something. It said skating and some other stuff were weak, but he was a pure scorer. I has a * put by his name as a guy we should go after in the second round at least, if we had a shot.

He was gone by our pick, #56 (Josh Brook). But it still pisses me off as I know we would have ignored Robertson anyway. Timmins and his crowd just seemed to forego these type of players-scorers available beyond the first round, with a few things to work on. What great value for Dallas.

Reactions: CH1
Jason Robertson 39 overall in 2017, has 37 goals this year for Dallas. I was just looking my old copy of the Hockey News draft preview for 2017, where he was ranked 55 or something. It said skating and some other stuff were weak, but he was a pure scorer. I has a * put by his name as a guy we should go after in the second round at least, if we had a shot.

He was gone by our pick, #56 (Josh Brook). But it still pisses me off as I know we would have ignored Robertson anyway. Timmins and his crowd just seemed to forego these type of players-scorers available beyond the first round, with a few things to work on. What great value for Dallas.
There is talent in every draft , development is crucial

I am looking at the standings this morning and Winnipeg has not been eliminated which i thought they would be, if they win their final 5 games they can catch Dallas assuming Dallas loses the final 5, however Dallas would still have more wins... what am i missing?

I am looking at the standings this morning and Winnipeg has not been eliminated which i thought they would be, if they win their final 5 games they can catch Dallas assuming Dallas loses the final 5, however Dallas would still have more wins... what am i missing?
Regulation and OT wins are the tie breaker. Not wins.

at least that used to be the case

Back