• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Bergevin, Timmins and Paul Wilson relieved of duties; Jeff Gorton hired as EVP

Molson just said that Gorton has a long term deal. He’s the big boss here for a while, Sal.

I think Molson wont interfere as well , Jeff is da man

He gets a challenge and unique opportunity no other team could offer

He would be the King of the province turning around this ship

There is still an Assistant GM, Scouting Director and Comms VP to be hired.

Based on Molson's comments at PC, a full rebuild is on the table. Right time to do it with Shane Wright, Connor Bedard, and that Russian super kid on the map the next three drafts,

Molson just said that Gorton has a long term deal. He’s the big boss here for a while, Sal.
Molson also said the GM will be responsible for all decisions, not Gorton - which is confusing to say the least.

The skating is interesting..

Molson also said the GM will be responsible for all decisions, not Gorton - which is confusing to say the least.

You know the "Say you're X without saying you're X" meme?

That's what he said today in terms of who the boss is.

Gorton will be making all relevant decisions and whichever good looking French guy with some equity with the fans will be given the title of Figurehead.

Engels saying that Danny Briere might be the favorite for the GM job. Fine by me. That would mean that Gorton is the clear boss. Don’t need too many chefs in the kitchen and Briere could be given ample time to learn from Gorton.

Yeah, and who is hiring the GM? Gorton, not Molson. So chances are, Gorton is going to hire someone who is on the same page or who is willing to be on whatever page Gorton needs him to be on in order to keep his job.

Gorton probably has at least a five year deal at about $4-5$ million per. Molson also said that Gorton will live in Montreal.
Exactly. If Gorton's contract was one year or some sort of temporary band-aid to see them through until a permanent GM was hired then that would be one thing. But he is signed to a long term deal (which, in my mind is a minimum of 5 years) and would need to be, because he can get a job anywhere he wants in the league. So he isn't a stop-gap or a temp. He is "the man" for the foreseeable future. This is his team to put his stamp on. No junior executive rookie GM, regardless of his title or the size of his 7th floor office, is going to change that fact. The new GM is the one who's going to be on an entry level, wait and see type of contract.

The francophone media can either play along and pretend that the new French guy is the actual GM or they can rail against it as a sham but the decision has been made. They will have their francophone GM. Tribute will be paid. They'll need to be satisfied with that because that's all they're going to get.

Back