• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

No, fuck you.

I’ve made the argument before, at length, and with all the supporting facts, that all of these guys have dropped the ball in elimination games. Putting the focus on Marner is misleading and scapegoating.

Go back and pull up the game by game breakdown that I went to great pains to provide before. You got crushed under the weight of it, so you should remember exactly what I’m referring to.

I don’t know what the difference is here. Maybe it’s the addition of game 5’s to the mix, or maybe it’s going back to their first year instead of setting a cutoff a few years back. I can look into it in the morning, but the facts were that they all bombed in games 6 and 7 in recent years. I don’t care if stats from 2018 make Matty and Nylander look better. They’ve all been bad in big games.

Fuck you very much.

$_1.JPG

Adding this year's games 5 through 7 to the prior body of work in elimination games since the big offensive explosion in CBJ Game 4:

2024 BOS7 - Lost 2-1, Nylander with a goal and Matty with an assist.

2024 BOS6 - Won 2-1, Willy with two goals, Marner zero, Matty didn't play.

2024 BOS5 - Won 2-1. Marner and Tavares with assists, Willy zero, Matty didn't play.

2023 FLA5 - One goal from all the forwards against Florida.

2023 TB6 - Got what we needed when we needed it - the Tavares OT winner - but this is the one outlier game, so doesn't even belong here.

2022 TB7 - Zero goals from any forward.

2022 TB6 - Lost in OT - Point steps up for them.

2021 MTL7 - One goal from all the forwards, and it was a garbage goal at the end when the game was lost.

2021 MTL6 - Nothing from the big guns.

2021 MTL5 - Nothing from the big guns.

2020 CBJ5 - Shut out.

Willy had a nice couple of final games this year, but overall, looking back on the last 11 elimination games, they were all pretty much shit. To focus it on Marner is silly.

But no one said the others were good enough. The stats were provided. Marner has been a poor producer in the biggest games. And this is one reason why he's not adored much to your surprise. I don't know how you can argue with statistics.

But no one said the others were good enough. The stats were provided. Marner has been a poor producer in the biggest games. And this is one reason why he's not adored much to your surprise. I don't know how you can argue with statistics.
Doesn't that list show that they've all been poor producers in the biggest games since their last big offensive spurt (over three minutes)?

Doesn't that list show that they've all been poor producers in the biggest games since their last big offensive spurt (over three minutes)?
I was responding to you being surprised that Marner isn't adored in Toronto. I provided an explanation. That one was of them. Another argument showed that he scores at a worse rate than David Kampf in the playoffs. I hope I helped you figure it out.

I was responding to you being surprised that Marner isn't adored in Toronto. I provided an explanation. That one was of them. Another argument showed that he scores at a worse rate than David Kampf in the playoffs. I hope I helped you figure it out.
Do we rely on Marner for goals now?

My surprise isn't at him not being liked, it's at him being disliked any more than anyone else. They've all been bad for almost all of the last 5 postseasons' elimination games.

My surprise isn't at him not being liked, it's at him being disliked any more than anyone else. They've all been bad for almost all of the last 5 postseasons' elimination games.
As the statistics show, he is the worst of the three in the biggest games. Matthews still scores at his regular season rate in games 5-7. Nylander produces points at his regular season rate. Auston's assist numbers are way down though. It doesn't help that his most common linemate in those games is the guy that has scored 1 goal in 465 minutes of game 5-7 action. That's very bad. And this may help explain why people dislike him a touch more than the others, on top of his father, prior rocky negotiation and bitch media comments.

I hope this as helped. This is all I can do. I'm not saying it's right or wrong that he's disliked or that they should trade him. I am simply explaining why he is not adored.

Even if all your prime stars suck in the post, you can’t trade them all. Matthews is untouchable. Nylander just signed a huge deal (and rides the subway)

That leaves Marner

I wonder what the feeling would be if Marner had thrown a few checks now and then...I daresay a bit better at least.

...I mean a few checks a season

Yes?

This is a player who, over the course of his entire career, has scored at a 28-goal pace in the regular season. And he’s averaged a 34 goal pace over the past three regular seasons.

So when combined with him being one of the NHL’s highest paid forwards, his tons of ice-time, and first unit powerplay position—why exactly wouldn’t we be relying on him to score some goals in the playoffs?

As the statistics show, he is the worst of the three in the biggest games. Matthews still scores at his regular season rate in games 5-7. Nylander produces points at his regular season rate. Auston's assist numbers are way down though. It doesn't help that his most common linemate in those games is the guy that has scored 1 goal in 465 minutes of game 5-7 action. That's very bad. And this may help explain why people dislike him a touch more than the others, on top of his father, prior rocky negotiation and bitch media comments.

I hope this as helped. This is all I can do. I'm not saying it's right or wrong that he's disliked or that they should trade him. I am simply explaining why he is not adored.
I agree, the goal scoring is bad, obviously. But at the end of the day, I just care if they show up with some points in those games, and Matty and Willy are more the goal guys for me anyway.

In any event, what are their stats in those last 11 elimination games?

Back