• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

"But that's partially because of who the GM is."
He's a moron, but what is the point of this discussion then?

We're supposed to view the situation through the lens of an idiot and not the possibilities that even an idiot might stumble into?

He's a moron, but what is the point of this discussion then?

We're supposed to view the situation through the lens of an idiot and not the possibilities that even an idiot might stumble into?
The point is I want them to have maximum cap space to leave room from his guaranteed 2-3 dud dumb signings. Every team needs some room to allow for some mistakes, Tre just happens to need a little more.

Yeah, we do.

What we don't need is an 11 million dollar mid tier 2C who scores at a 50 point pace in the playoffs.

The point is I want them to have maximum cap space to leave room from his guaranteed 2-3 dud dumb signings. Every team needs some room to allow for some mistakes, Tre just happens to need a little more.
As stupid as I think he is, I still have to be optimistic that he's not going to just blow money on total crap.

I'm also eager to see how no further influence from Keefe translates into his moves. No doubt there was some bad influence there before, or Baboon wouldn't have been given a chance at a second tour of duty. I could also definitely see Keefe being someone who really wanted the goonery and unplayable muscle that Reaves brought. This is our first look without that fucking idiot having an impact on the other fucking idiot, and maybe this time he won't be as dumb.

He still did aim for offense in Bertuzzi, Domi, and Klingberg, so I do take some comfort in that. Since we had to scratch and claw for every goal in the playoffs and ultimately lost by one single fucking shot, I don't think he'll be feeling like he had enough offense and needs to just focus on other areas.

I mean, could he totally fuck up and go towards more Baboon and Eddies? Sure, but we have to see if he actually does and not just assume it.

This is a pretty funny statement from a guy who wants to dump Tavares then.

You want the $11M to be freed up so that he can use that for 2-3 dud signings instead? Or do you think there's a limit as to how many dud signings he can pull off, and so the existing space is reserved for a bunch of dumb shit, but then he'll get super smart with the extra $11M?

Reactions: CH1
What I don't need is running back the core 4 for a 7th year to see if it will maybe work this time, while paying them even more than we ever have.
It's only one more year, and the problems are always so clearly other areas that need improvement and not the core 4. First and foremost, the shitty coach. We should've had the opportunity to see what would've happened without Keefe last year, as Tre should've fired him on arrival. We never got to see it, but we will this year. That's a big variable.

Devote the attention to the rest of the roster and see what happens. If it fails, then things are by necessity going to be very different the next year without lifting a finger to push expensive contracts out the door.

Can't be so scared of change.
There's something to be said for that (and I'll admit it is a bit of an issue), but with a new coach and lots of space to add better guys, I'd still take the conservative approach for one more year. Change is coming soon anyway, but if we didn't have a lot of space to play around with to create some decent change now, I might have a different view on how soon the drastic change needs to come.

Also, getting full years and giving genuine opportunities to Robertson, Knies, McMann, Holmberg and maybe Cowan and Minten are going to be kinda huge on their own. Add another few key players in free agency, and there's a lot to be optimistic about.

There's something to be said for that (and I'll admit it is a bit of an issue), but with a new coach and lots of space to add better guys, I'd still take the conservative approach for one more year. Change is coming soon anyway, but if we didn't have a lot of space to play around with to create some decent change now, I might have a different view on how soon the drastic change needs to come.
They have the least amount of space ever beyond the core 4, no?

Back