• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

The issue is those teams don't have a ton at the NHL level.

Utah - Crouse
SJ - Couture
Chicago - maybe Jones but he is also not good.

Nothing to structure a deal around unless it's futures.
I think you should pickup elite futures

Why does a team even need a coach?

Let's go street hockey style for a year and have zero fucking coaches.

Let the players coach themselves and see what happens, rather than have a clown in a suit pretend like he knows something and make all the decisions.
player coach. Matthews.

Carolina Hurricanes

this is the first year most everyone was up against the cap, because the cap hasn't gone up in years, though even then a quarter of the league had substantial space. but now that the cap is going up again there will probably be more space.

and there's probably some LTIR contracts available to take on from teams that would rather not piss that real money away.

If you don't bring the regular season stats into it....how favorable is having Marner on this team....looking at all past playoff performances as well. Seems he's all too busy avoiding physicality to be a real force in the playoffs?

I mean, he's not wrong. The narrative usually is bullshit. Tavares has been overall the worst of the big 4 by a fair margin and gets fuck all for criticism.

Marner you only move if there is a real hockey trade, but Tavares you have to move and the return basically doesn't matter if it clears 8-9 million in cap. But John scoring 2 points isn't the dominant narrative for whatever reason

how favorable is having Marner on this team....looking at all past playoff performances as well.

Even including this dogshit playoffs:

PPG (league rank)

2 yrs: .94 (23rd)
3 yrs: 1.00 (17th)
4 yrs: .91 (19th)
5 yrs: .89 (22nd)

Marner has not played like a superstar in the playoffs, but the idea that he (or Matthews/Nylander) have been bad overall in the playoffs during this era is just wrong. Mitch goes from a top ~10 scorer in the regular season to a top ~20 scorer in the playoffs. But a lot of that can be laid at the feet of our PP. You can't tell me a guy is out there producing at 5v5 but just he just doesn't want it enough on the PP? Our PP falls apart every year in the playoffs and the likeliest culprit is coaching.

Same 5 yrs:

Regular season powerplay: 24.4% (3rd)
Playoff powerplay: 15.4% (23rd)

Ma'am, I think I've found the problem with your offence.

I mean, he's not wrong. The narrative usually is bullshit. Tavares has been overall the worst of the big 4 by a fair margin and gets fuck all for criticism.

Marner you only move if there is a real hockey trade, but Tavares you have to move and the return basically doesn't matter if it clears 8-9 million in cap. But John scoring 2 points isn't the dominant narrative for whatever reason
It's not like the other three each had 10 points to make him look like some outlier.

Matty 1 goal in 5 games. Mitch 3 points in 7 games. Only Willy performed.

And all this trade talk here is much ado about nothing.

If there was more than 1 year left on Tavares' deal, then maybe they might try to force something.

If Marner didn't have the NMC, then they'd probably try to see what they could get for him.

Tavares isn't waiving to leave his desired team to go spend a shit year in Utah, and Mitch isn't going to roll over and agree to leave town when he has an NMC and knows they can't risk letting him walk for nothing and thus will need to sign him.

The only flexibility here is the Leafs giving him the long term deal he wants (which they probably should) and getting him to back off from his crazy asks and take a reasonable deal.

Its hysterical watching Reilly, Matthews and Nylander talk about Marner. Reminds me of WKRP when they are interviewed about Herb Tarlek and all read from the same script "He's a loyal, hard working, all around great guy"

Back