• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Trade Marner too if there's a move that makese sense.

But one of them is a 26 yr old 90-100 point elite winger who has a spotty but overall decent production track record in the playoffs. The other is a 34 yr old boat anchor who has been fucking dreadful in the playoffs since he got here. A 26 goal, 52 point pace since he got here. We're paying him 11 million and he produces like a mediocre 2C in the playoffs.

A move that makes sense for Tavares is any move. Any move that has him in another jersey next season. I will personally rent the cannon we need to fire him into to the sun if necessary. 11 million of wasted cap space. He would be significantly more valuable to us as the entertainment director on Robidas Island than he is as an 11 million dollar boat anchor.
If you said this after we played a series where our big guys put up the numbers the Oilers' big guys just did, then sure.

When we scored 2 goals or fewer in 6 of the 7 games, and all you have to rip on is Tavares' production when basically everyone fell on their face, it's meaningless.

Mitch goes from a top ~10 scorer in the regular season to a top ~20 scorer in the playoffs. But a lot of that can be laid at the feet of our PP.
That’s kind of awful though, when you consider that half the players in the league don’t make the playoffs.

As for the PP drying up, some of that blame has to fall on Mitch as well.

No crack! I'm being serious. It's a lovely trait to have. Loyalty and unconditional love/support. Any partner would love that.
You're obviously willing to entertain multiple genders, which is great news for Jonas, but I'll stick to females.

If you said this after we played a series where our big guys put up the numbers the Oilers' big guys just did, then sure.

When we scored 2 goals or fewer in 6 of the 7 games, and all you have to rip on is Tavares' production when basically everyone fell on their face, it's meaningless.

Except "everyone" didn't fall on their face. Tavares and Marner did. Matthews and Nylander, especially considering that they were playing through illness and injuries, were solid.

You pull this whatabout bullshit every time John flops.

Except "everyone" didn't fall on their face. Tavares and Marner did. Matthews and Nylander, especially considering that they were playing through illness and injuries, were solid.

You pull this whatabout bullshit every time John flops.
Solid from a 69 goal scorer is not 1 goal in 5 games. He has the sickness excuse, but the end result is the same nothingness in the elimination games when we need a goal.

Ya Willy and Matthews were involved in 50% of the goals the team scored in games they played. Granted, we didn't score much, but that's kind of where the two other $11 million dollar guys are supposed to come in handy.

That’s kind of awful though, when you consider that half the players in the league don’t make the playoffs.

Awful is a strong word. Top 20 in a 16 team playoff is still pretty solid. It's not star level production. It's not 11 million dollar production. My intent isn't to defend Marner from legitimate criticism. We could really use him being better in the playoffs, he plays too much of a perimeter game and even when he generates some points doesn't move the needle a whole lot with his presence out there. But there's some reason for optimism with him. We've seen him be a driving force in a playoff series, we've seen him make impressive plays and take portions of games over. Again, I would be cool with a real hockey trade with him, but he's definitely not an "addition by subtraction" case, even with his cap space in the conversation.

As for the PP drying up, some of that blame has to fall on Mitch as well.

Yeah, agreed. I think we hold the puck way too much in general and Mitch is probably the biggest culprit there.

A lot of it is a blatant stylistic decision too. They chose to be a low scoring team that plays ugly hockey once the playoffs begin and it got worse and more extreme every year. Hyman was a zero as a leaf in the playoffs. He wasn't the issue, the way they played was.

So a lot of these "player x sucks in the playoffs" discussions are getting overblown too. They don't even try to score.

Solid from a 69 goal scorer is not 1 goal in 5 games. He has the sickness excuse, but the end result is the same nothingness in the elimination games when we need a goal.

More whatabout bullshit.

We spent 40 million on 4 forwards....2 of them owned the ice when they were on and generated offence for themselves or for others (all of Auston's points were goals or primary assists fwiw). Tavares had a few good nerdies games but overall finished with a 48% xG and horrific production rates both at 5v5 and PP.

Don't worry about Auston. Worry about the 11 million dollar boat anchor

A lot of it is a blatant stylistic decision too. They chose to be a low scoring team that plays ugly hockey once the playoffs begin and it got worse and more extreme every year. Hyman was a zero as a leaf in the playoffs. He wasn't the issue, the way they played was.

So a lot of these "player x sucks in the playoffs" discussions are getting overblown too. They don't even try to score.
It really hit home how much I hate this team when I watched Benoit skate through the neutral zone, not even glance at an two wide open Leafs that would have had numbers on the far side (wanna say Willy and someone else good), chug on an angle toward the boards with laser focus of reaching center, for a weak dump in to the near corner for an easy clear for the B's.

Fuck me I hate our defense and style of play.

More whatabout bullshit.

We spent 40 million on 4 forwards....2 of them owned the ice when they were on and generated offence for themselves or for others (all of Auston's points were goals or primary assists fwiw). Tavares had a few good nerdies games but overall finished with a 48% xG and horrific production rates both at 5v5 and PP.

Don't worry about Auston. Worry about the 11 million dollar boat anchor
I don't have to worry about either.

One is the face of the franchise for many years yet, and the other has one year left on his big deal and will probably give us another 30 goals in year 7 of the contract. These aren't my concerns going into the offseason.

Ridding the roster of guys like Kampf, Reaves, Gregor, Baboon, Brodie, Gio, Dewar, and Sammy, and not replacing them with duplicates of them, is my concern. If we just dump all the lackluster bottom line/pairing types, and play kids instead of them who have speed and skill, then that's probably the whole problem solved. Add a bonus player if it's possible with the expiring Bert and Domi contracts, or bring them back, whatever.

The main issue is in the bottom half of the roster, not the top half, and the guy who gets to make the lineup card.

....or....get rid of the declining 11 million dollar #2/3 centre and re allocate the money to better players?

There's lots of things to be concerned about, but top of the list needs to be the 11 million dollar captain who just failed again.

....or....get rid of the declining 11 million dollar #2/3 centre and re allocate the money to better players?

There's lots of things to be concerned about, but top of the list needs to be the 11 million dollar captain who just failed again.
He won't waive.

Yes he will.

If it's made clear the team has no interest in an extension, and would like to part ways, he'll leave. Nobody stays where they're not wanted.
Only if the acquiring team offers an extension. I don't see him waiving otherwise.

Back