• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Well, fuck.

This reads like the entire front office are keeping their jobs from Shanny on down.

View: https://x.com/reporterchris/status/1787607451308556355?s=46&t=slvKDnX1n9ri7D4jpSVVzA

The one thing I'll say about this is something I mentioned yesterday. Pelley has his first full meeting with the board scheduled at the end of the May and it's the first official meeting with them where he'll pitch his vision of the organization moving forward.

They're not firing Shanny before that meeting. This is a board level decision, not just a Pelley decision.

The Leafs will have 4 forwards making $11 mill next years. More than they ever spent on the Core 4.

Seems like a poor allocation of cap space for a team that played Boosh, Edmundson and Benoit on D.

They could try it again for some reason. Or they could trade the oldest of the 4, and relocate that cap space to you know, actually building a good team.

I mean for Tavares $11 mill you could probably get Stamkos or Marchesault ti replace Tavares production and Skjei/Montour/Roy/Walker.

Well the change is Keefe and the coaching staff gone.

As expected/feared, Tredumbass is staying aboard, and that means to me that the core 5 aren't moving. That's not this guy's style, we already know that. He'll focus on finding a new coach, re-upping Marner, and working around the borders of the roster.

I am somewhat curious to see what happens when you just remove Keefe and his staff. Will there be a turnaround from relying on slugs and plugs, and now go back to skill and kids? The change in isolation will at least provide proper data on fatty's actual impact here.

This management group thinks they took it to 7 because of Bundy's amazing deadline. Woulda been way better if they lost in 5. They're fucked. I'm out.

This management group thinks they took it to 7 because of Bundy's amazing deadline. Woulda been way better if they lost in 5. They're fucked. I'm out.

Treating the first round like it’s the Cup final

The one thing I'll say about this is something I mentioned yesterday. Pelley has his first full meeting with the board scheduled at the end of the May and it's the first official meeting with them where he'll pitch his vision of the organization moving forward.

They're not firing Shanny before that meeting. This is a board level decision, not just a Pelley decision.

End of May is too late, IMO…. You call an emergency zoom mtg for this type of course direction.

You don't bring everyone together, discuss the way forward with the three pillars of your a management group, and then a month later say "well actually we're firing one of them."

They're staying. And it's a vote of confidence for the work that Treliving did. He will continue on that path. The common narrative out there is that they "played a winning style" which is the equivalent of "they played a good road game." Which actually means they're fucking shit, have no talent but they got lucky and won or almost won somehow. And I genuinely believe that the entire management group believes in that style, especially if Pelley is keeping them on board.

If they're coming to the public with Shanny there, then he's not going anywhere in May.

It would signal that the circus is in town if they hold a group presser like this only for Pelley to fire Shanahan a few weeks later. And the same applies for Trediot.

I'll settle for the Keefe firing for now.

The Leafs will have 4 forwards making $11 mill next years. More than they ever spent on the Core 4.

Seems like a poor allocation of cap space for a team that played Boosh, Edmundson and Benoit on D.

They could try it again for some reason. Or they could trade the oldest of the 4, and relocate that cap space to you know, actually building a good team.

I mean for Tavares $11 mill you could probably get Stamkos or Marchesault ti replace Tavares production and Skjei/Montour/Roy/Walker.
Here is where you must become cutthroat and do what Vegas would do: Force Tavares out.

Nah, I think you guys are looking at this too emotionally.

Pelley has yet to take his suggestions to the board. Again, out of his own mouth, he lays out his vision to the board later this month and Shanahan's employment is a likely topic because of his contract status. Even if Pelley's suggestion right now today was to turf him, that's a board level decision and the next board meeting isn't for a few more weeks. There have already been rumblings about the position being eliminated entirely.

Treliving though, unfortunately gets another seasons' worth of rope but I don't know if I would intrepret that as approval of his job or direction. Probably more a function of it being hard to walk into an organization and remove the 3 senior hockey people all at once.

This strikes me as hopium.

If decapitating hockey ops is even a consideration, Pelley doesn’t have the time to sit around twiddling his thumbs for three weeks until a regularly scheduled board meeting. Not with the hugely consequential decisions they have to make this offseason.

He’d need to be starting his search for replacement management yesterday, in order to give them as much as possible of the little remaining runway before the off-season starts.

I also can’t imagine any circumstance where Pelley shares the podium with Shanahan & Treliving if he wants to fire either or both of them. If he was, he’d let them face the music on their own like Treliving did with Keefe.

The reason he’s up there is to give them both a public vote of confidence for next season.

Back