• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Nah, we have to stop doing this. Stop giving Rielly a defensive minder and then playing him against hard competition.

Give Rielly someone else who has offensive skills, and play them against easy competition. Give him all the O zone starts, etc.

If you bring in a Tanev, it's to handle the tough matchups. Keep Mo as far away from that as we can.

with Tanev, McCabe and very probably someone else to take the toughs ahead of him, they'll have enough depth to actually do the required Rielly coddling. for the time being, at any rate.

Have to say, I was good with Shanny throughout all this. If Dubie didn’t ultimately come through, ok it happens. He wanted to hire the donkey to replace him, okay maybe he sees something in him. He allowed Keefe to stay on way past his expiration date, pretty fucking annoying. But if he just blindly lets Pizza Shoes fill up the cap with shit contracts to olds, then Shanny really does have to fuck off. He lost the plot when the Dubas Family made its power move and hasn’t really recovered.

I was fine with Shanny until the Treliving hire tbh. A top executives job is to set some organizational philosophies and then just hire good people who run the day to day. He set the course to build a modern, professional organization out of the smoking wreckage left behind by the Burke era (TL was a nice course corrector who made Shanny's job easier in that regard fwiw). Immediately hired 2 of the most respected (at the time) guys in the industry to conduct a rebuild, identified one of the top young execs in the industry to bring in as the heir apparent and then turned shit over to him after a few years. Did most of the shit you ask a lead executive to do and did it well.

But after it didn't work out, his panic move was to look for someone with "experience" as if that was the problem with Dubas. Dubas turned out to be shit, the inexperience wasn't the reason why. Hiring the Nepo baby with "experience" but a dogshit track record to take over the most consequential few years of a teetering era of Leaf era is where he lost me.

OEL is actually kind of interesting if he’s cheap again but I doubt he’s cheap this year.

They gotta get a bit more creative than just go after expensive names.

Yep. Give me Carrier instead of OEL pls if that's the level we're aiming at. Probably cheaper, probably better. Don't sign guys because they were good in the playoffs you just finished watching. That the most recent that recency bias can possibly be.

Don’t they want to get a little bit of fucking offense from the blue line for once?? Get Montour at least, you stupid ass.

They’re so fucking dumb if they dump Lilly. These feel like the dark ages again, but we’re not fully aware it’s already upon us.
I like Liljegren, but can we stop pretending he and Sandin are some kind of misunderstood savants who would be instant superstars if they were just given the right kind of hand jobs by the coach every morning? Sandin in particular just isn't that good. He's negative offensively, negative defensively, and according to Dom's model not even worth his $1.4m salary. I would prefer to hang on to Lilly, but it's not like they'd be moving out the second coming of Bobby Orr here.

DUZdQ3p.jpeg

I like Liljegren, but can we stop pretending he and Sandin are some kind of misunderstood savants who would be instant superstars if they were just given the right kind of hand jobs by the coach every morning? Sandin in particular just isn't that good. He's negative offensively, negative defensively, and according to Dom's model not even worth his $1.4m salary. I would prefer to hang on to Lilly, but it's not like they'd be moving out the second coming of Bobby Orr here.

DUZdQ3p.jpeg
Sandin is now making $4.6m, and while I like him a bunch and thought he could’ve helped us in that playoff run since he’s like one of a handful of D we had in the last decade who had some offense in him, the trade worked out with Cowan ultimately being the return.

But I always liked Lilly more than Sandin. He’s everything we should want in a young dman and his potential is still through the roof imo. Throw out these fucking topps player cards. He’s very good but just needs the right situation and opportunity to build his confidence and bring out more production. It’d likely be a massive blunder to lose him.

I like Lilly too, but that is 2 years in a row where he kinda shit the bed come playoff time. And you can only blame the coach for so much, every other d-man played for the same coach too. At some point the player has to be held responsible for their own play. I do hope they find a way to keep him though.

I like Lilly too, but that is 2 years in a row where he kinda shit the bed come playoff time. And you can only blame the coach for so much, every other d-man played for the same coach too. At some point the player has to be held responsible for their own play. I do hope they find a way to keep him though.
I agree, at some point, like you said. But not yet. Not when he played for a coach who was always looking to pull him from the lineup, waiting for any mistake, playing garbage ahead of him. He’s finally free of that fatso and we should see what he can do before letting some other team have a crack at him.

I don't mind trading him if they can get something decent return and they can improve their d (i.e. Roy and Tanev). He's a fine player but I'm not signing him longterm to what would be 2nd pair money if he hasn't even proven that he can be a third pair guy come playoff time.

But of course you better get something decent in return and you better build a damn good d corps.

I don't mind trading him if they can get something decent return and they can improve their d (i.e. Roy and Tanev). He's a fine player but I'm not signing him longterm to what would be 2nd pair money if he hasn't even proven that he can be a third pair guy come playoff time.

But of course you better get something decent in return and you better build a damn good d corps.
Exactly zero Leafs have proved anything in the playoffs yet. If you want to make decisions based on that, get rid of everyone, including Matthews.

Yep. Give me Carrier instead of OEL pls if that's the level we're aiming at. Probably cheaper, probably better. Don't sign guys because they were good in the playoffs you just finished watching. That the most recent that recency bias can possibly be.
Kylington... buy low, high upside play.

I wouldn't add him to be in the top 4, and I can't see us signing a LHD for the 3rd pairing that pushes Benoit out.
I'm assuming timmins is moved and he can play 3rd pair or 7th D. Also assuming Tanev plays 55 games and zadorov is suspended for 20 games total.

I'm assuming timmins is moved and he can play 3rd pair or 7th D. Also assuming Tanev plays 55 games and zadorov is suspended for 20 games total.

LHD/RHD though

Buzz Kylington is a LHD. Our best deployment imo (assuming we sign Tanev which sounds like a safe bet right now) is

Rielly-XXXXX
McCabe-Tanev (I know they prefer McCabe on the right, but unless we get someone better in the toughs than McCabe, just give us a fucking shutty pair for the love of god)
Benoit-Lilly (with Lilly sadly maybe just being a placeholder right now...who knows, hopefully we keep him)

The obvious spot to fill is that Rielly partner with preferably, Montour.

Even if McCabe is that RHD with Rielly, now we need a LHD for the shutty pair with Tanev. Buzz isn't that guy either. Basically, anyway you slice it, the org would have to punt on Benoit to take a flyer on Buzz. I'm cool with it, but given Pizza twit's apparent preference for some snarl on this blueline, I don't see them moving away from young, cheap, angry and pretty okay Benoit.

My hope is we keep Lilly and don't sign OEL.

Tanev goes down and Lilly moves to the pair with rielly. Zadorov or McCabe go down and benoit moved up.

Back