• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

I don't think Zadorov ever played with Tanev on Calgary (Zadorov was always on the third pair because that's likely what he is) but if they sign him that's probably your shutdown pair of you're going that route. Because Zadorov is firmly on the left and so is Mo probably. Tanev is firmly on the right. McCabe can do both.

So Zadorov-Tanev and Rielly -Mccabe it is

My hope is we keep Lilly and don't sign OEL.

Tanev goes down and Lilly moves to the pair with rielly. Zadorov or McCabe go down and benoit moved up.

Fwiw, we're going to be linked to every defender on the market over the next few days. We're not signing them all. I'm not going to just assume that the guys Dreger mentioned are going to be Leafs. If Elliotte says it though...well fuck.

Fwiw, we're going to be linked to every defender on the market over the next few days. We're not signing them all. I'm not going to just assume that the guys Dreger mentioned are going to be Leafs. If Elliotte says it though...well fuck.

View: https://x.com/DarrenDreger/status/1674171758314700802?t=FAZ5vHqGZEsKiu12IqWjrQ&s=19

I've got nightmares of this tho. Dregs was all over the Reavo thing before anyone else. If he says they want all three of Tanev, Zadorov, and OEL, I'm not counting out that he's right.

I think 4.5ish

For that length? Nah.

His projection was 3 x 4.48.

If you're Tanev's agents and you go assigning values to the years it would look something like this:

Yr 1 (34) : 4.48
Yr 2 (35) : 4.48
Yr 3 (36) : 4.48

This is where the polite arguments happen though because there aren't many comparables at 37 who sign for more than league min. Even if you're super kind and you give him the Goligoski 2m AAV (signed at 37 yrs old, 2 year term) but make that 4 years your contract looks like this basically:

Yr 4 (37) : 2.0
Yr 5 (38) : 2.0
Yr 6 (39) : 2.0
Yr 7 (40) : 2.0

Total: 7 yrs, 21.44 million: 3.06 AAV. Fuck about with the 3.06 however Pridham wants to make it moveable in whatever ways later.

Even assume that the market for him is hotter than that and someone is willing to go like 5.25 x 3 (a fair bit over his projection) and you feel the need to move up the value of those first 3 years to 4.75-5.00 (for clarity, assigning different market values to the years obviously does nothing to the AAV but is the right way to look at a deal this long...you're competing against teams offering him ~3 years here. What those later years would actually be "worth" if he were a free agent after 3 yrs is definitely part of the math here). Even valuing those first 3 years at 5 instead of 4.5 only pushes the 7 year AAV up to 3.7 million.

OEL projected to get ~4.1 for 3 years, Zadorov ~5.3 for 5 years. Tanev 3.5 for 7 years? Maybe they do 7 years for OEL too to get him down to ~2.5-3ish? He'll be 33 so a 7 year deal should bring his AAV down. With some creative contracts they can fit them all.

Yippee?

I like Zadorov. He's probably "worth" the ~5.25 AFP projects him at.

But that term fucking scares me. He's mobile for 6'6 250 but only just mobile. 29-30-31 are probably fine, but if it's a 5 yr deal 32 and 33 concern the shit out of me with Zadarov

Not a long enough track record of successful top 4 action on Zadorov for me to feel too comfortable there. He has a great playoff but before his Vancouver stint he was always just a third pair guy. I think Matt Roy gets the same contract and he's a RD and has a longer track record of successful top four action.

But we'll see if they actually get the same deal. Maybe Zadorov is cheaper in the end.

Back