• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

OEL projected to get ~4.1 for 3 years, Zadorov ~5.3 for 5 years. Tanev 3.5 for 7 years? Maybe they do 7 years for OEL too to get him down to ~2.5-3ish? He'll be 33 so a 7 year deal should bring his AAV down. With some creative contracts they can fit them all.

Yippee?

I'm not horny for OEL at all. Turns 33 in July and was brutal until Florida put him on their 3rd pair. I want no part of a 4 million dollar 3rd pairing guy who almost played his way out of the league and is coming off being the #5 defender on a cup champion. Feels like the type of bad deal we see every year when some idiot GM throws real money at completely replaceable depth players from the cup champion. Barclay Goodrow type shit.

Lol talking ourselves into Tanev, Zadorov. Oh man.

Tanev at the right contract doesn't need much talking into. I wasn't just talking myself into Zadorov, I was talking myself out of him. Don't want despite liking the player right now.

I'm not horny for OEL at all. Turns 33 in July and was brutal until Florida put him on their 3rd pair. I want no part of a 4 million dollar 3rd pairing guy who almost played his way out of the league and is coming off being the #5 defender on a cup champion. Feels like the type of bad deal we see every year when some idiot GM throws real money at completely replaceable depth players from the cup champion. Barclay Goodrow type shit.
I was encouraged when I heard the Roy rumor. But in the end Bundy is grabbing the brand names with the large price tags that aren't actually better quality than the knock off brands. Hoped for more creativity and thinking outside the box. But that was dumb hope.

Yeah, I was just about to post this. For me, it's shades of Klingberg, if Klingberg had played on Florida. I could see OEL crash and burn bad on this team, like Barrie did. And the thing is, he doesn't even move the needle much offensively. He's not some 60 point guy or something. He's had a nice career, and I'd find a one year deal intriguing, but not some 3-4 year deal. You can't fill up your cap with these old guys waiting for the other shoe to drop.

And hey, maybe Pizza Shoes is only interested in a similar Klingberg situation where no one gives OEL the deal he wants and intends to just sign him for a year.

Not a long enough track record of successful top 4 action on Zadorov for me to feel too comfortable there. He has a great playoff but before his Vancouver stint he was always just a third pair guy. I think Matt Roy gets the same contract and he's a RD and has a longer track record of successful top four action.

But we'll see if they actually get the same deal. Maybe Zadorov is cheaper in the end.

Yeah, Zadorov is that exact same thing I said about OEL. Ignoring a decade long career as an okay but just okay #4-5 defender because he beasted for a couple of weeks this past spring (after being terrible after the trade to Vancouver in the regular season...)

Zadorov projection: 5.3 x 5
Matt Roy projection: 5.8 x 5

Mat fucking Roy all day, every day. Roy might be undervalued. Zadorov way over valued imo.

Tanev at the right contract doesn't need much talking into. I wasn't just talking myself into Zadorov, I was talking myself out of him. Don't want despite liking the player right now.

The sound bytes will make another first round exit less painful

Truthfully, it's all poop.

We're leaving Montour and Skjei out there like we did Ekholm, and are chasing the McCabes of the free agent class - except we're not going to pay them like McCabe, but rather much more.

I just want a guy or two who moves the puck quickly. No Benoit or eddy or boosh who just throws it away. No Lilly who always ends up moving it d to d.

Zadorov over Eddy, Tanev over Boosh and OEL over playoff Liljegren is definitely an upgrade!

They can and should do so much better than that though.

Tanev is elite at what he does. OEL was a very good 3rd pair, PP1 on a cup winner that filled in as a top pair guy during injuries.

Zadorov seems like the mistake we always make.

Playoffs 5v5

Montour: 24gms, 37.1toi%, -5.4dzs%, 54.6xgf%, +1.8rel, 0.57p1/60, 1.00p/60
Tanev: 19gms, 35.8toi%, +13.2dzs%, 54.8xgf%, +1.1rel, 0.00p1/60, 0.16p/60
Zadorov: 13gms, 35.3toi%, +4.9dzs%, 51.7xgf%, +1.0rel, 1.10p1/60, 1.92p/60
Roy 5gms, 33.3toi%, -2.1dzs%, 50.4xgf%, +2.1rel, 0.00p1/60, 0.73p/60
Skjei 11gms, 31.3toi%, -5.4dzs%, 61.0xgf%, +5.7rel, 1.32p1/60, 1.65p/60
OEL 24gms, 27.5toi%, -7.5dzs%, 62.7xgf%, +8.9rel, 0.39p1/60, 0.39p/60
Pesce 2gms, 25.7toi%, -2.9dzs%, 67.3xgf%, +13.7rel, 0.00p1/60, 0.00p/60

Last 2yrs

Montour: 45gms, 38.7toi%, -2.9dzs%, 49.1xgf%, +0.6rel, 0.61p1/60, 0.96p/60
Pesce: 17gms, 35.9toi%, +0.3dzs%, 48.6xgf%, -5.1rel, 0.72p1/60, 1.09p/60
Tanev: 19gms, 35.8toi%, +13.2dzs%, 54.8xgf%, +1.1rel, 0.00p1/60, 0.16p/60
Zadorov: 13gms, 35.3toi%, +4.9dzs%, 51.7xgf%, +1.0rel, 1.10p1/60, 1.92p/60
Roy: 11gms, 35.0toi%, +1.3dzs%, 53.5xgf%, +6.3rel, 0.62p1/60, 0.92p/60
Skjei: 26gms, 34.6toi%, -1.1dzs%, 52.8xgf%, -1.0rel, 0.98p1/60, 1.11p/60
OEL 24gms, 27.5toi%, -7.5dzs%, 62.7xgf%, +8.9rel, 0.39p1/60, 0.39p/60

I won't hate on Tanev and Zadorov tbh.

But overpaying OEL would be annoying.

I bet Montour and Skjei take deals that we’ll find cheap, less than we all expect. They’re not big names like Pietro or something. We’ve likely overhyped them in our heads and when they sign with other teams for reasonable dollars, we’ll go nuts because we’ll have given just a bit less to Tanev and Zadorov.

I think Montour stays in florida.

I think skjei is not the guy we want and will likely be overpaid.

Roy is likely gonna be the best value. He's got the least wow rep to his game, but might be as good as any of them.

EF on 32 thoughts: Preds looking for established NHL player, or another high ceiling prospect(D/F) for Askarov

Liljegren for Askarov?

Back