• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

These boys clearly need a dominant personality behind the bench. Babcock was a bit much to say the least, but closer to him than Keefe.

Are we even sure Keefe is gonna go or what?

no-nope.gif

These boys clearly need a dominant personality behind the bench. Babcock was a bit much to say the least, but closer to him than Keefe.
They need someone like St. Louis. Former good player that they'll respect because he's been there. Not another average intelligent at best "hockey guy".

Sandin got 35 points last year and was basically ppg with the caps in his stint with them as a #2. Liljegren once again wasn't an NHL regular in the playoffs. I don't see it.
There’s a case to be made, but if you’re going to get term and not some 1 year deal, he’ll want to be paid on potential. If we don’t believe in him, we don’t sign him. But if we do, he’s not going to tie himself up into his 30s with $2.5m or $3m.

They need someone like St. Louis. Former good player that they'll respect because he's been there. Not another average intelligent at best "hockey guy".
St. Louis is another nice guy. No more nice guys pls.

There’s a case to be made, but if you’re going to get term and not some 1 year deal, he’ll want to be paid on potential. If we don’t believe in him, we don’t sign him. But if we do, he’s not going to tie himself up into his 30s with $2.5m or $3m.
I think he would. I don't think the leafs believe in him enough to offer term though. The forumice perception of this player is very very very different than the broader perception. Which is that he's a 6/7.

He has to be respected one way or another, and can't be a 'player's coach' (i.e. the players run the team). Babcock was seemingly not respected towards the end because of his bizarre antics.

I think you could get Lilly pretty cheap on a 1-2 year deal. But I also think $4 mill on a long term deal would work out really well with a coach.

UFA D by TOI

1. RHD B.Montour (30) 23:26
2. RHD D.Demelo (31) 21:43
3. LHD T.Brodie (34) 21:43
4. LHD B.Skjei (30) 21:16
5. RHD M.Roy (29) 20:53
6. RHD J.Klingberg (32) 20:33
7. RHD B.Pesce (30) 20:17
8. RHD M.Dumba (30) 19:44
9. RHD C.Tanev (35) 19:41
10. LHD S.Gostisbehere (31) 19:05
11. LHD A.Martinez (37) 19:02
12. RHD T.Myers (34) 18:56
13. RHD A.Carrier (28) 18:48

Going down the list there's a bunch of decent depth guys available too, though only one of them I think can convince people he's worth top-4 money:

24. LHD N.Zadorov (29): 17:26

I'd probably say Roy and Skjei are the prizes here, though i'm not 100% sold on it.

I'm more expecting us to be the team that overpays for an very overrated Zadorov and a very old Tanev instead.

Management aside, I still think there's a bunch of young guys that could be leaned on next season but I'm not sure how many of them is realistic to be in the lineup at once.

Obviously McMann, Knies, Robertson. Holmberg I thought had some strong moments.

Minten, Cowan, Grebyonkin are all pretty good prospects. Camp should be competitive. It'd be disappointing to scavenge for a bunch of mediocre veterans from shit teams.

Blueline and goaltending are the obvious weaknesses.

If the cost to get him with term is 4m than I'd prefer going short term for cheap. I saw some red flags in this playoff and I'd rather pay more on confirmation that he's worth paying more for.

Back