• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

This was a pretty tame offseason so far in Leafland.

Is Pizzazz working on a Marner extension, Kampf trade? I'm bored already.

there's no way the Leafs are letting Marner walk for nothing

Might not be up to them.

They forfeited their right to be in the driver’s seat and have a choice in the matter when they didn’t trade him after last season.

Now, if he’s not willing to waive his NMC, their only choices are to give him $100M+ on a new deal or let him walk for nothing.

Might not be up to them.

They forfeited their right to be in the driver’s seat and have a choice in the matter when they didn’t trade him after last season.

Now, if he’s not willing to waive his NMC, their only choices are to give him $100M+ on a new deal or let him walk for nothing.
Paul has got them. Pay up bigly or lose for nothing.

Tanev contract breakdown:

$1m salary in all 6 years

Signing bonuses: $5.0, $4.6, $3.6, $2.6, $2.6, $2.6

I think this ends up making Tanev's contract fairly buyout-proof. Basically any buyout in any year would only reduce the remaining years to a $3.8m caphit, and then a $300k caphit for as many years after as you bought out.

OEL's seems a bit more buyout-friendly, especially if they just buyout that final year - that'll result in a $1.5m caphit in his final year and a $1.0m caphit the following year. Sp basically that final year they gave him to win the bidding war was as team-friendly as possible.

Could Tanev not just retire at 38 after that July signing bonus and have collected 18.8 million of his contract in 3 seasons?

OEL Salary: $1.0, $1.5, $1.5, $3.0
OEL Bonus: $3.5, $2.0, $1.5, $0.0

giphy.gif

Back