• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

One of the talking heads earlier on this week said to trade Marner for Pietreangelo. Vegas doesn't give a F and maybe with their early exit and their signing of hanafin changes their opinion.

I'm not saying anything... just sharing what I heard.

Marner would waive for vegas.

I think Tre is in the exact same spot as he was in calgary. Huberdeau was a bust, but Weegar is still an interesting piece.

If we could get a 2C/3C and a mobile and good defenseman for Marner... I'd take it.

So Pietro and a resigned Carrier or Marchesault plus a pick for Marner wouldn't be too bad of a haul.
get Theodore, not Pietro

Is Jared Spurgeon finished? How about a trade of captains (after July 1)? Minnesota would only pay Tavares 910K for a year and save huge money on Spurgeon long term which would have to be worth a few picks at least. The Leafs could just LTIR Spurgeon, maybe haul his corpse out annually for the playoffs, Vegas style.

Even if not that deal, this seems like a good opportunity for the Leafs to flex some financial muscle, dump Tavares for an LTIR contract and pick up some futures at the same time.

But that is balanced by the fact that he didn't get many minutes for most of the year. Under 14mpg game... Probably too low. Raise those next year and the rate regression is wiped out by the increase in minutes.
plus if he plays with matty you can expect an above average oish%

Is Jared Spurgeon finished? How about a trade of captains (after July 1)? Minnesota would only pay Tavares 910K for a year and save huge money on Spurgeon long term which would have to be worth a few picks at least. The Leafs could just LTIR Spurgeon, maybe haul his corpse out annually for the playoffs, Vegas style.

Even if not that deal, this seems like a good opportunity for the Leafs to flex some financial muscle, dump Tavares for an LTIR contract and pick up some futures at the same time.
?

Unless I'm missing something, Spurgeon suffered an injury last year that took him out for the rest of the season. He's not dead, should be back on the ice next year.

?

Unless I'm missing something, Spurgeon suffered an injury last year that took him out for the rest of the season. He's not dead, should be back on the ice next year.
I don’t know the details except that he’s 34 and had season ending hip surgery followed by back surgery. Not sure what the prognosis is, but it has to be concerning at least.

Anyway my broader point is that there should be a chance for the Leafs to take some LTIR money, maybe dump Tavares at the same time and possibly get something back as well.

think he was largely a product of Slavvin

Yeah, it depends on what you think he is and what you're bringing him in to do. He's a McCabe calibre guy imo. A #4 type guy who with the right guy can play on a shutty pair but probably isn't ideal there.

We need to aim higher imo. If we're stealing someone from Carolina, let's get Skjei, and then we can be a bit picky with the 2nd guy to fill out the top 4. I wouldn't mind if we entered next season with Lilly as the #5 and start grooming him to take more of the offensive & puck moving load. It's where his skill set is best suited imo. I still think there's a high end 2 way guy in there, but with the step back he took late in the year I think patience is the recipe there.

I think that if the destination is right, Marner would go.

LA, Vegas are the top destinations for Marner. I think a deal could be made...

Daneult would be a target as would Theodore in vegas.

Rubarbe just leaked that to squeeeeze more dough form Rogers/Bell

230px-2023-12-17_Eisb%C3%A4ren_Berlin_gegen_Adler_Mannheim_%28Deutsche_Eishockey-Liga_2023-24%29_by_Sandro_Halank%E2%80%93114.jpg

so fucking clean

Back