• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

The idea Marner was going to be 100% (Not sure why) traded really will make people have absolutely no interest in the Leafs this season.

I think it's more that management finally intimated something major was going to change, and then didn't follow through. Marner had come to represent that change for many fans as he's the current scapegoat (of course, the other guys don't really lead either, but they just got new contracts). never mind that unloading the twin droids and their over 18 million in cap makes far more sense.

They didn’t have to trade Marner, but they came out and admitted change was needed and nothing was off the table and they had the least creative, middling offseason they could have had.
They should have just been quiet. A trade wasn't very realistic at all.

OEL+Kampf $5.9

Roy $5.75

i'd be much happier with that reallocation.

with one big caveat - our defense would have a serious, serious lack of skill.

I'm gonna be real angry if it comes out no effort at all was made to dump captain roboto this offseason...

go ahead and start turning green and ripping your shirt, because there wasn't and isn't any such effort

root cause is that Shanahan is still in charge of the team. the only real chance of a trade would have been if Pelley cleaned house.

But they could have easily created cap space to do something more impactful than they did without touching the core.

the whole cap distribution thing is largely a strawman, as popular as it is. the fact is, they have had the cap room to add enough talent, but instead wasted it on the wrong players. spend exactly the same money they've had to spend, except make different decisions, and we're looking at a completely different situation and likely a better one.

Boring and uninspiring offseason is what Kyle had been doing for a few years so it's not quite a departure from that. Neither gm has destroyed the balance sheet but the middling management continues.

they had a chance to make two impact additions this offseason and only made one - and that one is dangerously old.

not awful, but could have been better.

I am interested in OEL though - he might be a complete bum now, and he was probably never the norris caliber guy he was touted as in arizona, but he was still good there, and last year when montour and ekblad were injured for the first two months he was probably legit top-pair quality for that stretch.

Also possible they really wanted to trade either JT or Mitchie and neither one would consider waiting their NMC.

I don't really subscribe to the theory of entering a weeks-long public campaign to tear them down to force them out, may well have caused more trouble than it was worth, likely would have cratered Mitch's value and Tavares is only under contract for 1 more season.

Both Montour and Ekblad missed the first 16gms of the year, returning on November 17.

For those 16gms, OEL played legit top pair minutes.

Forsling: 23:56toi (19:51ev, 1:26pp, 2:38pk)
OEL: 23:51toi (17:54ev, 3:38pp, 2:18pk)

Mikkola: 20:11toi (18:06ev, 0:01pp, 2:05pk)
Kulikov: 19:38toi (17:30ev, 0:03pp, 2:05pk)

Balinskis: 13:59toi (13:32ev, 0:10pp, 0:16pk)
Mahura: 12:29toi (11:58ev, 0:01pp, 0:30pk)

Stats During those 16gms:

Forsling: EV -1.1dzs%, 53.8xgf%, 0.67p1/70, 0.67p/60 --- PK 5.07xga/60, 6.02ga/60 --- PP 8.73xgf/60, 2.23gf/60, 2.58p1/60, 2.58p/60
OEL: EV -3.1dzs%, 54.8xgf%, 0.79p1/60, 1.18p/60 --- PP 5.45xga/6, 5.61ga/60 --- PP 12.44xgf/60, 7.47gf/60, 3.35p1/60, 4.18p/60

Mikkola: EV -0.3dzs%, 54.7xgf%, 0.72p1/60, 1.43p/60 --- PK 7.74xga/60, 11.35ga/60
Kulikov: EV -1.0dzs%, 53.7xgf%, 0.38p1/60, 0.76p/60 --- PK 7.33xga/60, 11.89ga/60

Balinskis: EV +3.2dzs%, 54.4xgf%, 0.32p1/60, 0.64p/60
Mahura: EV +2.8dzs%, 51.5xgf%, 0.32p1/60, 1.58p/60

we don't want him playing that much for us, but there's a solid chance he could be very good in a #4 role - a role he didn't end up staying in florida mostly due to balancing the pairings (i.e putting defensive Mikkola with offensive Montour).

I am interested in OEL though - he might be a complete bum now, and he was probably never the norris caliber guy he was touted as in arizona, but he was still good there, and last year when montour and ekblad were injured for the first two months he was probably legit top-pair quality for that stretch.

never been a fan but I don't see how it's not an upgrade compared to the likes of Benoit Boosh and the washed version of Brodie we watched fall off a cliff last season

It's certainly a positive that, unlike last year, Tre didn't sign the worst forward and worst defenseman in the NHL for real money.

He exceeded my expectations this summer in the same way that Kamala exceeded my expectations listening to her speak after listening to Biden for the last 12 months.

Back