• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

And stuff like this is why, despite the salary cap, there is still no real parity in the NHL. You have a few organizations lapping the field because of the processes that they put in place. Most teams are still stuck in the stone ages. Leafs would be at the back of the pack if they didn't luck into their super elite core.

Marner for Forsberg and Saros. Word is Askarov era starting soon.

Contract certainty versus expiring contact. Bigly reputation versus damaged reputation. Even with the pure talent gap, I wouldn’t trade Forsberg for Marner straight up if I’m Nashville.

But Saros will likely be available, so that is someone TML should look at in addition to Markstrom.

Last edited:
Contract certainty versus expiring contact. Bigly reputation versus damaged reputation. Even with the pure talent gap, I wouldn’t trade Forsberg for Marner straight up if I’m Nashville.

But Saros will likely be available, so that someone TML should look at in addition to Markstrom.
Gretzky was traded

Leafs have the assets to make it work, even money. They can retain 50% of the last of Marner's contract to compensate the difference on a new one.

Didn't have the balls to stick to the plan. A couple of bad playoff results and they just fell into the same trap they all do. So disappointing.

Yup. Were ahead of the curve when the reason for hiring Kyle was that he pioneered the use of data in the OHL. Tried to rush the process by adding big money veterans and then blinked hard when it didn't work by the time the kids we 22 fucking years old and went progressively more gud pro.

Yup. Were ahead of the curve when the reason for hiring Kyle was that he pioneered the use of data in the OHL. Tried to rush the process by adding big money veterans and then blinked hard when it didn't work by the time the kids we 22 fucking years old and went progressively more gud pro.
Yeah. Even Pre-FakeNerd they were talking about exploiting market inefficiencies (Russians) and building the team through the Marlies. Instead they wasted cap on gudpros and didn't give their kids a chance. Just brutal.

Jarnkrok now at a 4 goal 82 game pace in his 93 game playoff career. A cool 4x worse than his regular season production. That is special.

Jarnkrok now at a 4 goal 82 game pace in his 93 game playoff career. A cool 4x worse than his regular season production. That is special.

I didn’t even realize he’d gone a perfect 7 games & 0 points this year. He truly is a peak performer when it comes to staying off the scoresheet in the playoffs.

Still absolutely blows my mind that both last summer and at the deadline, we made a conscious decision to continue dedicating a spot in the lineup and $2.1M in cap space to him.

I didn’t even realize he’d gone a perfect 7 games & 0 points this year. He truly is a peak performer when it comes to staying off the scoresheet in the playoffs.

Still absolutely blows my mind that both last summer and at the deadline, we made a conscious decision to continue dedicating a spot in the lineup and $2.1M in cap space to him.
its even worse when you add in kampf and reeves. over 6m per on that rather then giving kids a shot and actually improving the blueline

Kind of funny how I’m feeling about all this. Both in the immediate aftermath of the loss last night & today.

Unlike past years when I’ve been either extremely disappointed or apoplectic with rage, I’m feeling almost totally unbothered today.

I guess at this point the Leafs losing a first round game seven has just become part of the regular rhythm of the changing of the seasons, and I never truly expected a different result, so it’s hard to be angry or disappointed.

At the end of the day, even if you want guys li Kampf and Krok on your team for some reason, you shouldn’t have to pay them $4.5 mill a year for 4 years.

Back