• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Elliotte said 3 things yesterday;
1. They were meeting Wednesday to make decision
2. Berube
3. Just because all 3 names are on Fridays news conference doesn’t mean they will all be there

1 for 3 so far. Shanny may still go.
I can see a scenario where Shanny was given the dignity of resigning on his terms at the presser, but also passing the torch to Treliving, which is bad.

I can see a scenario where Shanny was given the dignity of resigning on his terms at the presser, but also passing the torch to Treliving, which is bad.
Is it though? Wasn't Treliving born to get paid to do nothing? He might excel.

still think our guys would actually perform better without any coaching. and like you said, let Willy run it. dual threat. remember him and Matty on the PP earlier in their career? they anchored a unit without Marner and were fucking great.

let the talented players do their think. stop overthinking it.

and goddamn it have more than a single fucking entry play. jesus h. christ.
Yeah plenty of things can be improved with the coaching. The best powerplays are unpredictable, fluid, unstructured and just let the talent take the wheel and shine. I've theorized on the reasons why they get shut down every year late season/playoffs but ultimately it's the job of the players to adapt to what the other teams do as much as it is on the coach. And they simply haven't been able to do it. Now heading into their 4th powerplay coach, all with the same results so far.

And I mean maybe it really is as simple as getting some elite two way pp qb d. I don't know. But I can't say it's 100% coaching right now. I did in the past but not anymore... Body of evidence is piling up.

I assume if he's promoted he does actual things, which could be dangerous.
President is mostly PR work in organizations. Don't know about the Leafs but they don't really get into hockey ops unless there is asset movement involved.

There's no Giroux. There's Marner who only looks pass, Matthews who only looks shot. Rielly who only looks pass. Maybe they need to run things through Willy and not Mitch. I don't know what the issue is but when you get shut down every single playoff after 3 powerplay coaches, it just tells me that the players are likely too predictable. This doesn't happen with other elite teams. It's not black or white of course... Guy Boucher obviously had no fucking idea how to coach a powerplay too.

Consistently elite powerplay players are typically dual threats because it removes a shit ton of predictability and makes the series pre scout far more challenging. So yeah a lot of it is coaching but things are rarely only one or the other in life. 3 pp coaches later and it's obviously a little of column A and a little of column B.
They didn’t run anything through Marner this year outside of the zone entry.

They didn’t run anything through Marner this year outside of the zone entry.
Again, we can all have our theories. I'm just looking at the body of evidence piling up that suggests extremely tiny odds that this is solely a coaching thing. I think that's a wild opinion and I'm surprised that some still believe it.

Again, we can all have our theories. I'm just looking at the body of evidence piling up that suggests extremely tiny odds that this is solely a coaching thing. I think that's a wild opinion and I'm surprised that some still believe it.

Same guys apparently didn't have the same annual breakdown under Babcock though...I don't know how wild of an opinion it is tbh.

Same guys apparently didn't have the same annual breakdown under Babcock though...I don't know how wild of an opinion it is tbh.
There is a world where Mitch Marner is a well adjusted human being, charming, and one of the 5 best players in the league.

Mike Babcock probably destroyed that ( and also Paul Marner)

Back