• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

He's a slightly less cunt version of you, but with a superstar hockey son

Also, well deduced, dipshit.
Aww, still sour, are we?

At the risk of coming off as cliché, don't shoot the messenger. I foretold all of this long ago and told you how to fix it and you didn't want to listen to sense then either. In fact, I've told you for 7 years that you'll never win with these 4 playoff clowns eating up half your cap and you refused to acknowledge this reality despite yearly and repeated evidence of its soundness. So now you are where you are, in a world of progressively shitty options. Well, enjoy it. You've earned it. But if you're looking for someone to blame for it, don't look at me because I tried to warn you. As Marc Bergevin once said "De h'answers are in da room!"

You fired Keefe. That's a good first step but you and I both know that the coach is merely a symptom of a greater organizational malaise. Unless or until Shanahan is fired the healing cannot begin. He's had his eponymous plan in effect for a decade now, and every spring some first round opponent exposes that plan as nothing more than a fraudulent pile of dog shit. The second this team lost to the Habs in 2021 is when the entire front office and coaching staff should have been fired into the sun and the core 4 busted up for keeps. But no one in charge had the courage or the sense to make the difficult choices needed so this shit has continued for 3 more seasons and for no good reason. Now, instead of a controlled burn, MLSE is reacting to events and things are spiraling out of their control as they try to deal with multiple brush fires that could, with a stiff wind, become a conflagration that incinerates the franchise.

So I do understand where the bitterness comes from, even if I think your anger is misdirected. You do indeed have good reason to still be sour because this is going to get much worse before it gets better...if it gets better.

And don't worry. I still consider you a friend. I mean, not like LOF but still, a friend. :)

Really tho?

Have we ever actually over achieved in any facet of the game since he was hired? I see a lot of coaches out there who squeeze pretty good results out of pretty mediocre rosters. I mean, just Evason for example. Does that really look like a 105-110 point roster he had to work with?

Meh. Goalie has nothing to do with PP that can’t score, or not being able to find an answer to the oppositions D zone structure.

Scoring more would actually help the goalie situation and Keefe could never find answers for what the opposition threw at him.
Clearly you haven't seen Sammy in action. Lucky man!!

Just a quick comparison:

21-23

Minnesota: 134-63-23/ 109 points per 82
Toronto: 139-56-25/ 113 points per 82

Did we really only have a roster ~4 points better per 82 than:

Kaprizov-Eriksson Ek-Fiala
Zuccarello-Gaudreau-Hartman
Foligno-Rask-Greenway

Brodin-Dumba
Goligoski-Spurgeon

Talbot/Kahkonen/Fleury

Something that might benefit us re: Berube is that Toronto must have a reputation as a coach killing city by now. Our last 2 took the jobs out of desperation (Keefe had no other avenues to a NHL job, ever) and hubris (Babcock's a pretty classic narcissist). Randy had to go back to Anaheim because no one else would hire him and we ended Ron Wilson's career.

Someone has to want to stand in the middle of this shit cyclone, and not everyone is cut out for it. Fuck, in the modern media age no one might be cut out for it.
Then its Trump for coach!!
Aww, still sour, are we?

At the risk of coming off as cliché, don't shoot the messenger. I foretold all of this long ago and told you how to fix it and you didn't want to listen to sense then either. In fact, I've told you for 7 years that you'll never win with these 4 playoff clowns eating up half your cap and you refused to acknowledge this reality despite yearly and repeated evidence of its soundness. So now you are where you are, in a world of progressively shitty options. Well, enjoy it. You've earned it. But if you're looking for someone to blame for it, don't look at me because I tried to warn you. As Marc Bergevin once said "De h'answers are in da room!"

You fired Keefe. That's a good first step but you and I both know that the coach is merely a symptom of a greater organizational malaise. Unless or until Shanahan is fired the healing cannot begin. He's had his eponymous plan in effect for a decade now, and every spring some first round opponent exposes that plan as nothing more than a fraudulent pile of dog shit. The second this team lost to the Habs in 2021 is when the entire front office and coaching staff should have been fired into the sun and the core 4 busted up for keeps. But no one in charge had the courage or the sense to make the difficult choices needed so this shit has continued for 3 more seasons and for no good reason. Now, instead of a controlled burn, MLSE is reacting to events and things are spiraling out of their control as they try to deal with multiple brush fires that could, with a stiff wind, become a conflagration that incinerates the franchise.

So I do understand where the bitterness comes from, even if I think your anger is misdirected. You do indeed have good reason to still be sour because this is going to get much worse before it gets better...if it gets better.

And don't worry. I still consider you a friend. I mean, not like LOF but still, a friend. :)
The main reason nothing changed is because with the Leafs the money just keeps rolling in no matter what they do.

Back