• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

No one ever argued otherwise, that Keefe was directly making trades. As I said, I don't think Keefe got much say on the upper half of the roster, which usually had a lot of skill.

But to think that we had two successive idiot GMs who fell in love with Kampf doesn't make sense. There's a common thread there.
Yeah the president and the coach. They were obviously aligned! Otherwise Keefe woulda been gone long ago. And/or they wouldn't have allowed him to be secret gm this entire time.

I think it was a shitty reflex hire of the most experienced GM available at the time, and not necessarily a full throated endorsement of his ability and hockey philosophies. Shanny wasn't planning on firing Dubas if you remember.

fwiw, Treliving didn't prioritize pluggy defenders in Calgary. He's the one who added Hamilton, turned Hamilton into Hanifin, drafted and developed Rasmus Andersson & Kylington, added Weegar, etc. Zadorov (who is way better than the plugs we added) is the only monster he added to his blueline.
which lends credence to the idea that Shanny is the plug master

ehhh....or Sheldon is and everyone just plays their organizational roles like I've been suggesting.
yes, the coach of the team dictates how the GM and president do their jobs.

again, even if we accept that theory, it's just as clownshoes as the alternative. almost as literal an example of the 'tail wagging the dog' as you'll find.

I mean, I've been saying this since before it was cool. I've just never subscribed to the "Shanahan is dictating all hockey moves" side of it. Roles are generally pretty defined with certain points of overlap. President's don't run the day to day, but get involved for large moves (senior hockey role hiring/firing, trading for or trading away core type players, setting budgets for key non executive roles, etc). GM's build rosters but don't decide who plays where, with who, using what system, etc. Coaches don't build rosters but have input on what type of players they want for what roles, who plays how much, with who, using what style of hockey and system, the asscoaches he wants, etc.

There's enough room for incompetent overlap for shit like "well then Keefe has been the real GM all along...." to be flat out crazy.
Hey...you got post #1000 congrats...as a reward you get to pick our next coach!!

yes, the coach of the team dictates how the GM and president do their jobs.

again, even if we accept that theory, it's just as clownshoes as the alternative. almost as literal an example of the 'tail wagging the dog' as you'll find.
And the "but other teams do it" philosophy doesn't work for me either. In Colorado the analytics approach starts at the top. And the coach has embraced it entirely and uses them in every decision he makes. Organizational buy-in from top to bottom.

So either the Leafs have that buy-in and their philosophy is dumb and shit. Or they don't and they kept Keefe for years knowing that they don't really believe in what he does and would LOVE to go full nerdies. Both are amateur hour and inexcusable.

View: https://x.com/nickdesouza_/status/1788584551104524327?s=46

Saw this and I think it does perfectly exemplify a big problem of Keefe, but not the one suggested.

The implication is that the Leafs still can’t score dirty playoff goals, but that is complete BS. keefe turned them into a team that could only score dirty playoff goals. They led the league in scoring chances off the cycle, rebounds etc.

Meanwhile they were one of the worst teams in the league at generating offense off the rush. I read a stat the other day that 50% of playoff goals are scored off the rush.

He turned them into a one dimensional offense, because he coached the team to his perception of playoff hockey and ignored the analytics.

Back