• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

If I'm spitballing functioning backbones of deals though...

Mitch + Jarnkrok for Barzal + Pelech/Pulock
Mitch for Fiala + Anderson/re signed Matt Roy
Extended Mitch for Kirill Kaprizov
Mitch for Shea Theodore + Hertl
Mitch for Nicushkin + Girard
Mitch for Jason Robertson
Mitch for Lafreniere + Miller + Goodrow
Mitch for Seider

Saros is an add on not the key piece in a deal for Marner. Question is what else would they want for Forsberg and Saros?

Saros is something you circle around on and get for a 1st or similar valye in a separate deal on imo. Or better yet, clear cap space and get Ullmark for less. Boston is about to pay Swayman, and they need Ullmark's money to do it with.. I'm entirely good with Ullmark-Woll are our tandem next year with the big Viking as the Marlies starter and #3.

Jarnkrok has to be involved in every trade with Mitch... To uhhh... Bolster the package.

Honestly, I think we could move him on his own if we were looking to take on a someone with a shorter, less than perfect deal. For example, Yanni Gourde at 5.16 million x 1 as our 3C.

Honestly, I think we could move him on his own if we were looking to take on a someone with a shorter, less than perfect deal. For example, Yanni Gourde at 5.16 million x 1 as our 3C.
Yeah he has value and is contract isn't half bad. Useful player in the regular season, though he may be busted at 33 years old next season and after a clear mini step down this year in production. 2 years left at a non crippling AAV.. but you're not getting the best Calle Jarnkrok in those years. And come playoff time I don't even want the best Calle Jarnkrok. So he can go. Please.

i wonder if you could add in Reilly and Josi somehow into a deal like that

Dunno why you would want to. We shouldn't be placing outsized value on guys who are in their mid 30's in any off season deal. We see what those guys go for if you're patient and wait for the deadline. Ekholm, Lindholm, Hanifin. Just wait, spend your 1st + stuff at the deadline and pay the guys asking price on an extension.

Maybe available this upcoming deadline?

Hedman, Burns, Ekblad, Lindell, Pettersson, Larsson, Slavin. Will all of them be there? Of course not. But at least one will be and sometimes it's a surprising name.

Great free agent period for the type of defenders we're looking for coming up, and good trade assets this summer to reshape the roster with if we choose to (we should choose to).

If I'm spitballing functioning backbones of deals though...

Mitch + Jarnkrok for Barzal + Pelech/Pulock
Mitch for Fiala + Anderson/re signed Matt Roy
Extended Mitch for Kirill Kaprizov
Mitch for Shea Theodore + Hertl
Mitch for Nicushkin + Girard
Mitch for Jason Robertson
Mitch for Lafreniere + Miller + Goodrow
Mitch for Seider

yeah on paper at least a number of those would be good

that Mitch for Kaprizov one I think is the best one...that would give us 3 40+ goal scorers. Kaprizov has also scored in the playoffs and has 2 years left at 9m caphit.

yeah on paper at least a number of those would be good

that Mitch for Kaprizov one I think is the best one...that would give us 3 40+ goal scorers. Kaprizov has also scored in the playoffs and has 2 years left at 9m caphit.

Yeah, probably only works if Kaprizov has indicated that he's not super into extending or we throw in a solid sweetener.

But that's the type of stuff we should be aiming for imo. You're probably not going to get a "mitch replacement" for Mitch. But you can get a guy who is 80-90% of Mitch and then another good piece, both in their primes.

Josi gets tough usage and has good D numbers.

I think you’d be hard pressed to find a Marner trade that improves the Leafs more than adding Josi. I doubt you’d get Heiskanen, Hughes, Fox, Makar for him.

And the Leafs window is now. The ducks adding early-mid 30s Nieds and Pronger worked out fine.

Josi gets tough usage

Does he actually though?

5th in defensive zone faceoffs, and 6th in defensive zone starts among Nashville defenders during the playoffs. Similarish zone start usage to Rielly here.

I don't disagree about the Leafs window being now. But I don't think a Rielly upgrade is the play here, and that's all I think Josi is.

Marner's value is at its lowest ever right now, and he's for sure perceived to be on the block.

I don't see how we'd get prime Marner trade returns on the heels of a poop Marner year where he's getting murdered in the media.

Marner's value is at its lowest ever right now, and he's for sure perceived to be on the block.

I don't see how we'd get prime Marner trade returns on the heels of a poop Marner year where he's getting murdered in the media.
There is some truth to this but, i still dont know how a Marner deal differs too much from an Eichel deal.

Eichel and a 3 fetched Tuck, Krebs a 1 and a 2

I guess Marner could get a bit more, but i think that framework is about right

I mean, yes. But also no.

There are going to be enough teams interested that it will likely keep his value pretty high. You have to remember that about 2/3rds of the league enters the season with making the playoffs as their goal and a player like Marner makes that a lot easier. He's also a face and a name that helps sell seasons tickets and luxury boxes in a lot of markets. He's a luxury that we take for granted in some ways because it's Toronto and our hockey team doesn't have to fight for attention and entertainment dollars.

His value before was the same we perceive a lot of elite guys in their mid 20's: "want him, you're going to have to blow your brains out". His value has dropped, but that's what makes an actual hockey trade possible where a team can exchange equivalent on ice value for him and get him.

There is some truth to this but, i still dont know how a Marner deal differs too much from an Eichel deal.

Eichel and a 3 fetched Tuck, Krebs a 1 and a 2

I guess Marner could get a bit more, but i think that framework is about right

Eichel literally had a broken neck and insisted on doing a controversial/uninsured/new surgery to fix it.

Back