• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

I don’t think it’s nearly as hard to trade a guy like Marner and get value as people are pretending. He’s awesome and it’s hard to get players like that in their prime.

Just gotta find the right team that has a lot of D but needs a forward like the Byram/Middlestat trade. Is Carolina going to resign Slavin. Would Buffalo trade Power? Would Anaheim move Minunyuk or Zellweger? Teams will want Marner.

And if that trade isn’t there then you keep him. I don’t really see any other choice.
Mintyukov is definitely someone to target along with another decent piece out of Anaheim. Power is pretty interesting as well.

Love the suggestion of Seider+ too but I think Detroit is pretty enamoured with him, not sure they'll be willing to trade him.

Gotta re sign him at that point and just change the DNA of the group to be faster, possession centric, etc. Fwiw, I don't think after this playoff flop he's going to be pointing at Auston money. I'd look to call his bluff and walk him to free agency with a Willy-ish offer open to him.

There's levels to this shit and Auston is on another level and frankly, we saw this year that Willy is on his level.

So yeah, my order of operations is:

1) trade him in a legit hockey trade for something resembling good value for a 90-100 point RW
2) Offer him for a Willy-ish extension
3) trade him for a decent, but not ideal package if it suits the right needs (Think Danault + Anderson from LAK, Sorokin + from NYI, etc)
4) Call his contract bluff and enter the season with him on his last year, with the Willyish deal an open offer and walk him to UFA.
5) Go to UFA with him at the same money (8 x ~11.75) and if someone wants to go 7 x 14 or something loony, enjoy Utah or NYI, or wherever the fuck.
Yeah, that’s the other thing - he better not think he’s getting better than the Willy deal with this poor season and playoff flop while Willy scored a bunch.

Lilly is a just turned 25 yr old 2 way RHD just entering the years where most high end defenders become high end defenders. GIving up on him because he was shit down the stretch and in the playoffs would be dumb as fuck. If those are the type of moves we're making, we're fucked anyway.
If this regime stays in place, unless the new coach really takes a stand for Lilly, he's gone, and yes, i think this group is dumb as fuck.

Having Knies, Robertson, Minten, and Cowan all emerge would make losing Marner much less painful.

But we don’t know how many of those guys will be able to put up points. Deleting 100 points from the roster isn’t something we won’t feel, and who knows how much worse it’ll be in the playoffs.
I'm not particularly concerned about losing that offense. Building a 2 way d corps with actual offensive ability would improve them offensively come playoff time, not worsen. Tough to do with without using Mitch as a trade chip and/or shedding his and JTs salary.

But also, the Marner trade talk is a waste of keystrokes. He will never accept a trade out of Toronto. He’ll play a game of chicken to UFA and get the best contract he can after whatever he does next year. He will block all attempts and frankly it might be one of those best trades we didn’t make because we need to see him play under a new coach.

Having Knies, Robertson, Minten, and Cowan all emerge would make losing Marner much less painful.

But we don’t know how many of those guys will be able to put up points. Deleting 100 points from the roster isn’t something we won’t feel, and who knows how much worse it’ll be in the playoffs.

Honestly, we had the 6th and 10th highest point getters in the league. If we turned Mitch into something like (for argument sakes) Seider + Compher (really solid matchup C), I don't think we're out that much raw offence when you consider the improvement to scoring from the blueline and 3rd line.

All I know is it's a tough gig to be gm of the Leafs right now. Not sure even I would want to do it. Miss on a Marner trade and that's arguably the end of the Matthews window.

With that said I'm very comforted that the son of the dude who owns Boston Pizza is in charge. They're in good hands.

But also, the Marner trade talk is a waste of keystrokes. He will never accept a trade out of Toronto. He’ll play a game of chicken to UFA and get the best contract he can after whatever he does next year. He will block all attempts and frankly it might be one of those best trades we didn’t make because we need to see him play under a new coach.
He's played under two coaches already, and is a soft little bitch. That probably doesn't change.

I also suspect at his core he's a coward and has had enough of the criticism he gets.

we need to see him play under a new coach.

Listen, I dislike Sheldon as much as anyone here and have been calling for his head for about 2 yrs now. But he's not the reason Mitch doesn't take the puck into the dirty areas in the playoffs. Mitch needs space to work in and there's no space in the playoffs.

All I know is it's a tough gig to be gm of the Leafs right now. Not sure even I would want to do it. Miss on a Marner trade and that's arguably the end of the Matthews window.

With that said I'm very comforted that the son of the dude who owns Boston Pizza is in charge. They're in good hands.
Boston Pizza and Mr Lube.

Nah the NMC is 0 concern. He'll have his preferences but he'll obviously agree to get traded especially if it comes attached with a fresh 8 year deal. Duh.

Its entirely possible Mitch starting his career under Mike Babcock and the bully-terrorism he encountered has ruined him for life. I just don't know if you can de-bitch a kid like that.

Nah the NMC is 0 concern. He'll have his preferences but he'll obviously agree to get traded especially if it comes attached with a fresh 8 year deal. Duh.
There are certain places that would be non starters.

Paul Marner, the Paul Marner....no son of his is signing an 8 year deal with the Sabres.

If this regime stays in place, unless the new coach really takes a stand for Lilly, he's gone, and yes, i think this group is dumb as fuck.

Nah, I think the coach is the biggest issue with Lilly's spot. Most GM's aren't in a hurry to trade young, effective RHD because they had a bad playoff. There's more than enough heavy lifting to do on this roster without worrying about replacing Lilly on the right side. If Lilly goes, it's part of a larger trade where we're getting higher higher end replacements back. Along the lines of my Marner for Seider deal, but expanded to include other significant pieces from the Detroit side.

Back