• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

Covid restrictions will definitely ensure the tank will extend firmly into next year….which is awesome in case Geoff gets cold feet

A little tidbit from The Athletic

“I’ve already had conversations with some clients who are telling me the exact same thing; if I become a free agent this summer and it’s Montreal or one of those teams, we don’t even talk to them,” the agent told us. “Those with a wife and children, it’s difficult for them to go to school, they can’t leave the house, there are no fans in the stands … For the Canadiens, the practice rink was closed. Everyone sees what is going on and asks themselves if we get another variant next season, will it be the same thing all over again? I don’t think players want to go through that again.”

Perfect. Sign no one but Bedard or Michkov to an entry level deal then

Covid restrictions will definitely ensure the tank will extend firmly into next year….which is awesome in case Geoff gets cold feet

“I’ve already had conversations with some clients who are telling me the exact same thing; if I become a free agent this summer and it’s Montreal or one of those teams, we don’t even talk to them,” the agent told us. “Those with a wife and children, it’s difficult for them to go to school, they can’t leave the house, there are no fans in the stands … For the Canadiens, the practice rink was closed. Everyone sees what is going on and asks themselves if we get another variant next season, will it be the same thing all over again? I don’t think players want to go through that again.”
If the USA teams get spending freezes again , players will do what Hoffman and TT did with us

Oh shit the Habs offered 2 more years and I am not getting any younger , where do I sign

UFA is typically a disaster , in a normal world only slugs chose us as a last resort

Gorton should go fishing for a month and only pick up fillers on the cheap to fill the roster

Yup, sounds good to me.

Get rid of as many contracts as you can this season & off-season, then sign one or two year UFAs with a large signing bonus that could possibly get traded mid-season to a willing team.

What happens if they’re not married w children and have a boatload of $ thrown at them - Kadri & Klingberg ?

It's a shit draft anyway. The #1 overall pick is projected to be a solid 2nd line center, big whoppity-woo.
For that reason, I would trade the 1st rounder for either a young recently drafted player (Lafreniere) or part of a package for an Elias Petersson, assuming of course that Van & NYR are willing to

BTW - Gord Miller was saying yesterday scouts have been telling him in the next two drafts there are no NHL ready talents ready to step in as 18-year olds and make a difference

It's a shit draft anyway. The #1 overall pick is projected to be a solid 2nd line center, big whoppity-woo.

I can players emerging who will be front liners

Very few drafts give you a CMD or a Matthews plug and play star

We need talent in the worst way , stay the course

For that reason, I would trade the 1st rounder for either a young recently drafted player (Lafreniere) or part of a package for an Elias Petersson, assuming of course that Van & NYR are willing to

BTW - Gord Miller was saying yesterday scouts have been telling him in the next two drafts there are no NHL ready talents ready to step in as 18-year olds and make a difference

I would kill for Bedard. But no one this year is especially exciting, I would still keep the pick unless we can use it to find a legit 1st line center or defensemen.

I can players emerging who will be front liners

Very few drafts give you a CMD or a Matthews plug and play star

We need talent in the worst way , stay the course

We should use that pick to get the best talent available, but that could also mean trading it.

No way to Lafreniere , its only to appease the media but he will get crucified

EP is 18 months away from 9-10 mil to retain , hell no in our state of the union look

We need to walk first , forget trying to run with no shoes

Team is too far in the shitter right now for more patch work

If we land #1 only deal I would consider is a team willing to keep us in the top 5 and young assets come our way

I probably still take Wright. Elite second line centers aren't easier to find.

Just because we still need an elite #1 doesn't mean we can't stock the team.

Exactly , what we may not get in a 1C , having 2 solid 2C`s is better than what many teams have

Back