• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

Kinda cool to see that Caufield is trying out some French. Personally I don't have any issues at all if the guys aren't comfortable with, or just can't be bothered to learn another language... but it is a nice touch when they do try a bit.

Kinda cool to see that Caufield is trying out some French. Personally I don't have any issues at all if the guys aren't comfortable with, or just can't be bothered to learn another language... but it is a nice touch when they do try a bit.

They should at least learn basic French for media stuff

That's the type of shit that makes Montreal a less desirable destination for players. Not only do I have to work my ass off every day... but now I have to learn a second language? Nah.

It's great if a player wants to... but it shouldn't be expected.

That's the type of shit that makes Montreal a less desirable destination for players. Not only do I have to work my ass off every day... but now I have to learn a second language? Nah.

It great if a player wants to... but it shouldn't be expected.
younger unmarried players have a lot of idle time, enough to learn another language, but of course video games are more appealing.

It's great if a player wants to... but it shouldn't be expected.

Not expecting a player to write a novel

Basic stuff isnt too much to ask

Yes, it actually is. If the player wants to learn some French, that's fine, obviously, but asking him too is just dumb and will only negatively impact our ability to sign UFA's. They are there to play hockey, that's it.

Last edited:

It doesn't even need to be basic, just common courtesy. For instance, when a player sits for an interview with a Francophone reporter, the least he can do, the absolute barest of bare minimums that he can do is greet the reporter with a "Bonjour" and say "Merci beaucoup" at the end. If a player learns not a single other word of French during their time in Montreal, I don't think it's asking a whole lot for them to at least say "hello", "goodbye", "please", and "thank you" en francais.

It doesn't even need to be basic, just common courtesy. For instance, when a player sits for an interview with a Francophone reporter, the least he can do, the absolute barest of bare minimums that he can do is greet the reporter with a "Bonjour" and say "Merci beaucoup" at the end. If a player learns not a single other word of French during their time in Montreal, I don't think it's asking a whole lot for them to at least say "hello", "goodbye", "please", and "thank you" en francais.
You're using old school mentality. Montreal has changed from the 70s and 80s dude. You keep worrying what Jean from Riviere-de-loup thinks. Well Jean just rolls his eyes at the bare minimum.

Point? Its irrelevant at this point.

You're using old school mentality. Montreal has changed from the 70s and 80s dude. You keep worrying what Jean from Riviere-de-loup thinks. Well Jean just rolls his eyes at the bare minimum.

Point? Its irrelevant at this point.
Absolutely. Also, what the "bare minimum" is is completely subjective, and the goalposts will keep getting moved. Do you think a lot PSG fans care if Neymar says "bonjour" to them? I doubt it. They care goals and PSG wins, not irrelevant virtue signaling.

It has to come from the player...like Gary Carter (Expos) who was an extrovert who loved the extra adulation and endorsement opportunities

Most hockey players struggle to be articulate in English, to be honest. but eventually one of these guys will be able to satisfy the hundreds of fans who still care

I expect "Bonjour", "Merci", "S'il vous plait" as the bare minimum for everyone living in and even just visiting Montreal. Hockey players are no exception. I expect the same minimum for anyone in any country to be able to say those 3 things in the local language. I most certainly do so when I travel. I think it's a matter of respect.

I expect "Bonjour", "Merci", "S'il vous plait" as the bare minimum for everyone living in and even just visiting Montreal. Hockey players are no exception. I expect the same minimum for anyone in any country to be able to say those 3 things in the local language. I most certainly do so when I travel. I think it's a matter of respect.

I expect the first overall pick next week

but then they start speaking french to me and i have to remind them that this is canada and in canada we speak canadian!

Back