• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

i am always nervous about speaking a different language - i always feel like i am butchering it and they hate me for it

so i get why some people in the spotlight do not do it

You're right, Wazoo is demanding unreasonnable things here. Who the fuck has time to learn 3 words?
I learned the whole language bub. Just like you learned English. Don't come at me like that and I've long been serious about respect for French Canada.

The truth is the country is bilingual and yes, being so everyone should know basic terms IN BOTH. I can assure you that's not the case.

This was also a major factor in me leaving Canada, so tired of the language fighting bullshit, from both sides, so I decided not to deal with it.

i am always nervous about speaking a different language - i always feel like i am butchering it and they hate me for it

so i get why some people in the spotlight do not do it
Ironically most appreciate the attempt and will speak Franglais with you. Most anyway. Always people with chips on shoulders.

Irrelevant, the focus being on local language, not country, especially when it's known how much the locals value their language. Nobody is asking you to speak French to a native Anglophone.
Not disagreeing there, I just think it's a small thing. Micro aggression perception is incorrect but abundant.

Go to Miami, mostly Spanish, they're not dicks about it.

Do you think the Panther players say anything in Spanish? Nope. Only time it ever happened was with players that actually spoke Spanish prior to arriving.

Ironically most appreciate the attempt and will speak Franglais with you. Most anyway. Always people with chips on shoulders.
i know and I do sometimes but my brain doesn't like it
being an introvert doesnt help either

oh and I was speaking of any language
- in germany everybody that saw my last name just starting speaking german to me and the horrible way i said "i do not speak german" in german made me cringe

i know and I do sometimes but my brain doesn't like it
being an introvert doesnt help either

oh and I was speaking of any language
- in germany everybody that saw my last name just starting speaking german to me and the horrible way i said "i do not speak german" in german made me cringe
That happened to me in Croatia. Luckily I know enough but not nearly to be speaking like a native. Deer in headlights once they get past the initial niceties.

I learned the whole language bub. Just like you learned English. Don't come at me like that and I've long been serious about respect for French Canada.

The truth is the country is bilingual and yes, being so everyone should know basic terms IN BOTH. I can assure you that's not the case.

This was also a major factor in me leaving Canada, so tired of the language fighting bullshit, from both sides, so I decided not to deal with it.
Hey, I'm coming at your devil's advocate take.

What irks me is the word "argument" in your post. There's nothing to argue, it takes 5 seconds to learn to say merci, and most players do, and locals like the nod to their culture. Why does it have to be an argument? It's nothing.

We're not asking them to be fluent in 4 languages like european soccer players.

Though, I have to admit I really respected Brian Savage for trying, boy did he work hard on his french you could tell.

What irks me is the word "argument" in your post. There's nothing to argue, it takes 5 seconds to learn to say merci, and most players do, and locals like the nod to their culture. Why does it have to be an argument? It's nothing.

Though, I have to admit I really respected Brian Savage for trying, boy did he work hard on his french you could tell.
well he had november through april off

Listen man, people like you, me and most of the other Quebecois (yes I always considered myself one, it is my childhood home and memories afterall) that went for good careers learned both. It's a no-brainer. What I'm saying is that expecting kids, yes kids, to think on this level especially not really attending school is a little much. Athletes are knuckleheads for the most part.

These are the petty issues I grew up with and I find it so not worth getting aggravated over. It's a communication medium, not who you are. I just have a different outlook on life. I don't need people to be like me or agree with me. I posit my opinion on matters and live by it.

A smile is a smile. A hug a hug, a handshake a handshake and respect is respect. Language is nothing but words to communicate, one is not better than the other if the communication is successful.

i miss traveling though

stupid covid
I just went to Asia for 3 weeks dude. No issues. I know you're in a different position with the little one but adults can travel if they're not idiots about masks, vax etc.

Not disagreeing there, I just think it's a small thing. Micro aggression perception is incorrect but abundant.

Go to Miami, mostly Spanish, they're not dicks about it.

Do you think the Panther players say anything in Spanish? Nope. Only time it ever happened was with players that actually spoke Spanish prior to arriving.

If I'm talking to a Spanish-speaking person, I will say my "Gracias", "Per favor", "Hola", etc.

I'm not gonna lie, I think less of a person that doesn't even bother learning those 3 words when traveling to a place that speaks a different language. I'm not going to be offended or be a dick about it, but it doesn't make the best first impression.

Lots of bullshit from both sides no doubt. I certainly don't agree or support everything Quebec is doing in that regards, quite the opposite.

I think it boils down to a root belief of mine and that is

With expectations come disappointments. Great or not. I stopped expecting things out of people. That includes what language they know or don't.

I think it boils down to a root belief of mine and that is

With expectations come disappointments. Great or not. I stopped expecting things out of people. That includes what language they know or don't.

I'm not expecting anything of people I don't know (and even then), but I will still form an opinion about them based on what they do or don't.

I'm not expecting anything of people I don't know (and even then), but I will still form an opinion about them based on what they do or don't.
Sure. I've learned that the initial opinion is rarely the correct one though. Too many variables right down to the day the person is having. I've been much happier this way.

Back