• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

Holy fuck. Just wow.

Mental health issues are very very real. In fact you should look into that.
He doesn't have a mental health issue, he has an addiction issue. I fail to see how attending a league-mandated 28 day rehab program qualifies him for an award, especially one that is traditionally given to a player who makes a comeback. Price's 5 game comeback was a farce. He isn't back. He's essentially gone and if he didn't have 10.5 million reasons not to, he'd have retired already.

no judgement in that statement!!
Not judgement, a simple recitation of the facts. If you think that attending a mandatory 28 day rehab program means that he's made a comeback you don't know much about addiction. Price isn't nearly out of the woods yet and he's still injured and mostly unable to play, despite the 5 game charade at the end of the season. If Price wins it it's a slap in the face to the deserving Masterton winners like Saku Koivu.

Not judgement, a simple recitation of the facts. If you think that attending a mandatory 28 day rehab program means that he's made a comeback you don't know much about addiction. Price isn't nearly out of the woods yet and he's still injured and mostly unable to play, despite the 5 game charade at the end of the season. If Price wins it it's a slap in the face to the deserving Masterton winners like Saku Koivu.
As a retiring Counselling and Treatment, addiction and mental heath program worker, my 30th year, I will with absolute certainty state, I KNOW MORE THAN YOU regarding this issue. Take your arrogance and shove it!!

As a retiring Counselling and Treatment, addiction and mental heath program worker, my 30th year, I will with absolute certainty state, I KNOW MORE THAN YOU regarding this issue. Take your arrogance and shove it!!
Then you of all people should know that Price has done next to nothing and doesn't deserve any trophies for it.

No it is judgemental, and a new low even for you.

We don’t know the facts at all, but it would not be surprising if this was caused by pain management - a well known underlying cause of substance abuse.
I said from the get-go that the team medical staff were likely responsible for creating his addiction and then pretending not to notice it all throughout last season's playoff run. But later it was revealed (or in some way signed off on by Price himself) that the addiction wasn't painkillers but more "recreational" types of drugs. I was never certain about whether this was in fact true. It conveniently passed responsibility away from the team and on to the individual, which is how corporate entities like the Habs would want it to be. And as to what the Habs promised Price in return for him taking the fall, one could only speculate.

I said from the get-go that the team medical staff were likely responsible for creating his addiction and then pretending not to notice it all throughout last season's playoff run. But later it was revealed (or in some way signed off on by Price himself) that the addiction wasn't painkillers but more "recreational" types of drugs. I was never certain about whether this was in fact true. It conveniently passed responsibility away from the team and on to the individual, which is how corporate entities like the Habs would want it to be. And as to what the Habs promised Price in return for him taking the fall, one could only speculate.

If you look at the Hawks scandal how the league and ownership shoved it under the rug , nothing would surprise me
if the Habs put winning ahead of his health .

I think Carey pushed it to the limit with the blessing of the team

If you look at the Hawks scandal how the league and ownership shoved it under the rug , nothing would surprise me
if the Habs put winning ahead of his health .

I think Carey pushed it to the limit with the blessing of the team
Carey has also been worshipped by everyone within Habs org (multiple ownerships, management & coaches) and also everyone associated w NHL / Hockey Canada - such treatment has been reserved for the elite of the elite of the game, for example like no Hab since Gainey or Le Gros Bill before him…

Probably because he’s always been known as an old school hockey type, who plays w tremendous pain - I.e Gainey w two separated shoulders asking trainers to pop it back in for 3rd period…

And keeps his mouth shut about it
Yes, that is something that the Habs front office and ownership have always valued above most other things: not talking. You look at any player through the years who ever aired the team's dirty laundry in the media (either through their indiscretions or on purpose to a reporter) it always ended badly and it never mattered how big a star the player in question was.

That's what Bergevin loved about Weber over Subban. PK would never shut up and Weber never opened his mouth if he could get away with it.

WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou, I enjoy the information and opinions you share, but please leave the personal crap out. Price did not ask for the nomination.
Many an athlete got addicted to pain medications, he's not the first or last. Let's not forget the pressures of playing in Montreal. This alone has destroyed careers. Anxiety can be very problematic, ask Drouin.
Although I suspect that pain-surgeries is the problem, one cannot forget that addictions always causes other issues. When one enters my office for a mental health assessment, addictions is always part of the assessment. Anxiety and benzodiazepines for instance, benzo's (Valium family) are also very addictive and is often a favorite. I could name a few less common medications that are addicting. Codeine is a favorite over the counter medication.
I myself, will be having a knee replacement this summer and understand pain management. After 35 years of stopping marijuana, I chose this medication over narcotics and now use pot for pain management on a daily basis. This was a choice which is not available to athletes, unfortunately.

This is today's rant. Not meant to offend!

True enough that Price did not ask to be nominated but whoever did needs to be told to sit down. And that isn't to minimize addiction but to acknowledge the fact that going to a 28 day treatment program does not mean you're cured. Consider the fallout should Price win the award and then fall off the wagon, which I know from experience with a friend of mine is a very real possibility. There would be egg on a lot of faces then. What Price needs is less exposure, not more, and for a lot of reasons both personal and organizational.

28 day treatment are simply the beginning of any sobriety journey. It's an attempt at recognizing the impact on self and others. Then, you do what you wish with the information. Some need to return a few years later, of course. But for some, it is very much the beginning of living properly, with purpose. I have witnessed many happy journeys and unfortunately, many sad stories.

28 day treatment are simply the beginning of any sobriety journey. It's an attempt at recognizing the impact on self and others. Then, you do what you wish with the information. Some need to return a few years later, of course. But for some, it is very much the beginning of living properly, with purpose. I have witnessed many happy journeys and unfortunately, many sad stories.
Exactly. Which is why nominating someone for an award at this early stage of their (hopefully) recovery seems to me like declaring victory, which is tempting fate.

Back