• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

What examples do we have of D like Petry

Do squat until 26 then take off for 5 years in row
Chara & Mark Giordano for starters

BTW - Petry was a 1st pairing Dman playing 1st pair TOI w Oilers, not some 7Dman eating hot dogs in the stands.

Coming to Habs simply provided him right situation..
And going back aways, Brian Rafalski. And even further, Ted Harris. Most of you probably won't remember him, but he was a big part of turning the Habs fortunes around in the mid sixties, and 4 Cups in 5 years followed. I think he was about 28 when he broke into the league.

Not to argue the point, I just found the question interesting. Those are two names (along with Giordano) that came to my mind right away. I'm sure there are other, recent ones.

And going back aways, Brian Rafalski. And even further, Ted Harris. Most of you probably won't remember him, but he was a big part of turning the Habs fortunes around in the mid sixties, and 4 Cups in 5 years followed. I think he was about 28 when he broke into the league.

Not to argue the point, I just found the question interesting. Those are two names (along with Giordano) that came to my mind right away. I'm sure there are other, recent ones.

Rafalski produced from day 1 when he arrived from Europe at 25-26

Gio took off after year 2 with only a few off years before we won his Norris

Petry didnt take off until year 6 in the NHL

Rafalski produced from day 1 when he arrived from Europe at 25-26

Gio took off after year 2 with only a few off years before we won his Norris

Petry didnt take off until year 6 in the NHL
Actually 4th season as a regular, and Inwouldnt call it default since the intention was to have Klefbom - Petry as the 1st pair to grow into the future.

The point is Petry was simply miscast in Edm as 1st pair and perfectly placed w Habs as 2nd pair behind Weber

Reason is simple: Better player, better position value, doesn't look like he's at the end of his career (yet), you get to rid yourself of a bad contract, and you can trade him somewhere else while withholding half his salary.

No chance the Leafs would do it, though. Especially not for Gallagher.

Reason is simple: Better player, better position value, doesn't look like he's at the end of his career (yet), you get to rid yourself of a bad contract, and you can trade him somewhere else while withholding half his salary.

We should be trying to offload Price on them at 50% retention.

With Brown retiring , Gally goes to the Kings at 50% salary retention

I hate covering his salary for years. I suspect he will be on long term injury reserve in a couple years given him style of play and health so far.

cap retention doesnt hurt us , team is moons away from competing

Plus I think you trade it later for a floor team

cap retention doesnt hurt us , team is moons away from competing

Plus I think you trade it later for a floor team
An off season trade with 50% retention is 3.25 per with contract duration of 5 years. It would require a solid return to take that step. They are more likely to see if he can rebound.

Back