• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

that 86 team wasn't superstar laden but it was pretty good
one of the reasons Habs finished 4th in the Division was that Roy sucked in the regular season (.875% vs .923% in the playoffs)

that team was incredible defensively as a team

Reactions: CH1
TLDR Dvorak isn't worth spit

He will need to prove himself under MSL and hopefully build a little value by deadline.

so there you go, debate over.

If IHaveNoPrefrontalCortex agrees with you, you're on the wrong side.
It's called "having and maintaining standards", something that this franchise in many areas abandoned long ago to their detriment. This is one of the very few areas in which the Habs haven't succumbed to the urge to lower standards in order to placate the participation ribbon generation. Price is a first ballot hall of famer and if they want to erect a statue of him in the plaza outside the Bell Centre I have no issue with it. But the retired number thing is reserved only for players who are both in the HHOF AND have won Cups. That's the standard and I don't give a shit about "it's a 32 team league now" and other excuses used to rationalize the celebration of mediocrity. This isn't the Vancouver Canucks and their 50 different uniform designs and team colors in 50 years. This is the Montreal Fucking Canadiens and there are standards to be maintained. I'm sorry if that spoils the Carey Price love-in/jersey retirement ceremony you had planned, Mister Instant Gratification, but your boy didn't meet the criteria. And if they lower that standard to shoehorn him in between all those Cup winners then it does nothing other than to cheapen the honor forever.

It's called "having and maintaining standards", something that this franchise in many areas abandoned long ago to their detriment. This is one of the very few areas in which the Habs haven't succumbed to the urge to lower standards in order to placate the participation ribbon generation. Price is a first ballot hall of famer and if they want to erect a statue of him in the plaza outside the Bell Centre I have no issue with it. But the retired number thing is reserved only for players who are both in the HHOF AND have won Cups. That's the standard and I don't give a shit about "it's a 32 team league now" and other excuses used to rationalize the celebration of mediocrity. This isn't the Vancouver Canucks and their 50 different uniform designs and team colors in 50 years. This is the Montreal Fucking Canadiens and there are standards to be maintained. I'm sorry if that spoils the Carey Price love-in/jersey retirement ceremony you had planned, Mister Instant Gratification, but your boy didn't meet the criteria. And if they lower that standard to shoehorn him in between all those Cup winners then it does nothing other than to cheapen the honor forever.
Time will do more to the honour then adding another jersey.

In 20+ years there will be very few actual memories other then Roy. Old low quality videos and passed down tales won't carry inflated standards.

I'm ok to go 50 years without retiring a jersey if no one meets the standard.
So in coming up with a reply, I saw where my perception differs and am willing to abandon my arguments. I've been approaching this with a what about the fanbase born after the golden era and the players we had to cheer for.

I see it's not about the players though, it's about the team. I've always seen the countless ceremonies as celebration of the individual players, while failing to see it for what is was: a celebration of the team.

Looking at it from that perception, yes the standard should always stay high.

Back