• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

I still think a trade is doable with 2.5 mil cap retention

Team pissed away milking 26, 11 and 31 in deals
I don't see it. But I don't want 2.5 m of dead space on the cap either. Pretty sure in a few years he is gonna be on robidas island anyway

31 was never going to happen

The other two are clear misses.
And the other two were incredibly easy to identify ahead of time too.

Those who shit on me and kept saying I was wrong, that signing Petry, Gallagher, Armia, etc were good ideas and we had to do it? Despite all the historical evidence being on my side? Well, look at that wonderful shit sandwich we're stuck with now and we're going to have to eat it.

Gallagher falling off a cliff was the easiest prediction possible. A player his size with his style of play?

I want you all to think hard & long about this. Next time we have a really good player around the age of 27 a year from free agency, you sure you want to sign him for term & money?

While you have some outliers like Joe Pavelski that defy all logic, most players peak in their early to mid-20s and see a drastic drop off in their play around the late 20s, early 30s, which happens to be at the same time they get their career contracts. The ones who don't seemingly regress at that age bracket, or are just so damn good that even if they regress they're still excellent players? They're usually the ones in discussion for the HHOF.

Dvorak
Hoffman
Armia
Gallagher
Pezzetta

Are all must goes for me

I'm not as concerned over Anderson if he continues to score 20+ a year. Anderson at $5.5m is about where he'll be at scoring 20 and providing physical play.

That said, he's a guy with all the tools and no tool box so he can go. Won't bug me much. Just remember the Habs are already fourth last in hits and moving him would drop them further as he and Xhekaj seem to be the only hitters.
Anderson isn't urgent. Explore it in the offseason.

Pezzetta is rfa (one year left) just don't sign him to any length

Those who shit on me and kept saying I was wrong, that signing Petry, Gallagher, Armia, etc were good ideas and we had to do it? Despite all the historical evidence being on my side? Well, look at that wonderful shit sandwich we're stuck with now and we're going to have to eat it.

Gallagher falling off a cliff was the easiest prediction possible. A player his size with his style of play?

I want you all to think hard & long about this. Next time we have a really good player around the age of 27 a year from free agency, you sure you want to sign him for term & money?

While you have some outliers like Joe Pavelski that defy all logic, most players peak in their early to mid-20s and see a drastic drop off in their play around the late 20s, early 30s, which happens to be at the same time they get their career contracts. The ones who don't seemingly regress at that age bracket, or are just so damn good that even if they regress they're still excellent players? They're usually the ones in discussion for the HHOF.
I was on the trade Gallagher train for a long time.

"If you want loyalty, get a dog." is what The Charlatan said once upon a time.

I wish he had taken his own advice. His blind loyalty & bias to the people he liked sunk us.

In hindsight, it's a travesty that we didn't win a Cup with a core of Price, Markov, MaxPac, Subban, Gallagher & Petry. A complete travesty. With just a little bit of help, we would have won one. We were in great position twice, albeit the second time was a fluke run despite what some here might say. The first time, had we gone more aggressively into getting NHL players, maybe we could have survived losing Price to the Kreider injury until we reached the finals and from there, who knows what would have happened.

Looking at the roster.

5 years left
Gallagher. Nothing we can do here. Hope for LTIR
Anderson. Gotta move on before you cannot.

4 years
Matheson. Who knows. Guess he stays and we hope he doesn't suck.

3 years left
Dvorak. Not the worst as at least he is still youngish.
Armia. Probably stuck with him until maybe his last year at the deadline.
Savard. D are valued so maybe you can make a hockey trade.
Allen. Whatever. We need a goalie though.

2 years left
Edmundson. Trade him at the deadline if you can get something legit back . Otherwise off season or next trade deadline. Do not re sign.

Hoffman. Get whatever you can whenever you can. Do no re sign.

Expiring
Drouin and dadonov. Get something if you can. Retain or whatever.
Monahan. Get something good, retain.

Reactions: CH1

I wish he had taken his own advice. His blind loyalty & bias to the people he liked sunk us.

In hindsight, it's a travesty that we didn't win a Cup with a core of Price, Markov, MaxPac, Subban, Gallagher & Petry. A complete travesty. With just a little bit of help, we would have won one. We were in great position twice, albeit the second time was a fluke run despite what some here might say. The first time, had we gone more aggressively into getting NHL players, maybe we could have survived losing Price to the Kreider injury until we reached the finals and from there, who knows what would have happened.
Pretty sure he knew he was done so gave his pals parting gifts lol

Missing the number 1 centre though. Needed that.

Even with our rebuild. If things go okay instead of great (lotto luck) we can get back to that core but still not a number 1 centre.

MB was only cold blooded with players he didn’t love, like Subban, Markov, Max, etc

With Price and Gallagher, he got down on one knee and cried tears of joys when they agreed to long term commitments

MB was only cold blooded with players he didn’t love, like Subban, Markov, Max, etc

With Price and Gallagher, he got down on one knee and cried tears of joys when they agreed to long term commitments
He was always emotional and it clouded his judgment.

I thought we would be able to get at least 3 good years of Gallagher. I'm not sure we even got one good game out if this contract so far.

Back