• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

Slaf is progressing though. I don't know what you are expecting? He was never a flashy forward, he's a big boy with decent skating and good hands. He will take some time. At least now he's playing with Dvo and Anderson more and it's showing improvement. He had a good game in the loss.

What happens if he goes to Laval and does worse under Houle? I don't trust the coaching rn. Even with the big club.

They need to bring in a stabilizing force as associate coach.
We need to bear in mind that the coaching staff in Laval was inherited by HuGo. They aren't "their guys" and I don't think they want to entrust them with Slaf's development. I don't want anyone named Houle having anything to do with player development.

Slaf is progressing though. I don't know what you are expecting? He was never a flashy forward, he's a big boy with decent skating and good hands. He will take some time. At least now he's playing with Dvo and Anderson more and it's showing improvement. He had a good game in the loss.
As I just posted: production is not the exclusive measure of progress for an 18-year old non elite talent.

Pundits for years were saying how the 2022 draft cuvée was the weakest consensus top-10 talent since 1999 draft…. add to it lack of playing / learning for 16-18 period due to pandemic…

I don't seem him progressing at all.

Define progress for an 18-year old?

Slaf is learning to be a pro, but I find people define progress as production…
I expect him to be generating offense. Don't care if the puck goes in or not. The progression part is that happening more often. Which it has not.

I expect him to be generating offense. Don't care if the puck goes in or not. The progression part is that happening more often. Which it has not.
Slaf already has produced more than Jumbo Joe did as an 18-year old

He hit a wall like all 18-year olds do around 30GP, he’s been starting to pick it up last 3-4 GP. He was the best Habs forward last night by a wide margin.

Development is not instantaneous or linear, again he’s not a generational talent, there were no McDavid, Stamkos, MacKinnons last draft..

I really think this is getting overblown. The team is a tire fire and people are worried about Slafkovsky.

Here's how I see it, the NHL is by far the hardest hockey league in the world and you're either going to make it through all the adversity as a 1OA or you're not.

How many first overalls went to good teams?

I'm not worried about Slafkovsky. As the team gets better he will improve too.
I’d like to see him develop his offensive game and gain confidence, which he would be able to do in Laval. He’s barely touching the puck in Montreal.

I’m not even concerned about Houle coaching - who’s Slaf going to play with that’ll push him to be much better? Belzile?

For all the whining about playing w Evans & Pezzetta - they’re better than what Laval has
That’s fine, I want him to be the primary driver.

He is generating offense. He needs to learn to alter his shot angle. His shots gets blocked way too much.

Slaf already has produced more than Jumbo Joe did as an 18-year old

He hit a wall like all 18-year olds do around 30GP, he’s been starting to pick it up last 3-4 GP. He was the best Habs forward last night by a wide margin.

Development is not instantaneous or linear, again he’s not a generational talent, there were no McDavid, Stamkos, MacKinnons last draft..
Exactly, so no reason to rush him to the NHL at 18. He’s the only player from that draft playing in the NHL.

Back